The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Interesting Surface Pro 4 alternative:

narikin

For those of us working on location tethered, an interesting Surface Pro 4/5 alternative is here:

Eve ? made by us.

It has 2x USB-3 and USB-C, and Thunderbolt 3. Apparently the screen has one more anti-reflective layer than the SP range.

Cheaper than Microsoft's own, and seems to have great specs, although the one thing that bothers me is is it's Core m3-7Y processors, which are the mobile 'Core' versions, (it's confusing...) and not as powerful as full Core i3/5 ones in Pro laptops. Not sure how quick an image would preview at 100% for live view focus.

Battery is a bit bigger, so better life, with the efficient processor extending it even further. There's a wait list to get it though.

kdphotography

I'm not familiar with all the designations after the chip names, but it seems like this would be a great SP alternative---It's still core i5 or core i7, up to 16GB RAM and runs full Windows OS. I'd put more weight behind the 16GB of RAM driving Live View and C1 Pro than the version of core i5/i7 (assuming otherwise a real core i5/i7 chip).

Might be time to update my old SP2. Hey Graham! Could this possibly be the second Windows product you've ever bought?!? :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For those of us working on location tethered, an interesting Surface Pro 4/5 alternative is here:

Eve ? made by us.

It has 2x USB-3 and USB-C, and Thunderbolt 3. Apparently the screen has one more anti-reflective layer than the SP range.

Cheaper than Microsoft's own, and seems to have great specs, although the one thing that bothers me is is it's Core m3-7Y processors, which are the mobile 'Core' versions, (it's confusing...) and not as powerful as full Core i3/5 ones in Pro laptops. Not sure how quick an image would preview at 100% for live view focus.

Battery is a bit bigger, so better life, with the efficient processor extending it even further. There's a wait list to get it though.
Interesting new computers are being launched all the time now, and with the stronger competition comes better prices, better performance and enhanced functionality. I already have a 12" Chuwi tablet with great features although low on performance. This seems to be a few steps up the ladder, so many steps up that it may challenge my usual Apple upgrade scheme.

kdphotography

I believe that is the Wacom model that David Grover was using teaching the C1 Pro class last month at CI in Bluff, UT. Pretty neat tool---but much larger and heavier than the SP or Eve V alternative. You need to get the Wacom too... :D

narikin

Yeah, the Wacom is good, but more for people who are working on location in a studio. But for anyone carrying their gear, or needing serious portability, then its Surface Pro or its equivalents. I can fit an SP4 into my regular Tamron camera shoulder bag, alongside Alpa Max setup, and go just about anywhere.

Thankfully Microsoft have developed a new market niche here, (Microsoft!) and others are jumping in with look-alikes.