The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 24mm T/S vs 28 Rodenstock on IQ3 100

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I’ve been searching for some real comparisons to see if the Canon is a viable alternative. The CMOS back seriously challenges the Rodie with lens cast, and probably even some crosstalk. While most of the time a C1 LCC resolves it adequately, I’ve found there are images that are unrecoverable, especially long exposures through ND filters. Color shifts remain, (red in color, which I assume is the crosstalk issue that as been discussed).

I’m assuming the 24 isn’t quite as sharp, but I’ve heard it covers wells without as many issues with lens cast. Adding the Cambo adaptor would let me use the 24 and even the 17. I could also look at adapting them to my GFX.

I’ve spent some time with google without a lot of success. Any feedback or links greatly appreciated.

Have you tried the Lee ProGlass IRND which was released last month? They are very color neutral so the color cast can easily be removed by LCC of naked lens.

As for 24TSE vs 28HR I have never seen such comparisons since the angle of view is so different. However, Gerald has done a great comparison between 24TSE and 23HR. You could check his website: Copyright Gerald Donovan 2013. All rights reserved.

Below is a screenshot taken from his test for f/8. When you step down to f/16 the difference becomes marginal, however diffraction would definitely kick in for IMX211.

23hr_corner.JPG

PSon

Quick handheld comparisons among DSLR retrofocus and digital large format lens on IQ3100:
Since the photos were handheld shots, I can only pick the locations of both photos where they are the sharpest. Thus this explains the different location of the 100% views. Also since the scene is not the best place to do corner comparisons, I chose the sharpest region near the focus point. There was no filter nor LCC application.

Rodenstock 23mm HR:

Rodenstock 23mm HR @ 100% near center focused point:

Canon 24mm TS-E @ 100% near center focused point::

Canon 24mm TS-E:

Contax 645 35mm:

Contax 645 Distagon T* 35mm @ 100% center:

Contax 645 Distagon T* 35mm @ 100% corner:

Last edited: