The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

All my Leica S lenses upgraded to new AF solution

erlingmm

When the press release about the new AF solution for the Leica S lenses came out late March, it included an option to do pre-emptive repair. I decided to send in 5 lenses (one had already been upgraded after AF failure) for full upgrade. No price were given, but David Farkas indicated approx. 400usd/lens.

After 6 weeks I now have all my lenses back, upgraded, and with an extra year guarantee.

I have a long and good relation with my dealer which I attribute to the fact that I was charged less than the above indicated price for the upgrades.

Really happy to have these troubles behind me, and having a complete system that I can fully trust.

Sounds amazing if Leica stepped up their game with regards to hardware reliability, this is what should be expected from a manufacturer of their caliber. You can't always expect, even the best of companies, to make flawless products right out of the gate.

Have you tested the lenses to any degree yet? It would be interesting if they feel somehow different in terms of speed, noise or accuracy in case if the motors have been upgraded.

iiiNelson

Maybe it's me but it seems like the upgrades (read: corrections for reliability) should be offered across the board for all owners of potentially defective items... especially at what the lenses cost new. This was done for M9 owners (I had two with the sensor issue) which is why I was torn about offloading all of my Leica gear at one time or another prior to the S issues. I realize that these are premium items but many manufacturers provide recalls at no cost to the customer for design flaws.

Congrays on the fix though.

msadat

how much was the cost

When the press release about the new AF solution for the Leica S lenses came out late March, it included an option to do pre-emptive repair. I decided to send in 5 lenses (one had already been upgraded after AF failure) for full upgrade. No price were given, but David Farkas indicated approx. 400usd/lens.

After 6 weeks I now have all my lenses back, upgraded, and with an extra year guarantee.

I have a long and good relation with my dealer which I attribute to the fact that I was charged less than the above indicated price for the upgrades.

Really happy to have these troubles behind me, and having a complete system that I can fully trust.[/QUOTE

amur99

5 lenses in 6 weeks - congrats. Meanwhile, I am still waiting for 1 lens that I sent in nearly 10 weeks ago in early March (and the last 1 took around 4 months).

thrice

5 lenses in 6 weeks - congrats. Meanwhile, I am still waiting for 1 lens that I sent in nearly 10 weeks ago in early March (and the last 1 took around 4 months).
Ah but do you have a long and good relationship with your dealer like the OP? I think that's the trick. Knowing the right people is key to getting preferential treatment with some companies.

kuau

Workshop Member
I sent my 4 S lenses into my dealer and just got them all back. Took about 10 weeks.
I'm a happy camper now...

kuau

Workshop Member
I sent my 4 S lenses into my dealer and just got them all back. Took about 10 weeks.
I'm a happy camper now...