The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which bag for Hasselblad H?

dave.gt

In the last six years, I have carried my Hadley Pro more often than not. The 503 fits perfectly in the bag and most days I have it wth me. But then I am normally in an urban/suburban environment. I find the shoulder bag to be much easier to use than a backpack.

Soon, I will need a little more rugged bag for the H5D as most shoots will be outdoors. It is time to add yet another bag to work out of without trashing my good bags.:grin:

HB/Phase One owners, I am curious which bag you use doing landscapes. Is a backpack the better way to go?

danord

In the last six years, I have carried my Hadley Pro more often than not. The 503 fits perfectly in the bag and most days I have it wth me. But then I am normally in an urban/suburban environment. I find the shoulder bag to be much easier to use than a backpack.

Soon, I will need a little more rugged bag for the H5D as most shoots will be outdoors. It is time to add yet another bag to work out of without trashing my good bags.:grin:

HB/Phase One owners, I am curious which bag you use doing landscapes. Is a backpack the better way to go?
Hi!
For my landscape work, I use backpacks exclusively. Even for a short hike in the nearby woods, I find that having my hands free and the gear safe on my back feels good. After having tried many different solutions throughout the years, I have now setteled with the F-stop gear system. This system is well built and very flexible. A large pro ICU (internal camera unit) fits the H6D with 35-90, HCD 28 and HCD 150 with the addition of 2-3 batteries, memory cards, remote and assorted filters without problems. For shorter trips without the need for much extra I use the 32-liter f-stop Lotus. I then have room for a raincower, a jacket and snacks as well. For longer hikes the ICU is moved over to the larger Tilopa or Sukha backpacks. An additional advantage of this system is that the ICU also fits most carry-on suitcases as well. When out travelling, I pack my (then flat) backpack in the checked luggage and take the ICU with camera etc in a ThinkTank airport intl onboard. Upon arrival I move the ICU to the backpack and stow the suitcase in the rentalcar. Works like a charm for me, and after having used this for 3-4 years I havent looked back.

All the best,
danord

dave.gt

Hi!
For my landscape work, I use backpacks exclusively. Even for a short hike in the nearby woods, I find that having my hands free and the gear safe on my back feels good. After having tried many different solutions throughout the years, I have now setteled with the F-stop gear system. This system is well built and very flexible. A large pro ICU (internal camera unit) fits the H6D with 35-90, HCD 28 and HCD 150 with the addition of 2-3 batteries, memory cards, remote and assorted filters without problems. For shorter trips without the need for much extra I use the 32-liter f-stop Lotus. I then have room for a raincower, a jacket and snacks as well. For longer hikes the ICU is moved over to the larger Tilopa or Sukha backpacks. An additional advantage of this system is that the ICU also fits most carry-on suitcases as well. When out travelling, I pack my (then flat) backpack in the checked luggage and take the ICU with camera etc in a ThinkTank airport intl onboard. Upon arrival I move the ICU to the backpack and stow the suitcase in the rentalcar. Works like a charm for me, and after having used this for 3-4 years I havent looked back.

All the best,

danord
danord,

Thank you for such a detailed explanation of how you use the backpacks...ingenious, as I somehow never thought much about the flexibility of using the ICU bags the way you do! I had been looking over the F-stop website and I am impressed, for sure.

There is only a remote possibility that my work will require extended walking/hiking but I have learned to never say never. So, as you suggest, I prefer to have a prepared sense of readiness at all times and using the ICU bags will be very good for organizing my gear. Price is right, too!

Much to consider.. thanks!!!:thumbup:

jng

Dave,

I've used danord's solution as well. The large f-stop ICU takes two of my Hassy V bodies (one with MFDB attached), 4 lenses plus a little room left over for odds and ends. For the last trip I took by air, I slipped the ICU into my 20" rollaboard (just about a perfect fit) and stuffed my Tilopa backpack (stuffed with my clothes) and tripod into a duffel, which I checked.

Note that f-stop has gotten a bit of a reputation for long back-orders even when items are listed as in stock. If you decide to go this route, it might be safer or at least quicker to purchase from a dealer who has what you want in stock. Bear Images in Palo Alto, CA seems to keep a pretty extensive inventory, and they're quite helpful if you want to give them a call.

The topic of camera bags and backpacks comes up from time to time, both here and on LuLa. You might check out the following thread:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...ackpack-xf-kit.html?highlight=camera+backpack

John

dave.gt

Dave,

I've used danord's solution as well. The large f-stop ICU takes two of my Hassy V bodies (one with MFDB attached), 4 lenses plus a little room left over for odds and ends. For the last trip I took by air, I slipped the ICU into my 20" rollaboard (just about a perfect fit) and stuffed my Tilopa backpack (stuffed with my clothes) and tripod into a duffel, which I checked.

Note that f-stop has gotten a bit of a reputation for long back-orders even when items are listed as in stock. If you decide to go this route, it might be safer or at least quicker to purchase from a dealer who has what you want in stock. Bear Images in Palo Alto, CA seems to keep a pretty extensive inventory, and they're quite helpful if you want to give them a call.

The topic of camera bags and backpacks comes up from time to time, both here and on LuLa. You might check out the following thread:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...ackpack-xf-kit.html?highlight=camera+backpack

John
Ah, thanks, John, I was wondering when bag/packs were recently discussed! I read the thread you linked, just now, and learned a lot. There is a lot of information I need to sort through but the ICU system seems very good!

Our first photo shoot is in four weeks, but I don't really need anything as nice as the F-stop packs for that alone, so I have a little time to continue reading up on them... and finish up with the smaller items we need. Next Friday, our first pre-shoot walkabout.:thumbup:

dave.gt

Ok, you all have sold me on the F-stop backpacks!

Now for accessories:

There seems to be a lot of flexibility with these packs. One question I have is in regard to a portable charger for the iPhone. To save time and regrets later, how have you managed your power charging for your devices?

Another is: will the Ajna pack accommodate the Gitzo 3541xls tripod?

Last edited:

danord

Ok, you all have sold me on the F-stop backpacks!

Now for accessories:

There seems to be a lot of flexibility with these packs. One question I have is in regard to a portable charger for the iPhone. To save time and regrets later, how have you managed your power charging for your devices?

Another is: will the Ajna pack accommodate the Gitzo 3541xls tripod?
Hi again! For iPhone charging I just use a regular usb-powerbank that can be purchased everywhere. Now for Hasselblad H-charging, thats more of a challenge. I always carry at least 3 batteries. That will suffice for a few days for me. I tend to shoot few files on each location. For extended trips off the grid, I have just recently purchased the Lifepowr A2L that will carry 27000mAh and takes the regular H-charger. A bit big (about the size of a regular external harddrive) but it has found it's place in my car and sometimes in my backpack on extended hikes.

danord

dave.gt

Hi again! For iPhone charging I just use a regular usb-powerbank that can be purchased everywhere. Now for Hasselblad H-charging, thats more of a challenge. I always carry at least 3 batteries. That will suffice for a few days for me. I tend to shoot few files on each location. For extended trips off the grid, I have just recently purchased the Lifepowr A2L that will carry 27000mAh and takes the regular H-charger. A bit big (about the size of a regular external harddrive) but it has found it's place in my car and sometimes in my backpack on extended hikes.

danord
Amazing information!!! That was exactly what I was looking for, thank you!:thumbup: