The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V focusing screens and calibration

tjv

Have received camera and it's brilliant, very happy.

See now that pictures deceiving, as focusing screen is old style with black cross hair. Is very bright though, which surprised me. Can see I will definitely need new screen with split prism to use with confidence with my Credo. In the meantime I think I'll simply enjoy shooting black and white film for a bit.

Now I remember why I loved V cameras so much back in the day.

dave.gt

Have received camera and it's brilliant, very happy.

See now that pictures deceiving, as focusing screen is old style with black cross hair. Is very bright though, which surprised me. Can see I will definitely need new screen with split prism to use with confidence with my Credo. In the meantime I think I'll simply enjoy shooting black and white film for a bit.

Now I remember why I loved V cameras so much back in the day.
Cool! Congratulations!!!! I love mine!:)

dave.gt

What kind of screen are you getting and what does he charge? Am tempted...
Ah, the temptation Dante warned us about...:)

Bill has several options... I am waiting to define my chosen style with the square format before I order one, but the price is not cheap. IIRC, it is upwards of $400 but you may be able to trade in your current screen for a break.

I, too, am toying with the CFV50c which comes with its own screen... I think. But I really need the best screen possible for my own work (film)... my eyes are not getting sharper! So, the price, though substantial, is not a deal killer...

I am leaning toward the split view. But which one, not so sure yet. I will order mine soon though.

Good luck with deciding which screen, and shoot lots with the new V camera!!!:)

photo-bowman

I, too, am toying with the CFV50c which comes with its own screen... I think. But I really need the best screen possible for my own work (film)...
... it came with my package here in Germany - that much I can tell you.
Not sure if that is the general rule.

tjv

Thanks for the info. In what way are his screens better than the AM screens though? Are the fined grained? Or are they brighter with better contrast?

Ah, the temptation Dante warned us about...:)

Bill has several options... I am waiting to define my chosen style with the square format before I order one, but the price is not cheap. IIRC, it is upwards of $400 but you may be able to trade in your current screen for a break.

I, too, am toying with the CFV50c which comes with its own screen... I think. But I really need the best screen possible for my own work (film)... my eyes are not getting sharper! So, the price, though substantial, is not a deal killer...

I am leaning toward the split view. But which one, not so sure yet. I will order mine soon though.

Good luck with deciding which screen, and shoot lots with the new V camera!!!:)

jng

I have read (and been told) that the brightness of the Acute Matte screen comes at the expense of the sharp roll-off between in-focus and out-of-focus elements found in the older style ground glass screens, and that this is inherent in the design that makes them brighter. I have not done a back-to-back comparison myself, however. I'm curious whether the Maxwell screens are different/better from the Acute Mattes in this regard.

John

tjv

I just tried contacting Bill via the email address listed on his Facebook page, but the address doesn't exist...

dave.gt

I just tried contacting Bill via the email address listed on his Facebook page, but the address doesn't exist...
Interesting. It is 6am here, I will text him later this morning since you are in NZ, and ask if he has an updated email address. We will be on the road until late this afternoon so it will be some time before I can let you know the result.

tjv

Thanks, that's a great help! Much appreciated.

I've been looking on fleabay and it seems pretty dodgy as to what products are genuine vs fake, so better to buy from someone like Bill that people can vouch for.

In the meantime, I'll keep scouring the internet...

TJV

Interesting. It is 6am here, I will text him later this morning since you are in NZ, and ask if he has an updated email address. We will be on the road until late this afternoon so it will be some time before I can let you know the result.

tjv

As mentioned before in the thread, this Acute Matte D screen is quite a bit cheaper but has the crop marks for the 50c sensor–in black.

LINK

A quick Google search brought up this official PDF of recent screens:

LINK 2

The one with the crop marks for the CFV-39 is a good $100USD more expensive than the one for the 50c, but both are Acutte Matte D.

ChrisLivsey

The older original Hasselblad screens were "dim" but had a high contrast. The first series Minolta Acute Matte screens were heavily criticised for being hard to focus by pro photographers and the second release "D" was re-designed, by Minolta, to address the issue, how far that succeeded is open to debate.
The increase in brightness was accompanied by a corresponding decrease in contrast and it is the contrast by which focus is achieved if aids are not used, the pop, brightness aids composition. The general view is always "I want a bright screen" but be careful what you wish for.
By preference I use a split screen with a lowly P20 back an Acute Matte "D" screen. That gives IMHO the best of both worlds, brightness and accuracy, with a chimney finder either the Hasselblad or a x4 by Hartblei designed for crop sensors. Hasselblad also made a 4x4 DPS chimney 72534 which is rarely seen with a 5.5x mag. I have seen some at around £500. The downside, sorry, is the split screen does need careful vertical alignment of the viewing eye to work without blacking out which again it is prone to do even when lined up on longer focal lengths, (does the longer mirror make a difference?) it works best with a prism or chimney finder not waist level because the eye is forced into a more precise lineup . It is workable of course on waist level but can be frustrating.
There is no one best screen for manual focus, that's why Nikon made 23 different ones for the F3 and Hasselblad around 8 in the catalogue at any one time varying over the years in the designs available. Thanks for the screen pdf post I had not seen that. It is failing that Hasselblad did not in some way identify their screens with a code, as stated this leads to a lot of mis-selling both intentional and accidental.

tjv

Thanks for the reply.

