The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firewire cable (cheap or expensive)

Bakody

Hi,
I'm new to the word of digital back and now I'm confused which firewire cable is good for me. I will use it with a leaf c-most back and between firewire cables there are big price differences. What's the difference between cheap firewire cables, like this: Access Denied Ebay search, cheap firewire 800-400 cable.
and between this: https://www.digitalback.com/product/phase-one-firewire-800-to-400-cables/
Both of them is fine to use? Are you using this cheap firewire cable?

kdphotography

The cheap cables may work fine, but they are definitely not heavy duty as the better cable you have listed. Outside of 3ft vs 14.8 feet in length---if you go the cheap route, I'd make sure to have a few extra on hand just in case. I have a new Phase FW800 and FW400 cable and they are definitely heavier than the other FW cables I have on the shelf. Can't tell you about the innards and power charging differences as I don't use the FW cables for shooting.

ken