The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Upgrading Mamiya 645 AFDIII to DF+/CREDO or FUJI GFX?

Shineofleo

I searched around but could not find a similar post so here I am...

I am a huge Fuji fan and I was looking forward to GFX MF all the time. However when it is out now, I hesitated...

I have a Mamiya 645 AFDIII and a few lenses, with a digital back Leaf Aptus II 6. I use it for my portrait work, which is all right, but the tethering is a nightmare (1394 port is simply obsolete), and the LCD is impossible to use. I was checking on CREDO which has nicer view screen and USB 3.0 connection. Of course pricing is important, I think I will start on CREDO 40. However only DF/DF+ can use the CREDO (with new firmware. The old firmware CREDO can work with AFD but it can be painful?).

And now, the total cost of CREDO 40 + Mamiya DF+ body, used, is similar to Fuji GFX 50s, maybe with a lens. How I have a problem:

A, Fuji solution is newer, and smaller, but not many choices of lenses, and, expensive! Yes there is adapter available in the market, but is it going to be good?
B, Leaf CREDO plus Leaf/Phaseone DF+, now I can use all my old 645 lenses, directly!

Any owner could give some ideas? I just want the solution with reasonable money, and easy of use. Better ISO performance could be extra.

Thanks in advance!

Leon

Paul2660

See if you could get a deal on the Credo 50, as it has the same chip as the GFX, basically. Fuji uses a bit different CFA. The Credo 50 gives you both the newer LCD, Credo color profiles, excellent tethering to C1 and you could also pick up the DF+ used. They are often on the various forums for sale, and on ebay. If in the US, try Capture Integration to see if they have a demo back? or used setup in inventory. The other option from P1 is the IQ150, again same back, different profiling for color, but all the same really IMO.

As for the GFX, out of the gate it seems expensive, however considering the body is less than what my IDS MKIII cost in 2005, it's a pretty good deal.

Overall excellent camera, great lenses (3) with 2 more on the way. Note the 110mm F2 should be shipping soon and it should be a great portrait lens. If you add about 4 K more, you can look into the X1D, again great camera. Neither the X1D or GFX have C1 support native, however C1 does a great job on the GFX raw. You will have more flexibility IMO in most regards besides tethering. Flash with HSS on the GFX and supported flashes I have not read too many negatives. I have use the GFX with HSS and for what I do it works fine.

Tethering, you said it best, hard to beat P1 and their tethering. USB3 will make a big difference for you also, and will let you use a more up to data computer/laptop if you want. GFX tethering, IMO is half baked, (if you are used to C1/P1), you can tether into LR however. Not sure about X1D/Phocus, but I am sure there is a good tethering solution.

Paul Caldwell

Shineofleo

Thanks Paul for the excellent advice!

Looking at CREDO 50, suddenly FUJI GFX is not expensive any longer... however I am not sure if Mamiya 645 lenses will perform well still with the adapter ring?

I was lean to CREDO solution previously, no I am on the fence again... lol

Geoff

Upgraded from an Leaf Aptus to a Credo 60, and couldn't be happier. The Credo tethers quite easily with a USB cable (could not really get firewire tethering to work reliably), has fantastic shadow recovery at base ISO, shifts nicely on tech cameras, has oodles of resolution to work with, and works like a charm. The screen is easy to see, the focus confirmation works well, and there is some primitive version of live view, which helps with tech camera focusing. So +1 for Credo, go for the 60 as it has a really big sensor too.