My 'standard' screen is actually pretty bright and contrast not brilliant but it's not unworkable, so I'm happy to use it for film work but not without some distrust. I think I'm just used to focusing with a 12x loupe on the GG of my Linhof Techno, where things are just in focus or they're not. With the longer focus throw of the 60mm Hasselblad / Zeiss lens though, I find myself rocking backwards and forwards quite a bit, trying to ascertain where the focus is actually falling. That's where the split screen and microprism would really help.

Thanks again for your detailed reply.

The older original Hasselblad screens were "dim" but had a high contrast. The first series Minolta Acute Matte screens were heavily criticised for being hard to focus by pro photographers and the second release "D" was re-designed, by Minolta, to address the issue, how far that succeeded is open to debate.
The increase in brightness was accompanied by a corresponding decrease in contrast and it is the contrast by which focus is achieved if aids are not used, the pop, brightness aids composition. The general view is always "I want a bright screen" but be careful what you wish for.
By preference I use a split screen with a lowly P20 back an Acute Matte "D" screen. That gives IMHO the best of both worlds, brightness and accuracy, with a chimney finder either the Hasselblad or a x4 by Hartblei designed for crop sensors. Hasselblad also made a 4x4 DPS chimney 72534 which is rarely seen with a 5.5x mag. I have seen some at around £500. The downside, sorry, is the split screen does need careful vertical alignment of the viewing eye to work without blacking out which again it is prone to do even when lined up on longer focal lengths, (does the longer mirror make a difference?) it works best with a prism or chimney finder not waist level because the eye is forced into a more precise lineup . It is workable of course on waist level but can be frustrating.
There is no one best screen for manual focus, that's why Nikon made 23 different ones for the F3 and Hasselblad around 8 in the catalogue at any one time varying over the years in the designs available. Thanks for the screen pdf post I had not seen that. It is failing that Hasselblad did not in some way identify their screens with a code, as stated this leads to a lot of mis-selling both intentional and accidental.

tjv

Thanks mate,

I will definitely get a screen from him. His new ones are quite a bit cheaper than acute matte d screens on eBay. More expensive than the OEM CFV-50c screen, but considering he can etch custom crop marks etc well worth the premium, IMHO. Will reply to him when I get home, although the purchase might have to wait until next pay day...

Cool, I talked with him awhile ago and he remembered your email and said he responded to you. Good luck with the choices!:)

tjv

Amazingly, Bill called me today in NZ all the way from the other side of the world!

He also sent the below note via email, which might be of use to some people:

"I make two HI-LUX screens for the interchangeable screen Hasselblad models (such as your 500C/M). These screens are user interchangeable and do not require any tools or adjustment (presuming that the camera is currently focusing correctly with the original factory screen). These screens are:

(1) HI-LUX Brilliant Matte - the entire screen is a brilliant, contrasty, high clarity all matte field - $395.00 - available with (a) no lines, (b) vertical/horizontal 645 crop lines - $10.00, (c) grid lines - $10.00, or (d) Rule of Thirds lines - $10.00

(2) HI-LUX Micro/Split RF (Type II) - a horizontal* split image rangefinder (4 mm diameter) surrounded by a microprism doughnut (7 mm diameter) which is surrounded by a very bright matte field - $395.00 - available with (a) no lines, (b) vertical/horizontal 645 crop lines - $10.00, (c) grid lines - $10.00, or (d) Rule of Thirds lines - $10.00 *(the split image rf may also be used vertically)"

arionelli

I'm in New Zealand, so closest service centre is probably Melbourne, Australia, although it's possible they might have the equipment in Auckland. Trying to get my ducks in a row and figure out the hidden costs... still waiting to find out what focusing screen the CM I'm looking at has. Have already ascertained it has the newer folding WLF.

With regards the 60mm lenses, are there differences between them? Am I right in thinking the CF and CFi are optically the same? Is it a pretty good lens stopped down to f5.6?
Hassy dealer for Oz etc. is CR Kennedy, whose main hq are in NZ...my guess is they can set it up OK for you...someone please correct me if I'm erring...there's another good Hassy guy at their Adelaide office who was born near the Hass factory and has many years of experience servicing them - Lars Carlson (spelling?)...my info is close to a decade old though. ;-)
Other thing wrt viewfinders, the Hartblei for Hasselblad is great and my preference for waist level...4X I think, adjustable for most eyes and nice rubber eyepiece, 50x50mm viewing...google or ebay them...I didn't read the whole thread yet so apologies if someone has already covered this...
btw tests by Zeiss as stated on Photo.net have shown the 60/3.5 (which CFi and CB versions are optically identical) to be their highest resolving lens for Hasselblad V other than the superachromats, though it may some chromatic abberations. Fwiw...
Martin