The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SWC/M Hasselblad and CFV16

elrafo

Hello !

I bought a used SWC/M with a 38mm black Biogon, I want to use it with my CFV16.

I know there will be an issue with the Tripod Mount which goes over the back of the camera, so the CFV back won't fit with the battery. I tried also with the L (ELM) Battey adapter but still not possible,

I know it is possible to modify the Tripod Mount, or, simply do you know if I can remove it ?

anyone know about a solution (not too harmful for the camera) ?

Thanks a lot !

Last edited:

Grayhand

I have a 903SWC that I use with a CFV50c.

This is what I did:

"First I did remove the original foot and saved all components.
You need good tools for this!
Make sure that that your screw drivers has a perfect fit.
It is to easy to destroy the head of the screws!!!

Then I made a plate in stainless steel.
I was planing to drill a center hole and tread it so I could mount any foot I wanted.
But the I thought: Why?

I only need one Arca-Swiss compatible fot permanently fixed!
So did some digging in my heaps of stuff and found one that was almost perfect.
Not sure about the strength of is, so I did use the stainless steel plate I made to reinforce the constructions. drilled 3 holes and mounted it with 3 standard 2.5 M-tread screws.
I was also concerned about the mounting of the camera, if there was enough free space for the foot to easily be mounted on the head on the tripod.
But it was ample space!

This solution gives me about 0.5 mm free space between the battery and the foot.
Works like a dream!

But I think the stainless steel plate is just overkill!
The foot should be strong enough on its own.
I left the rubber on the foot, it gave a bit of soft mounting to protect the treads in the camera.
You do not want to destroy those!!!

When next I have some spare time I will try without the steel plate.
I just have to fix a little shorter screws first so I dont destroy stuf inside the camera."

Ray

elrafo

Thanks a lot Ray !

you did a beautiful job, I am not such a craftsman ! not sure I will be able to do a clean job like yours :)
I know a Camera repair place certified for medium formats, maybe they could help. I will show them the pictures.

I must try this, This might be a stupid question, but don't you think it is possible to dismount the tripod Fix and Literally Cut the extruded metal portion to have a shorter plate ?

Tack !

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Ray

Your SWC is a 903 . I have done a similar modification to my 905 . That was described in an other previous thread .
Elrafo's SWC is an older model and has a tripod plate , which you just can't remove in the way you have done to your 903 .
So a modification for his SWC is much more complicated . As I have no older model here , I am sorry , I can not recommend a way of modification other than get an experienced mechanic and let him shorten the existing tripod shoe .

elrafo

Thanks Guys, This is what I understand when I see my model, but is there a way to remove the tripod mount and shorten it ?
I don't want to have lost pieces inside the camera body if I unscrew the tripod plate.

i have seen this photo on Ebay, it looks like a modified model (old SWC) no idea how they modified it ! did they literally Laser Cut the Metal of the tripod plate ? ?

thanks for your advice

Last edited:

Grayhand

This is how my camera looks with the foot mounted on the camera.
This plate is only a decorative plate.
When I remove the 4 screws the "real" foot become visible.

This foot plate is mounted on the camera with 3 screws in the same way as you show in your last picture.

The only difference I can see is that you have two different treaded holes, but on my never camera there is only one.

What has been done in your last picture is that they just has cut of the back part of the plate to make space for the battery
On the camera in the picture you can mount a tripod plate of your choice in one of the treaded holes.

So yes, you should be able to do the same on your camera.
But maybe think it over before you do.
If you shorten the original foot I think you will reduce the value of your camera.
I think it is better to just fix up an Arca-Swiss tripod plate and mount it on the camera.
That way you can easily restore the camera to its original configuration, if you would like to do so in the future.
But a good camera technician should be able to help you with this!

It looks as if the SWC has the same arrangement for mounting the "real" foot to the camera.
The 3 screws seems to be arranged the same way as on my camera so in my understanding it would be possible to do the same on your camera as on my.

The only thing maybe to worry about is if the older cameras has a nut on the back side of the bottom part instead of treads in the bottom frame as on my camera.

But I can guarantee you that they removed the mounting plate before shortening it, for the camera in your last picture.
So I suppose they had no problem with nuts.

But I might be completely wrong, I been that ones before..

The world is overflowing with things I do not know anything about
And your camera might be one of those things :thumbup:

Ray

elrafo

Ray,

Thanks a LOT for these wise advises, I will talk to a trusted camera repair shop and see what we can do for the SWC,
for sure I don't want to lower the value of the camera, but it is not in my plans to resell it soon ether, I will keep you guys posted ;)
have a great Weekend.

Raph