The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech cam or XF outfit - Iceland end of june

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Fortunate work circumstances have me stopping over for 6 nights in Iceland at the end of June. Taking my Leica but torn between my Actus DB+ with lenses up to 210mm vs XF up to 240 or 300mm. MFDB Will be IQ3100 so ISO not really limited but I can only take one MF camera system for logistical reasons.

anyone else shot the midnight sun season with tech cams? Wind, rain, hail to still consider? First instincts say take the technical camera but I'm interested in others experiences at the end of June and whether the XF is the better bet.

Last time I went to Iceland was in march so a different perspective vs late June.

GrahamWelland

Btw probably hitting the main waterfalls - Skoggfoss, Selandjafoss, Kirkjufellfoss, maybe dettfoss/ godafoss if we can fit it in.. Plus obviously Vik area but perhaps more Snaefellness peninsula this time vs central or north loop.

Christopher

Currently I'm in Iceland for 4 weeks. Got with me IQ3100/IQ180 (XF system and the Arca Swiss system) and the GFX. So far (in two weeks) I have shot 1TB of files with the GFX and 128GB with the IQ180 /XF combination. The IQ180 and Arca haven't left the bag.

This doesn't mean there aren great landscapes for a tech camera. So far the reasons have been. Lots of rain and even snow in the north. When it is really raining I just feel more comfortable getting the GFX soaked compared to the XF.

The problem I had with the tech camera so far was the wind. It was so windy that the much heavier XF was not stable on the tripod. The Arca with the sunshade and everything just catshes the wind to easily.

This can change a lot and I expect to use the Arca as well but to get back to your question go with the XF if only one system. Don't forget and filters for all these waterfalls.

GrahamWelland

Thanks Christopher. The wind/rain was my biggest concern, especially with a bellows camera. I was hoping that by now now things might be less "Icelandic" ...

I'll be there from the 20th.

rayyen

If it's rain, or horizontal wind, shouldn't just find a shelter? No good light no good photo. Also agree that a sturdy tripod is more important, nail / spiky tripod is a must, I find my gitzo series 3 really reliable on Iceland. If I go again, I might just take my 4116.

algrove

Graham

I know you are seasoned, traveling photographer, however, you mentioned taking your M on this trip. Just a reminder, Leica M's and M lenses are not weather resistant/sealed. That being said I have shot over the recent years in the rain with my M's, but always tried to use a shower cap or better. If I recall you have a Monochrom so I certainly understand the want to take it along.

For driving rain I use a Q or RX11R2 as I figure a sealed lens/body combination better than interchangeables in those situations.

vjbelle

Graham..... When I was in Lofoten I had with me a DB+ and an STC. I was fortunate to have my wife with me to hold an umbrella if conditions warranted. Wind, though, was the big culprit. In my estimation no camera with a long lens can withstand the consequences of strong wind. I did find that triggering the 3100 with my iPhone did help as I could wait for a lull and then instantly fire the camera. When I go I will only take with me my DB+....

Have a great time......

Victor

rayyen

I'm planning a visit to lofoten too this winter, any valuable sharing? Places must go? Things must prepare? I'm still thinking IQ2 or simply 4116... hope by then XH adaptor will arrive...sigh...

Graham..... When I was in Lofoten I had with me a DB+ and an STC. I was fortunate to have my wife with me to hold an umbrella if conditions warranted. Wind, though, was the big culprit. In my estimation no camera with a long lens can withstand the consequences of strong wind. I did find that triggering the 3100 with my iPhone did help as I could wait for a lull and then instantly fire the camera. When I go I will only take with me my DB+....

Have a great time......

Victor

tcdeveau

I went at the end of May a few years ago and wind and rain were still big issues. I imagine June wouldn't be much different, and if it were me, I'd leave the tech cam at home and stick with the XF. Then again, most of the places you mention you can simply drive up and pop out of the car quickly to shoot, so the tech cam would probably be ok too as long as you're careful and dry off/out your gear well in between shooting locations.

FWIW when I went this past March, the locals in south Iceland (around the Glacier Lagoon and Hofn) said they thought the weather in the south was best in November...

M

mjr

We have a house in the North, in Akureyri, I have photographed all year round and have found I used the XF much more than the Cambo, mainly due to the crappy weather and also to some extent the spray from a lot of the waterfalls, I have shot plenty with the tech cam there and it's certainly doable but a lot of the time I have the camera under a rain coat, bring it out and shoot, it's definitely a lot easier. I will be returning this year with the GFX and really looking forward to it! Lofoten is a good drive from me here, I much prefer crappy weather than fine weather, and whilst I shot a lot with the Cambo there, again it was the XF that got the most work. I'm sure you will get some excellent shots regardless of what you take but if it was a choice of only one system, it would be the XF for me every time.

Enjoy!

Mat

hcubell

I was in the Central Highlands of Iceland for 12 days last September. Almost non stop wind and rain. My Hasselblad H2 and my IQ180 both failed after 2 days, despite my best efforts to shield them from the elements. IMO, this is not an environment for a tech camera. Not sure about how weatherproof the XF/IQ100 would be in these conditions. The only medium format digital system I would be confident about is the GFX and possibly the X1D. The X1D and lenses are supposed to be weatherproof, but I haven't tested them. Be sure to bring backup and LOTS of microfiber cloths to wipe your lenses.
BTW, these are actually fantastic conditions for photography in parts of Iceland. No sunrise and sunset stuff, but there is already too much of that.

vjbelle

I'm planning a visit to lofoten too this winter, any valuable sharing? Places must go? Things must prepare? I'm still thinking IQ2 or simply 4116... hope by then XH adaptor will arrive...sigh...
So as not to hijack this thread I'll keep this brief. Lofoten is fairly small and the Southern portion has lots of photographic opportunities. If you Google 'Lofoten photographic locations' you should come up with a host of opportunities. Most importantly is to stay long enough...... 6 full days is the minimum due to weather..... I'm sure this applies to Iceland as well.

Victor

GrahamWelland

Damn - sounds like the big pelican is coming with me later today. Was hoping to keep it down to the Cambo/leica outfit but luckily I'm flying business so a big pelican with the XF can go with me just in case. Just makes the shared 4x4 camper with my buddy I'm meeting up with more crowded!!

MILESF

Would echo the general feeling from this thread that the XF would be better than a technical camera for such a trip. Before a January 16 trip to Hokkaido I dithered between the XF and the Rm3Di but at the last minute took the XF and a RX1r as backup. Had lots of falling snow but only light winds and Iceland in June will be different of course. The XF and RX1r both coped well in these conditions. The Rm3Di wouldn't have done. I had a couple of Osprey sacks to put over the camera which kept the snow off and a small white umbrella which also helped. If Iceland is windy it may well also be dusty and/or wet so again not sure a tech camera would work for me.

One other factor is that I tend to use the Arca when I am shooting solo and can go at my own slow pace. If shooting with others I'd tend to take the XF for speed.

hcubell

Damn - sounds like the big pelican is coming with me later today. Was hoping to keep it down to the Cambo/leica outfit but luckily I'm flying business so a big pelican with the XF can go with me just in case. Just makes the shared 4x4 camper with my buddy I'm meeting up with more crowded!!
Have a great trip. I long to return. Here is an example of a photograph I made in Iceland in horrific conditions while hiking along the edge of canyon. It's a whole different mindset!

_DSC4199-copy.jpg

msstudio

I've been to Iceland a couple of times, mostly late winter and spring, overall the weather changes all the time. Everytime we've been there there was some weather related delay, last time, beginning of May, we were stuck at our hotel for 24hrs due to high winds (rocks and a couch were flying, literally). While there might be time to set up a technical camera, ease of use, and maybe a filter, are supreme. I love a tripod like the next one, but often feel the flexibility of a portable system trump most of it. So I would go XF all the way with an emphasis on zoom lense due to high winds, dust, etc. btw, we stayed at Fosshotel Glacier lagoon, very nice dining and quarters, having a serious SUV was nice as well. Be safe and give yourself some time for unforeseen events. It's still a wild country, respect the environment. And have fun.

Stuart Richardson

I live here and you just make do with what you have. I have been shooting mostly 4x5 for the last year or so, a lot of it at night in the winter with flash. Sometimes the wind blows the camera around. Sometimes it rains. Sometimes the rain gets on the camera. Life goes on. I know you are already here, but I would bring the camera you feel most comfortable with and something to cover it with or a bag for when the sideways rain starts. MJR is right that usually the photos look nicer when the weather is a little off. I think they are better when it is drifting in and out of rain, more than when it is torrential. The main thing is to be flexible. If the wind is blowing a gale and the rain is going sideways, you can either shoot from inside a car or house etc, or just wait. You have to be flexible here, as the weather can truly affect plans, particularly in the highlands. You might be just fine in whatever town you are in, but as soon as you gain a few hundred meters and get further from the sea, all bets are off. That said, late June is about as tame as we get, so I doubt you will have any big problems aside from wind or rain.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Having seen firsthand the way you pack, I'm surprised your paring it down to one MF kit this time :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

(Sorry Graham, couldn't resist!!!)

Seriously, given the weather and shooting conditions, I'd take the XF with your favorite lens, your widest lens, and one of the teles. MF kit done.

GrahamWelland

I'm still here in Iceland.

For the curious, I brought XF IQ3100 and 35LS, 75-150 D and 240LS. Mostly have shot with my Leica M10 and 16-21, 35FLE and 90/2.8 Elmarit-M due to pretty wet & windy conditions.