The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech cam adapter plate for Phase IQ3xx backs

Frederic

According to various Alpa resellers, a new adapter plate is needed for IQ3xx series backs to accommodate the additional powershare pins. It's a bit surprising since the Arca-Swiss standard Mamiya plate fits my IQ3100 perfectly, for instance.

Can Alpa users please confirm that new XF plate is indeed mandatory ?

Thanks,
Frederic

dchew

It is not mandatory, at least in my opinion. I am still using the old one from my IQ180 with the 3100. The two outer-most pins get pressed in when you mount it, but I cannot see how that matters. It has been working fine for about 1 year.

Dave

beano_z

According to various Alpa resellers, a new adapter plate is needed for IQ3xx series backs to accommodate the additional powershare pins. It's a bit surprising since the Arca-Swiss standard Mamiya plate fits my IQ3100 perfectly, for instance.

Thanks,
Frederic
I understood that by not having a cut-out to accommodate the extra pins, one could not guarantee that the pins aren't somehow electrically connected, with the potential risk that a misconception could cause errors or malfunctions.

I was told that if you didn't want to upgrade, you could use some electrical tape to cover the exposed metal in the area where the pins would touch the adapter to make sure no electrical connections could be made.

Anyway, it's all I got from my local ALPA dealer and I didn't try it out since I was moving to the M-mount from another platform, hence had to purchase a new adapter anyway. Hope this helps.

Paul2660

Thanks,
Frederic
I had the old Arca 645 plate and mine did not accommodate the extra pins, I had to purchase a new one from Arca. rm3di mount.

Not sure what issues might come from having the 2 extra pins in contact with the plate.

Paul Caldwell

kdphotography

I think the new adapter plate (and also new protective metal plate for the IQ3 series MFDBs) is out of an abundance of caution to avoid potential wear and tear on the new pins coming into contact with the old plate.

ken

Frederic

Thanks all for sharing your experiences ! Sounds like it should work correctly with the pre-XF version then, like my Arca plate does too.

Stephen : I've been thinking about enlarging the recess too, just to be nice with those extra pins, but I'm a bit worried about altering the plate planarity... If I find someone with the appropriate equipment I may give it a go and report back.

algrove

Visited Alpa today.

Asked this question and they said that the 2 pins that contact the older plate are not powered.So no problem other than tension on the two outer pins.

Frederic

Visited Alpa today.

Asked this question and they said that the 2 pins that contact the older plate are not powered.So no problem other than tension on the two outer pins.
Thanks. Just to make it more confusing, I was told today there are actually 3 different Mamiya plates...

Officially, the IQ3xx compatibility is as follows :

- MA645A : doesn't fit
- MA645AB : ok
- XF : ok

algrove

Thanks. Just to make it more confusing, I was told today there are actually 3 different Mamiya plates...

Officially, the IQ3xx compatibility is as follows :

- MA645A : doesn't fit
- MA645AB : ok
- XF : ok
I was discussing the MA645AB with Alpa.