The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D Control Dial Issues

mkerouac

There are a growing number of reports of issues with the X1D post the 1.15.1 Firmware release. Freezing, rebooting, erratic behavior in the control dials.

I did not update to the 1.15.1 firmware and the issues with the dials not controlling the f-stop, shutter speed and even the focus point cropped up on my camera last week. So unless my X1D was able to absorb the new firmware issues by Osmosis, I don't think this is just a firmware issue. I have one of the early 4116 versions that came to the US. Hasselblad support had me send a video of the issue. They are now closed for the holiday. I hope to hear something next week. Fortunately, I only have the issues with the dials. My camera is not freezing or rebooting. That seems to be exclusive to the new firmware release.

Just for reference, I am on 1.15.0, I haven't had any issues with the no card error, so I didn't upgrade to 1.15.1
I did a reset to default settings - no help
I did a factory firmware reset per directions form HB service - no help
I tried A/S/M modes, no difference, dials do not work properly
I tried no lens on the body - not fixed
I tried different lens on the body - not fixed

So whatever is causing this can't be fixed by current firmware. The fact that the issues appeared over time after the camera worked fine for months, has me thinking there is a hardware failure. Some type of position sensor for the dials is not working correctly. There can be multiple scenarios for this. Only some of us have defective parts and they fail at about the same number of hours. Or all the parts are effected and those of us having the issue are just seeing early life failures. Or some version of in between. Although frustrating, HB is responsive and I'm hoping they can get to root cause and corrective action quickly. Summer months aren't going to help. Many Europeans take 3-4 weeks at a time off in the summer.

Downer – so discouraging! Went to CameraWest today to try GFX, saw how small and practical the H1d is, and headed home to do more research. This is the first post I opened. :banghead:

Kirk

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Kirk,

I looked at both and ended up sending almost all of my stuff to Sean at CW ... and now have a X1D.

It is so good that the teething issues do not register ... no thought that I have made a poor choice.

Sensor is very good ... Phocus highlight recovery is stellar and the end result is worth the small nuanced
frustrations that should diminish over time.

It will be a slow process ... import to Phocus ... adjust then export and open with LR. Develop ... very little needing
to be done at this point and export to PS for final adjustments.

To me ... well worth the round trip ....

Light ... built very robustly ... and looks like a large point and shoot.

GFX lets you play with any number of lenses ... personally I have lost interest in leveraging marginal glass for a special look.

I would rather maximize the inherent qualities of the system ... and learn it's limits.

My demo of the X1D convinced me that it was flawed and not worth my time ... a week with the camera has shown me that
it is a bit flawed but worth the extra effort to end up with compelling files.

Regards,

Bob

canuxr

There are a growing number of reports of issues with the X1D post the 1.15.1 Firmware release. Freezing, rebooting, erratic behavior in the control dials.

I did not update to the 1.15.1 firmware and the issues with the dials not controlling the f-stop, shutter speed and even the focus point cropped up on my camera last week. So unless my X1D was able to absorb the new firmware issues by Osmosis, I don't think this is just a firmware issue. I have one of the early 4116 versions that came to the US. Hasselblad support had me send a video of the issue. They are now closed for the holiday. I hope to hear something next week. Fortunately, I only have the issues with the dials. My camera is not freezing or rebooting. That seems to be exclusive to the new firmware release.

Just for reference, I am on 1.15.0, I haven't had any issues with the no card error, so I didn't upgrade to 1.15.1

So whatever is causing this can't be fixed by current firmware. The fact that the issues appeared over time after the camera worked fine for months, has me thinking there is a hardware failure. Some type of position sensor for the dials is not working correctly. There can be multiple scenarios for this. Only some of us have defective parts and they fail at about the same number of hours. Or all the parts are effected and those of us having the issue are just seeing early life failures. Or some version of in between. Although frustrating, HB is responsive and I'm hoping they can get to root cause and corrective action quickly. Summer months aren't going to help. Many Europeans take 3-4 weeks at a time off in the summer.

This is the reason I'm waiting out to buy one. I hope in a few months inventories are rotated and new batches with improved HW are available at dealers. If too many months pass, then the new 100MP sensor is coming out late on 2018 so might as well just wait it out all together.

The X1D clearly has some hardware problems and I would not want to spend $13,000 USD and have it fail within 6 months and wait months to get it repaired. I would expect the X1D to start showing problems at 6 years not 6 months.

Please let us know any update to your issues like wait time to get it repaired or fixed by firmware, etc.

DougDolde

Curious what you traded for what. I can understand if you don't want to spell it out but I'm an hour from Camera West in Rancho Mirage

Kirk,

I looked at both and ended up sending almost all of my stuff to Sean at CW ... and now have a X1D.

It is so good that the teething issues do not register ... no thought that I have made a poor choice.

Sensor is very good ... Phocus highlight recovery is stellar and the end result is worth the small nuanced
frustrations that should diminish over time.

It will be a slow process ... import to Phocus ... adjust then export and open with LR. Develop ... very little needing
to be done at this point and export to PS for final adjustments.

To me ... well worth the round trip ....

Light ... built very robustly ... and looks like a large point and shoot.

GFX lets you play with any number of lenses ... personally I have lost interest in leveraging marginal glass for a special look.

I would rather maximize the inherent qualities of the system ... and learn it's limits.

My demo of the X1D convinced me that it was flawed and not worth my time ... a week with the camera has shown me that
it is a bit flawed but worth the extra effort to end up with compelling files.

Regards,

Bob

hcubell

Michael, I am not having any of these issues after using my X1D for 4 months, so I agree, it does not appear to be a firmware issue. I am running the same firmware you are, 1.15.

docmoore

Curious what you traded for what. I can understand if you don't want to spell it out but I'm an hour from Camera West in Rancho Mirage

Hi Doug,

Leica Monochrom 246, 28 Elmarit, 50 Summilux and 75 Chron ... all LN.

Canon 5DMk4 with 3 pristine Zeiss ZE lenses.

Batteries, EVFs and L Plates.

Sean has been my go to for 15 years ... never had a bad experience or trade with him. I would rather lose a bit in trade than play the game of diminishing returns
in selling it myself.

All of my stuff leaves me in mint condition ... whether I have had it for a year or 10 years.

I took a leap ... and am certain that the trade-off in moving to the X1D is worth the small irritations involved with the present FW. Nothing that
is major ... and the IQ rivals the Leica S ... now they just need to deliver a few more lens choices.

Regards,

Bob

docmoore

A couple of suggestions ... my 4116 came with the latest FW and has been very stable. In MF A mode it will lock into AEL when not desired and if I move to AF take a shot and return to MF it normally will
return control to the dials. Any battery less that 50% in my opinion will bring about all sorts of eratic behavior. I assume that a critical voltage is needed for all the processing and when the battery falls below
that level the camera goes tharn .... "Watership Down ... description of the rabbits being mesmerized by lights and motion..." My experience with a new 4116 is that it occurs about every 30 exposures ... lasts for one or two then
reverts to normal. When all else fails M mode returns control ... at least on my beastie.

Dont imagine it is a position sensor if it occurs intermittently ... more likely a programming loop that needs to be identified and closed.

I would not hesitate to upgrade FW ... may bring new issues but may resolve others. Mine has been very good.

Most European vacations occur in August ... may be resolved prior to their holiday.

Do hope that you and the rest of us weather the growing pains of this new system ... I use mine as an amateur and can make do with a few glitches. Not a camera that
would make a professional wedding photographer happy ... at least not this FW.

Bob

Is there any agreement that keeping battery highly charged minimizes lockups? I coud live with that if it were the main problem. I grew up with 36 exposure rolls and wouldn't be bothered by changing batteries often!

Kirk

PS to Bob, I share your high opinion of Sean; also of Dan Leto, who's unfortunately no longer at CameraWest WC. I've several times preferred to do trades with them than to devote time to private sales, and am doing so now. A new person named Justin was very helpful in making comparison shots between GFX and my A7rII (w/Kolari mod for Leica lenses). Waiting for chance now to make a pair of large comparison prints – and hoping for positive news about Hd1 firmware upgrades in the meantime. Definitely a lighter option for someone with 1.5 knees!

docmoore

I do not think that charged battery eliminates the control dial issue ... seems independent of the battery charge. However the SD card sensing
seems to go a bit awry when the battery level dips ... below 30 - 40 % a guess based on the pictogram battery indicator.

The dial only for me is an issue every 30 shots and will only persist for one or two exposures then returns to normal ... and I think it can be
addressed in firmware as it shows the AEL engaged sign even though I have not pressed that particular button. And pressing the button does
not restore control.

Bob

tcdeveau

In my experience (since February), I've found the front scroll wheel to be erratic and almost useless. The firmware upgrade didn't cause it or fix it. I use the rear LCD touchscreen to change the settings anyway, so it hasn't affected my shooting. I love the camera and have lived with its glitches. It's that good.

Joe
[email protected]
I've been starting to have scroll wheel issues lately as well. Sometimes when I try and adjust shutter speed and aperture with the front and rear wheels, they make a clicking sound so you know it's turned a click, but the value it's supposed to change (shutter speed or aperture depending on the wheel) won't change. I haven't tried messing with the firmware yet as I read the reports that the latest firmware caused issues for users, but the normal remove and reinsert the battery doesn't fix it. I've got a video of the behavior, maybe I'll upload it and share it. It's annoying, but like Joe, I love the camera and can live with it's glitches (and settings can be changed with the touchscreen).
-Todd

mkerouac

In my experience (since February), I've found the front scroll wheel to be erratic and almost useless. The firmware upgrade didn't cause it or fix it. I use the rear LCD touchscreen to change the settings anyway, so it hasn't affected my shooting. I love the camera and have lived with its glitches. It's that good.

Joe
[email protected]
Hi Joe,

I "really like" the camera, haven't learned to love it yet. Having to take the camera away from my eye in order to adjust the f-stop is not OK with me. It very much interrupts the process if I am trying to take a series of shots with varying depth of field. If the dial issues have been happening since as early as Feb. I'm surprised that this issue isn't common knowledge at HB US Service yet. I've learned to be patient when it comes to HB. It takes them years to fully develop their H series Firmware, but with the X1D, I expect at least base functionality, which includes working dials.

Mike

mkerouac

Update: I upgraded to the 1.15.1 firmware just for kicks. The erratic dial issues remain. The rear dial is much improved, I would now categorize that as intermittent. But the front dial is still useless. No new issues found with loading the current firmware. Camera does not freeze or reboot.

pflower

This is probably courting disaster, but I have had my camera for exactly 4 months now and have made some 2,000 exposures. I have had some problems with the No Card Error and No Lens Attached and a few freezes where I have to restart the camera. But I have had no problems at all with the dials which work perfectly well and reliably for me. Probably just posting this will mean that the entire camera locks up now and will refuse to function. Looking at the dials more closely, I have noticed one thing - when in A mode, changing the EV compensation with the rear dial does not display any changes on the rear LCD - the shutter speed changes but there is no indication of the EV compensation. Is that how it is supposed to be?

Given the number of people who are having problems, I wonder if this isn't a hardware problem - a rogue batch of cameras that somehow got through quality control.

Hi Joe,

I "really like" the camera, haven't learned to love it yet. Having to take the camera away from my eye in order to adjust the f-stop is not OK with me. It very much interrupts the process if I am trying to take a series of shots with varying depth of field. If the dial issues have been happening since as early as Feb. I'm surprised that this issue isn't common knowledge at HB US Service yet. I've learned to be patient when it comes to HB. It takes them years to fully develop their H series Firmware, but with the X1D, I expect at least base functionality, which includes working dials.

Mike

docmoore

Probably a setting you need to look into on the display.

On mine in A mode I see an exposure bar and using the back dial can see the exposure comp value as I dial it in ... bar the times it locks exposure and aperture.

Bob

pflower

I meant on the main control screen on the LCD. It works fine in Live View. But on the Control Screen you get the EV but if you use the rear scroll dial to increase or decrease exposure compensation the EV changes but there is no indication of what compensation you are dealing in. From the Control Screen you have to use the touch screen on the +/- values. Just seems a bit strange that the control screen does not display what exposure compensation has been dialled in only the adjustment made on the touch screen.

Probably a setting you need to look into on the display.

On mine in A mode I see an exposure bar and using the back dial can see the exposure comp value as I dial it in ... bar the times it locks exposure and aperture.

Bob

docmoore

Actually there is an additional element ... reading pages 40 and 41 of the manual ... you set a persistent exp. comp. from the control screen. Fast changes with the rear dial in auto modes ... non manual.

But if you hit the AE-L button it returns the persistent exp. comp to zero. I have to try this to make sure it is working that way with the current firmware.

Bob

docmoore

So I have a question for those of you with control wheel problems ... does the wheel allow you to make changes within submenus on the control screen and just is inactive with regards to shutter, aperture and focus points or does it not
work on anything? If the wheel works within the menus then it is not a sensor problem ... more likely a software glitch. If both then may be a hardware issue.

Best place to try is in the exposure compensation setting menu ... front wheel selects flash or exposure and rear wheel selects the value.

Thanks,

Bob

tcdeveau

So I have a question for those of you with control wheel problems ... does the wheel allow you to make changes within submenus on the control screen and just is inactive with regards to shutter, aperture and focus points or does it not
work on anything? If the wheel works within the menus then it is not a sensor problem ... more likely a software glitch. If both then may be a hardware issue.

Best place to try is in the exposure compensation setting menu ... front wheel selects flash or exposure and rear wheel selects the value.

Thanks,

Bob
I checked this out this morning, and it persists in the submenus on the control screen for me, although not as pronounced as in live view. Suggests a potential hardware issue, but still could be rooted in firmware. Exposure compensation also sometimes doesn't change as it should.

In practice it means for me sometimes having to turn the wheel 2-3 physical clicks to change a setting one notch, when it should be a 1:1 thing. Again more of an annoyance than anything for me, and hopefully something that can be rectified either with service or a service trip (under warranty).