The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V focusing screens and calibration

Jan

It is my understanding that Team Phase One backs also use the pin signal to "wake up" the back then the sync cord to trigger the capture. There are several reports of poor sync where the advice from Team Phase One was to ensure the pin was extending correctly and was bright metal, cleaning if necessary.
Depends on the camera system. Mounted on a Hasselblad V or SWC there is no need for wake up. You connect the sync cable and use the shutter on the camera. When I mount my Phase One on my Linhof 612 digital slider I have to use the wake up function on my sync cable before I can exposure using the lens shutter mechanism.

tjv

Thanks, Graham. Do you know how much if any of the area outside the central 40x40 area is visible if you peer into the chimney from an angle?

John
Am I right in thinking it's only really good for cropped chips? I.e. A 'full frame' Dalsa CCD will not be able fully visible due to the limited 40x40 crop?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks, Graham. Do you know how much if any of the area outside the central 40x40 area is visible if you peer into the chimney from an angle?

John
IIRC You can peer down and see the entire VF frame. Unfortunately I no longer have a 503 body but I can try it at my dealers tomorrow.

John since I know you, you're welcome to try it if interested as I have two (one new, one without a box that I bought for my CFV-16).

jng

Thanks! Will PM you presently.

IIRC You can peer down and see the entire VF frame. Unfortunately I no longer have a 503 body but I can try it at my dealers tomorrow.

John since I know you, you're welcome to try it if interested as I have two (one new, one without a box that I bought for my CFV-16).

tjv

Finally got my Maxwell screen. To recap, I ended up buying from Bill because I liked the fact he phoned from the other side of the world to talk me through the options; his products are pretty much universally praised and he could add custom crop mark etchings for my Credo 60 sensor. I ordered a split screen with microprism.

Communication from my side of the world was a bit difficult and it took a while for the screen to ship, but it arrived in good shape and all things considered was a relatively smooth transaction. Lets just say though that if you buy from him, don't expect great e-service. You really need to be able to call and talk to him over the phone if you have questions, or be patient and not expect email replies within short time frames.

How’s the screen? To be honest, I +think+ it's about the same as the Acute Matte-D screens I’ve used before. I’d have to compare them side by side, but I’m not sure if I could say one is better than the other. My old screen must have been the original Acute Matte without split image. It was actually brighter than the matte part of the new screen with split image, although seemed to display more detail smearing / weird fringing the further from center I looked. The Maxwell screen is definitely better in that regard. I’m not sure about contrast / focus pop, but I’d say the new and my old one are about equal in the matte part of the screen, with maybe the slight edge going to the Maxwell screen. The real advantage though is the split image and micro prism in the new screen. It’s exactly what the doctor ordered! The image in the spit is very high contrast and easy to assess, and the micro prism is one of the better I’ve used. Excellent! The custom etched crop marks seem very accurate and are a great addition as it means I don’t need to overlay a perspex crop mask in the VF for my back, which would inevitably make the screen harder to see. They are quite hard to see in low light though and if given the option I'd like them to be a bit heavier.

All and all, I’m happy with the purchase but think I might have had too high expectations in some areas. It’s a good purchase simply because its cheaper than buying a second hand acute matte d screen on ebay and essentially crossing fingers and praying for a genuine product, and for me a better option than buying a new acute matte d screen from B&H with bold crop marks for the wrong sensor size. In some ways for some situations I think the plain, bright matte screen without spit image might have been a better option, but I like the visual confirmation of the split image to help me make quicker decisions and be more assertive in the field.

So... Final analysis is that for me the screen was money well spent, although I certainly wouldn't bother if already had an acute matte or acute matte d screen with split image.

Hope that helps others looking into this.

PS: Seems my 500cm focus calibrations is pretty much spot on, too. Maybe 5mm backfocused when focusing my 60mm at minimum focus wide open. Even then, it's probably within the margin of human error, so I'm good to go. Now just gotta send my body off to fix the baffles which no longer close automatically. Needs a new spring, apparently...

Last edited:

ChrisLivsey

Your comprehensive update is appreciated, good advice all round.
The 60mm CF is infinity optimised so optimum sharpness may not be as easy to assess so close up, as I said way back in the thread brightness and focus "snap" are a compromise to bring together. The Phase One focus masks are translucent BTW so the outer field is stopped down but visible as a framing aid.

algrove

Still have a new Acute Matte D split screen. Original with 2 cuts near corner. No longer own a V.

Last edited:

tjv

Before ordering my screen I checked out the price of a VF mask from various places (I didn't get one with my back when buying it used,) and found them insane money. Made the decision to go with the Maxwell screen easier!

Your comprehensive update is appreciated, good advice all round.
The 60mm CF is infinity optimised so optimum sharpness may not be as easy to assess so close up, as I said way back in the thread brightness and focus "snap" are a compromise to bring together. The Phase One focus masks are translucent BTW so the outer field is stopped down but visible as a framing aid.

richardman

I don't have a digital back, but I do have a Acute Matte - without D, for my 203FE. Recently I sold bunch of stuff and got the 110/2 FE, and the focusing and the focus seem to be pretty spot on.

The Acute Matte screen does not "pop" per se, like the 4x5 ground glass, but is good enough for my needs.

ChrisLivsey

Before ordering my screen I checked out the price of a VF mask from various places (I didn't get one with my back when buying it used,) and found them insane money. Made the decision to go with the Maxwell screen easier!
There are various size guides and templates out there and with little hunting a plastic sheet can be found, maybe a scratched ND filter? I have two, one official with Phase One logo and another a littler cruder in cut and edge finish that came at little money and does the job, just personally I prefer the translucent effect rather than etched lines and when I switch to a film back I can pop out the mask in a trice.

Last edited:

tjv

I almost got a friend with a computerised router / cnc machine to make me a mask as you've mentioned, but I got a bit lazy! I might still do it for the times when the etching it difficult to see, eg in very dark environments.

As the quest for gear never concludes, despite my best intentions and efforts, I now focus my attention to small but strong ball heads for my tripod. My Linhof 3D Micro geared head isn't exactly fun to use with the 500cm for how I want to use it. It's perfect for use with my Techno, but the V is for looser shooting! Deeper and deeper I fall into debt...

There are various size guides and templates out there and with little hunting a plastic sheet can be found, maybe a scratched ND filter? I have two, one official with Phase One logo and another a littler cruder in cut and edge finish that came at little money and does the job, just personally I prefer the translucent effect rather than etched lines and when I switch to a film back I can pop out the mask in a trice.

dave.gt

I almost got a friend with a computerised router / cnc machine to make me a mask as you've mentioned, but I got a bit lazy! I might still do it for the times when the etching it difficult to see, eg in very dark environments.

As the quest for gear never concludes, despite my best intentions and efforts, I now focus my attention to small but strong ball heads for my tripod. My Linhof 3D Micro geared head isn't exactly fun to use with the 500cm for how I want to use it. It's perfect for use with my Techno, but the V is for looser shooting! Deeper and deeper I fall into debt...
Ah, yes, but the images you will see each time after you have released the shutter, they will inspire you to go farther than you can imagine. I, too, look forward to your results! I know they will be sublime.:thumbup: