The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nisi, Lee, or Formatt/Hitech Filter kit?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Lee Pro IRND for me every time. I just wish that I could justify all three systems I need (darn you 35LS /28D!!).

seven5 works perfectly for my tech cam / Leica and 150SW reluctantly I have to use with my favorite lens the Phase One 35LS and the rest of my >72mm lens gear. The kicker is that I love the Wine Country 100mm holder system but Inhave to replace my stolen Lee filters in that size. Ugh :facesmack:

Lee Pro IRND for me every time. I just wish that I could justify all three systems I need (darn you 35LS /28D!!).

seven5 works perfectly for my tech cam / Leica and 150SW reluctantly I have to use with my favorite lens the Phase One 35LS and the rest of my >72mm lens gear. The kicker is that I love the Wine Country 100mm holder system but Inhave to replace my stolen Lee filters in that size. Ugh :facesmack:
Same here, but I only keep one single 100mm Lee system, as I deliberately avoid lenses like 32HR, 35LS, 17TSE etc. These are great lenses, but I can't fit a 150mm filter system in my flight-friendly backpack. 150mm x 170mm ND grad would also be too soft for longer lenses.

GrahamWelland

Three systems with even minimal grads / NDs and you're down a couple of $k in a hurry. I know that from when my lee pouch was lost in a theft.

aztwang

Three systems with even minimal grads / NDs and you're down a couple of $k in a hurry. I know that from when my lee pouch was lost in a theft.
So I just checked pricing on the new Lee Cine IRND filters. Am I reading this correctly..$850 for a 7 stop ND?

tcdeveau

So I just checked pricing on the new Lee Cine IRND filters. Am I reading this correctly..$850 for a 7 stop ND?
B&H has em for $600 each. That's for the CINE size though, which are designed for matte boxes for video production and are 4 inches by 5.65 inches (most likely bigger than what still photographers need). The 100mm sizes are in the $200 range and the 150mm sizes are $450. Still not cheap though, esp the 150mm size.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lee irnd&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Jeffrey

I use "Vu" 100x 150 filters and Breakthrough Photography screw on filters. I like both brands and don't notice any color variations in using them. Just one amateur's opinion.

How do you find the Lee Lens Caps? Are they too tight to risk bending the optical axis through the Copal 0 shutter when you take it off from the lens?

GrahamWelland

How do you find the Lee Lens Caps? Are they too tight to risk bending the optical axis through the Copal 0 shutter when you take it off from the lens?
The white 100mm caps loosen over time plus you learn the technique for removing them. Also temperature makes a difference - they can be finger nail breaking bitches when really cold. Personally I prefer hood hats these days.

The white 100mm caps loosen over time plus you learn the technique for removing them. Also temperature makes a difference - they can be finger nail breaking bitches when really cold. Personally I prefer hood hats these days.
Are they flat enough to serve as the white card for LCC purposes?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I currently use the Haida system with my XF. Really like their stuff and pricewise it's quite attractive in Europe.
I have and use HAIDA filters since about two years now . I find them very good and absolutely color neutral .
The only disadvantage for me , they are very thin and require more carefulness .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
ROLLEI has a new filter series on the market . ROLLEI MARK II ND filters . They are made of "Gorilla" glas .
So seem to be the new LEE filters . Thickness is 2mm . Price for a square ND filter , 100x100 , is 150 € here .

hcubell

ROLLEI has a new filter series on the market . ROLLEI MARK II ND filters . They are made of "Gorilla" glas .
So seem to be the new LEE filters . Thickness is 2mm . Price for a square ND filter , 100x100 , is 150 € here .
If they are made out of Gorilla Glass, I assume they would be scratch resistant. I would pay the extra money for that, as the Formatt Firecrest filters scratch way too easily.

dave.gt

Deadline is approaching with a mock shoot set up for July 21, at our lake. Just ordered the NISI filter holder with CPL. It will be here on Thursday. Still not sure about which ND filter to use, 6 or 10 stop. I need to rent a couple, I suppose, to try out before purchasing.

The shoot will have us using the Broncolor Move 1200 with a soft box. To darken the background more, the choice of filters is more difficult.

Deadline is approaching with a mock shoot set up for July 21, at our lake. Just ordered the NISI filter holder with CPL. It will be here on Thursday. Still not sure about which ND filter to use, 6 or 10 stop. I need to rent a couple, I suppose, to try out before purchasing.

The shoot will have us using the Broncolor Move 1200 with a soft box. To darken the background more, the choice of filters is more difficult.
I mainly use 5 filters (but for long exposure, *not* for shooting portraits):

6 stop ND (Lee ProGlass IRND) for darker phase of sunrise/sunset with medium to fast cloud speed;
10 stop ND (Lee ProGlass IRND) for brighter phase of sunrise/sunset with medium to fast cloud speed;
15 stop ND (Lee ProGlass IRND) for scenes where the sun is above the horizon unblocked by cloud with slow cloud speed;
2 stop ND grad soft (Lee 0.6 ND grad soft) for architecture or complicated shape of skyline;
3 stop reversed grad (Singh-Ray Daryl Benson) for seascape with simple shape of skyline.

These cover almost anything I shoot.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The ROLLEI internet pages are available in english language as well.
http://www.rollei.com
Although the pages are not very comfortable to use :banghead: , you will eventually find the gorilla glas info .

JohnBrew

I just watched the video on Wine Country Filters at the DT site and it appears to me that they have solved many of the problems that existed in previous systems. I believe I must have one! I'm guessing they are constrained at the moment by only having the 100mm size.

kdphotography

The last I heard from Rod Clark was that the Wine Country Filter was developing a wide angle holder to be released probably very late this year. I use the WC filter holder system with my Cambo WRS 1600----works great.

ken

hcubell

The Wine Country filter system seems quite well designed and well made. I would have bought into it, but I could not get past the idea of a filter holder made out of rosewood. Alpa at least gives you a choice with its handles. I asked the owner of WC about the possibility of offering the filter holder in basic black, and he seemed somewhat astonished that I had an issue with rosewood. I guess that explains why it is rosewood.

kdphotography

I really don't think the handles are a "necessary" item for the Wine Country Holder, and it really seems to be more of an added aesthetic ala Alpa. It adds just a bit more bulk where I'd rather try to cut as much bulk and weight as possible. I would have been happy with a simple rubberized grip. Pretty minor complaint when viewed as a total system. If I get bored enough, I'm gonna try and re-finish the wood handles to better match the wood on my Cambo WRS 1600. :loco:;)