The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One P65+ Internal Battery; date time settings

robdeszan

Hello All,

I've noticed that my P65 DB loses its date and time settings if the battery is taken out for a couple of days (I have not measured it exactly it's not an issue if it's a couple of minutes or even hours). I understand there is an internal battery that helps to retain theses settings. Is this normal or should I be looking at replacing the battery? I don't mind resetting them but I am a bit concerned that an old battery could (?) spill and damage the back. Has anyone done a similar service? A quote I got earlier today was a standard servicing fee of 500 euros + vat + shipping here in the UK.

Thanks,
Pat

Paul2660

It's a common problem for that generation of back. I had to replace it 2x in my P45+ over four years, albeit the 2nd time right before I sold it/traded in.

I don't remember if this is something a dealer can service or if it has to go to Milville NY.

As for damage, besides in inconvenience of having to reset the date/time I don't think you have much to worry about.

Paul Caldwell

drevil

Staff member
my p45+ also did that, it was not a big deal for me, i would save the money

SahotaR

I lost the date / time settings on my P25 about 3 years ago or so.
After reading this post, I just remembered someone posting on Phase One Forum that the internal battery can come back to life if the back is left connected to computer via firewire cable

So I did that - left it to 'charge' for 48 hours. After that I removed the camera/back batteries and left it for 24 hours without any power. Put the battery back on again next day it kept the date/time. Not sure how long it will last but its worth a try. I plan to 'charge' at least once a week.

I just wanted to make sure it worked before posting

Hope it helps.

Sahota R

robdeszan

Will give that a go, thanks for the tip Sahota

I lost the date / time settings on my P25 about 3 years ago or so.
After reading this post, I just remembered someone posting on Phase One Forum that the internal battery can come back to life if the back is left connected to computer via firewire cable

So I did that - left it to 'charge' for 48 hours. After that I removed the camera/back batteries and left it for 24 hours without any power. Put the battery back on again next day it kept the date/time. Not sure how long it will last but its worth a try. I plan to 'charge' at least once a week.

I just wanted to make sure it worked before posting

Hope it helps.

Sahota R

SahotaR

It has kept the time/date now for a week.
I usually remove camera and back batteries when not using the camera.
So far its working.

Sahota R

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'd be willing to bet that a P65 tear down to reach the battery is no worse than the Leaf Aptus we've done before.

Of course the obvious question is WTF are the support / maintenance manual for the P45+ series backs.

Last edited:

AndyPtak

I'd be willing to bet that a P65 tear down to reach the battery is no worse than the Lef Actus we've done before.

Of course the obvious question is WTF are the support / maintenance manual for the P45+ series backs.
Does that ever become necessary, or is it just convenient?

The reason I ask is because I have the same issue and I just live with it, but if it eventually affects operation then that's another story.

SahotaR

I lived with it for 3 years.
Its just convenient to have correct date and capture time, helps when sorting images with capture date.