The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First impressions of H6D-50c and video

rmueller

Hi,

little has been said about the capability of the HB H6D cameras to shoot video. Since i'm a bit into cinematography with
cameras from Blackmagic and DaVinci Resolve for editing and color grading i did a small test today, few notes:
- H6D can be configured to shoot RAW footage and H.264, when you configure "raw" one gets a 3FV file for each
recording.
- The 3FV file can be brought into Phocus 3.x (used the latest 3.1.5 version) and watched there
- Phocus has the ability to export the 3FV files to CinemaDNG format, the output is a directory with
a whole lot of 8.6MB (2756 × 1552 pixels) .DNG files for the H6D-50c, basically one dng for each frame of recording.
For the H6D-100c, it is full 4K and so the size of the DNG's are bigger, can't tell exactly how big since i don't own a H6D-100c
- The directory with the DNG files can be imported as media to Davinci Resolve and then used for editing and more
importantly for color grading. This is the real advantage IMO, having the ability to bring the raw footage into Resolve, the
most powerful software for color grading in the market today.

It is probably too early to say, but the raw footage seems to be fantastic, primarily due to the shallow depth of field one
can achieve with the H6D when compared to MFT video cameras BUT also with regard to the dynamic range of the footage.
The footage can be tweaked quite intensively in all kind of directions. I'm quite excited by the new options for taking videos
with the H6D.

I will report more about this if folks are interested.

Moderators: Please move to the video cameras section in case you believe it belongs there.

Best Regards,
Ralf

Last edited: