The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

bye bye lexar, RIP

williaty

I saw this myself and was surprised. Basically, what they're saying is they make a higher profit margin selling to Amazon and Google than they do to the public. In light of that, they're stopping retail sales in order to run the factory full time to make what Google and Amazon want. I am shocked they aren't considering 1) That Google and Amazon now know they have a lot of profit in the pricing and no longer have another outlet for the product so, come new order time, there's going to be some hard push down on pricing and 2) When Google and Amazon switch to the new best thing Lexar's parent company is going to be royally screwed when they lose their only remaining customers because they turned away all their other customers in the hunt for big fish.

That's kind of a textbook example of how to kill your business through monoculture.

According to the samples I ever used, Lexar memory cards have been slightly less reliable than Sandisk memory cards, and I'm not a big fan of Micron either (their Crucial SSD caused me lots of issues).

It's probably a loss for the consumers since Lexar used to make some state-of-the-art cards such like CFast 2.0 and XQD, beating the offerings from the other brands.

dchew

:angry:

I liked Lexar because the little plastic lip on the back end is sharper and better defined than Sandisk. Easier to remove from P1 backs.

Dave