The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX and Fotodiox adapter

Adapting Pentax 645 lenses, and perhaps others, to GFX with Fotodiox:

I've acquired the Pentax 645 35 and 55mm manual focus lenses to use with GFX and find them quite impressive, but I ran into an adapter issue that others might want to know about.

With no Novoflex adapters yet available I'd ordered a Fotodiox, but found it has an unattractive feature: It comes with its own Arca tripod fitting under the adapter, which would be nice if it didn't interfere with L-brackets and some tripod plates. For me it stuck out in a poor place for handling and was in the way of my Kirk L-bracket. So I emailed Fotodiox and they said just undo the screws that attach the Arca plate. I did so, only to find that without the screws, two holes open up between the outer world and the inner lens chamber – the screw holes are bored all the way through. Were you to lose or strip one of these small screws when removing them, you'd be, um, screwed. So for Pentax 645 lenses, I strongly suggest ordering Kipon or something else instead of Fotodiox. I don't know whether all the other Fotodiox adapters have Arca tripod plates attached, but I'd avoid them if they do. Even if you'd like an Arca plate attached to your adapter, you'd find it's in a particularly awkward place when the camera is hand-held.

Kirk

Don Libby

I have a Fotodiox adapter that I use with a Mamiya 200 APO and has that same feature; looking at it closely I think it can be removed.

Paul2660

Yes it's removable i.e. the foot on the adapter.

I kept mine on as I use it with the 200 APO Mamiya lens.

Paul Caldwell

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks for this. Saved me from ordering a kippon adapter in addition to the fotodiox that I currently have. The foot is a nice idea for longer lenses that don't have one but a pain in the a** otherwise with the grip.

:thumbs:

Don Libby

Thanks for this. Saved me from ordering a kippon adapter in addition to the fotodiox that I currently have. The foot is a nice idea for longer lenses that don't have one but a pain in the a** otherwise with the grip.

:thumbs:
Graham, I don't use the Fuji grip and the FotodioX with the foot lines up perfectly on the tripod. Using the Mamiya 200 APO and set the adaptor on the tripod makes it steadier to use. Not too certain about the usefulness of the grip as it adds to the footprint and overall weight and I've yet to have an issue with battery power.

Don