The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

BH-55 - Recommendations?

dave.gt

This forum has been so helpful to me as I have moved from Leica 35mm and digital to MF. You have convinced me about the critical connection between tripod/head/camera, so while I await the tripod and camera, I have decided upon the BH-55 with a couple of questions.

The cost of a new BH-55 is stretching it as the first of many photo shoots begins in a few weeks. Having said that, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a source for used BH-55 heads?
2. Can the panning clamp be added at a later date?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate this community more than I can say with mere words.:)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
BH-55 is my present stills head ... use it on a Gitzo mountaineer CF tripod ... I have the smaller head and it works for small mirrorless cameras but I still prefer the larger head for
almost any situation on a tripod ... I use their clamp for a monopod. Almost any of their clamps can be added to the head at any point .... you may find that adding a panning clamp
is something that you want to be easily removed so mounting it on a small plate that can be secured to the existing clamp may be an option.

I see very few of these used ... and the ones that appear do not stay long. Usually someone going for a cube ...

Of all my photo gear ... the BH-55 has been the longest in my possession .... other cameras, lenses, lights have changed but it is a keeper. Easily cleaned and very smooth.

Good choice!

Bob

jng

Dave,

I have a very lightly used BH55 w/lever clamp that hasn't made it out of the box since I got the Cube. Perhaps it's time for me to find it a new home. PM me if you're interested.

John

dave.gt

If anybody deserves to get a good deal on a BH-55, it's Dave Lackey (dave.gt). His work with Healing Hands and caregivers is inspirational. Read more about it here:

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/journalofhumanitiesinrehabilitation/2017/05/02/healing-hands/

God bless you Dave, and good luck striking a deal with John.

Joe
Thank you for the kind words, Joe. So unexpected, and after a decade, I still do not know what to say when I find the kind person, infrequently, who bestows such kindness upon us. You are much appreciated as are all the others whom I have come to know in a short period of time.

You all inspire us!:thumbup:

dave.gt

Update:

BH-55 is on the way thanks to John. What a great guy! Thank you so much, John.:):):)
Today, I received the Panning Clamp ftom Stephen, wow! All three major pieces en route to my front door this week and the next! Thank you, Steve!

Our pre-shoot venue visit will be much more meaningful now, and I only hope to do those in the selected patients group justice.:thumbup:

jng

Today, I received the Panning Clamp ftom Stephen, wow! All three major pieces en route to my front door this week and the next! Thank you, Steve!
LOL, I forgot to mention that I also have a panning clamp sitting in the closet and looking for a new home. Glad that you found one, in any case!

John