The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a new question of the electronics travel ban, trying to figure alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephengilbert

Expanding the ban to flights from Europe has apparently been "put on hold:"

ALL THAT for nothing. After a reported “high-level” meeting between U.S. and E.U. officials, the plan to restrict large electronic devices from the passenger cabins of flights from Europe to the United States has been put on indefinite hold. According to news reports, European officials were able to convince the American homeland security representatives that the plan was a bad idea, citing serious logistical and safety concerns (see earlier posts below). Further talks are scheduled, however, and it remains possible that an electronics ban of some kind could be enacted in the coming weeks.

The earlier ban, affecting flights from ten airports in eight countries across the Middle East, Morocco and Turkey, remains in place.

http://www.askthepilot.com/tsa-laptop-ban/

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Maybe I stupid or something but if a bomb is indeed placed in my iPad, it is then checked in as luggage and blows up in the hold, doesn't that have the same result as if it was in my hand in the cabin?
Exactly. In addition comes the danger of things being stolen, which happens all the time at airports around the world. And don't believe that a locked Pelican Case or whatever will solve that problem. Tools have been invented to cut through plastic, and even metals lately. Can you believe it?

photo-bowman

i think a film camera will throw TSA completely off, something they might have not seen at all
Sure..... and if not an old Hasselblad 500 or Rolleiflex or anything alike without lightmeter I fear it wont work either. For those cameras got batteries as well....

And just as an afterthought..... why is it safer for a plane I do send a steel box in and be NOT on the plane myself???
One can only hope this wont take general effect......

This whole thing is insane.
I just hope there will be a workable solution for this for all travellers and photographers....

narikin

At the airport right now headed back from Europe. Currently London Heathrow, but just went through Vienna this morning, with an XF + IQ Back + surface Pro 4, all chargers, etc. Not a word was said through multiple x-ray checks, connections, etc.

I think you'll hear a lot more if it becomes a reality. Definitely not one now. So, worry not.

gerald.d

Logically, I would have thought, given that many lenses have metal cases, they should actually be covered by the laptop ban because they present the same security risk: The x-ray machine can't see inside a metal case...
This simply isn't true.

An x-ray machine of the type used at airports will easily "see through" the metal case of a laptop.

This is great info. Could you provide a bit more detail? It sounds like you carried your gear to the gate? Does it get packed and then given back to you at the arrival gate? Or did it get packed and sent to normal baggage claim at SFO? I'm just trying to determine the risk of theft.
This is a service that Emirates (and I believe Etihad and Turkish Airlines also offer) offers. You take everything with you to the gate, where all carryon luggage is hand searched regardless. They then carefully pack everything into these cardboard boxes that are then zip tied closed. They give you a claim tag. In SFO, they have a special area in the baggage claim where they bring all the boxes out and then an agent verifies the claim tag and then gives you the box. They also help you open it there and verify everything is there. Oh and at the time of packing they also take an inventory of what is getting packed. IMO the risk of theft with this service is very low.

photo-bowman

At the airport right now headed back from Europe. Currently London Heathrow, but just went through Vienna this morning, with an XF + IQ Back + surface Pro 4, all chargers, etc. Not a word was said through multiple x-ray checks, connections, etc.

I think you'll hear a lot more if it becomes a reality. Definitely not one now. So, worry not.

I had a similar experience a few days ago. Did not take MF gear but a Canon 1Dx and an old Rolleiflex plus lenses, tablets chargers and one of those NexTo-Cardreader Harddrives. Packed it all up in plastic boxes for the transport (and my own sorting). Gotten through airport security in Frankfurt/Germany and Dublin.

Bigger problem was to convince those "heros" at the checks to handcheck my 120-film! In Dublin they plain refused and Xrayed them... held me breath all the way till I got them developed.

Let us all hope it gets sorted!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
According to the article, Secretary of Homeland Security, John Kelly, said ”Terrorists are "obsessed” with "knocking down an airplane in flight, particularly a US carrier if it's full of mostly US folks.”

Then the question is, with the current, apparently too weak, security regulations, why haven't the terrorists done that then (No, attacks against Russians don't count. He's talking about Americans.)? Not since Lockerbie anyway (correct me if I'm wrong), which again was done with a bomb in an electronic device in the cargo hold.

Me thinks the guy is out to scare you guys.

stngoldberg

According to the article, Secretary of Homeland Security, John Kelly, said ”Terrorists are "obsessed” with "knocking down an airplane in flight, particularly a US carrier if it's full of mostly US folks.”

Then the question is, with the current, apparently too weak, security regulations, why haven't the terrorists done that then (No, attacks against Russians don't count. He's talking about Americans.)? Not since Lockerbie anyway (correct me if I'm wrong), which again was done with a bomb in an electronic device in the cargo hold.

I listened to the interview on "MEET THE PRESS"
Kelly's only motive is to keep the public safe, and while that may greatly inconvenience us, the alternatives are absent
Stanley

jdphoto

Definition of Obtuse

not able to think clearly or to understand what is obvious or simple

So, Russian lives don't matter. The lives from Egypt don't matter. Passengers flying over Ethiopia don't matter. Maylasia flight 370 doesn't count because Americans were not the target. UTA flight 772 enroute to Paris over the Sahara doesn't count. Philippines airlines, the 224 people flying from Egypt to St. Petersburg, Russia in 2015 don't count either. The evolution of the technique of Islamic terrorism in their quest to do harm to countless innocent civilians should be of no concern to you a long as ignorance feeds the political correctness of today's modern society. A shining, glittering example that's simply breath taking! It must be Russian collusion and not the content of exposed emails or the sharing of intel that has puts us at the greatest risk. Yeah, it must be that.

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Like Roger Dunham, I am through arguing about the wisdom or politics surrounding this matter. I am assuming it will happen and planning various strategies to deal with it for the two European trips I have planned this year. Nor, by the way, do I intend to plead with some security chap in Budapest that my lenses are actually not dangerous. I am getting additional insurance and making sure the new H6D-100c and lenses are covered in this situation, and buying the appropriate Pelican cases and locating shipping points for returning my gear to the US.

tim

Last edited:

jdphoto

Like Roger Dunham, I am through with arguing about the wisdom or politics surrounding this matter. I am assuming it will happen and planning various strategies to deal with it for the two European trips I have planned this year. Nor, by the way, do I intend to plead with some security chap in Budapest that my lenses are actually not dangerous. I am getting additional insurance and making sure the new H6D-100c and lenses are covered in this situation, and buying the appropriate Pelican cases and locating shipping points for returning my gear to the US.

tim
I was warned while planning a trip to Baghdad to not use long lenses because they look like missile launchers. Might be best with an iPhone or mirrorless.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Beyond the possible airline restrictions ...I am much more concerned about being mugged . Insurance wouldn t help much if the robber decides to take you out . M s are pretty low profile ...but I have been warned now on my last two trips to hide them more on the street .

My approach for my trip to France/Switzerland is to assume I can take 4 small M lenses on the plane with me and ship the 2 M bodies home . I will be in Paris near a Leica Store so I am pretty confident I can ship them home in a well packed cardboard shipping box .

I agree that a Pelican would be better but then I would have to drag the darn case all over until the return trip .

Can anyone provide a typical price per thousand for insurance and any limitations for international losses .

Status
Not open for further replies.