The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Very simple Alpa setup

andreacala

Hello There from Rome, Italy
I'm a new member of this forum and as well a new user of the Alpa system.

I've recently acquired a second hand Alpa TC body with fingergrip and I'm planning to build a very simple set up for personal projects and reportage photography.
It would be perfect to have some advice from you experts ;)

My intention is to use the TC body with 6x9 film back and the equivalent of about 35mm lens on 35mm system. That's all:eek:
Now first, any advice for the lens?
Actually i'll be defintely happy to save some money from the back and the viewfinder, a good solution could be the Mamiya 6x9 back plus adapter?
About viewfinders, I saw Linhof, Zeiss etc. which one do you think is the more simple and versatile?

stephengilbert

A 60mm lens would be close, but they're hard to find.

If you're going to use one lens, I'd go for the closest Zeiss VF. They're very bright and clear, and compact in size.

epforever

A few suggestions:

- For the lens, it depends how much you want to spend. You'll need a fairly large image circle, especially if you want to shoot 6x9 (which requires, I believe, a 100mm image circle; 6x7 requires a 90mm image circle). If you're looking for the equivalent to 35mm, in 6x9 you'd want an 80mm. In 6x7 you'd want a 70mm. The Rodenstock 70mm HR has an image circle of 100mm. The Schneider 75mm has an image circle of 90mm. The Schneider 80mm XL has an image circle of 210mm, if you can find one in an Alpa mount. Perhaps you could even buy an unmounted 80mm XL, then have it mounted by Alpa.

- For focal lengths of 70-80mm, you won't have much depth of field, so you'll need to focus accurately. I'd recommend getting an HPF ring for whatever lens you buy, and also getting a Leica distometer, like the D5, for very accurate focusing.

- For film backs, I recommend getting the Alpa Horseman adapter. This will let you use Horseman 6x7 and 6x9 film backs, which work great and are easy to find used in good condition. Easy and cheap to carry a few. Nice to be able to shoot both 6x7 and 6x9.

- For a viewfinder, I recommend getting a used Linhof multifocus viewfinder on eBay, or maybe from igorcamera.com or another site/store. And an accessory adapter from Alpa. I like this one: https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/accessory-adapter-universal-shoe-und-level. Or, if you want to see the level through the viewfinder, try to find a used Alpa viewfinder.

Hope that helps,
ethan

Oren Grad

6x9cm format has a nominal image area of 56x84mm, though many roll holders deliver something a bit short of 84mm on the long side. So I'll more or less agree with Ethan - something in the 80-85mm range will give you the field of view that you're looking for.

FWIW, I've used the first-generation 90mm Apo-Sironar-Digital on 6x9cm film. It's a marvelous lens that comfortably covers 6x9cm, though it will give you a field of view closer to what you'll get from a 40mm on 35. Far less expensive than the latest generation "digital" lenses too, though it may be difficult to find one in helical mount for Alpa, and I don't know how expensive it would be to have one mounted.

BJNY

Would you have been better served with a Fuji 6x9 with either a 65mm or 90mm lens?

Hello There from Rome, Italy
I'm a new member of this forum and as well a new user of the Alpa system.

I've recently acquired a second hand Alpa TC body with fingergrip and I'm planning to build a very simple set up for personal projects and reportage photography.
It would be perfect to have some advice from you experts ;)

My intention is to use the TC body with 6x9 film back and the equivalent of about 35mm lens on 35mm system. That's all:eek:
Now first, any advice for the lens?
Actually i'll be defintely happy to save some money from the back and the viewfinder, a good solution could be the Mamiya 6x9 back plus adapter?
About viewfinders, I saw Linhof, Zeiss etc. which one do you think is the more simple and versatile?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Would you have been better served with a Fuji 6x9 with either a 65mm or 90mm lens?
No, not if you've ever used the purity of the Alpa. :facesmack:

This is is rather like asking why not just give it up and get a Fuji GFX ... forget that legacy film stuff!

Btw, unbelievable sharpness of film images when using these tech lenses. No shutter shock, no mirror slap, nothing but you and the scene.

(Oh and BTW my film bias would be the Mamiya 7II system but it'll still never have the simplistic joy of shooting with th TC)

andreacala

The Fuji is a great camera but what Graham Welland said is definetely on point and as well I found myself to be way more productive when I enjoy the work flow.

In the meantime a friend of mine gave me for free a Mamiya RB motorized back 6x8 that should fit with the Alpa Backadapter MA.

No, not if you've ever used the purity of the Alpa. :facesmack:

This is is rather like asking why not just give it up and get a Fuji GFX ... forget that legacy film stuff!

Btw, unbelievable sharpness of film images when using these tech lenses. No shutter shock, no mirror slap, nothing but you and the scene.

(Oh and BTW my film bias would be the Mamiya 7II system but it'll still never have the simplistic joy of shooting with th TC)

VICTOR BT

hi,
i use Linhof Master Technika (new), with 80mm and 6x9, much like "simple Alpa" set-up, only with RF coupling of the lens.
80mm S-Symmar XL is amazing, technically and aesthetically, one of the most beautiful renderings, and at 5.6 (it is 4.5), it is already great for 6x9 coverage. 1/3 click tops, 67mm front, and u can easily use LEE filters, no vigniting on 6x9 at all.
Linhof viewfinder is Superb, perhaps the best. u can dial distance, and various focal lengths, parallax correction is practically eliminated even up to 1m, though on 4x5 camera, i have my own, test-proven, recalculated, easy and quick to follow method, as i ordered the 6x9 mask for 6x9 camera instead of 4x5 camera, which has a generous mask instead of crop-simulating cut. if u intend to use only one lens, Zeiss would be better, for size and price, but make sure it shows the frame well, as the distance between the lens and the viewfinder is greater on Alpa than on 35mm camera for which it is intended. either way, Linhof viewfinder would be better for parallax correction, as it literally tilts down as u dial closer distance. it is a great device for Linhof 4x5, for estimation of composition, or RF photography, but maybe a bit bulkier for the little Alpa. i think Alpa's original would be best. for 6x9 and 80mm they have the non-optical folding frame too.
Linhof 6x9 back on Linhof and on Alpa is the same, except that mounting of course. Superb too. it weights a bit (about 1kg for 4x5 camera), Alpa version must be just a bit lighter i believe.

narikin

There's some good and some mixed advice here.

Lens: If you want a 35mm lens equivalent as you say, then on 6x9, that would be something in the 75-90mm area. It's no good choosing a 110mm if you want that angle of view. Once you have established this, you need to find that lens - and its a film lens you are looking for, not a digital one. An older film lens will have the coverage you need at 80mm for example, to cover 6x9, a digital lens might not. A 70mm older style Rodenstock would do ok, and be cheap, as would an 80 or 90mm Schneider of that vintage.

Finders: I like to keep things simple, so just have a Zeiss 35mm fixed optical finder on top of an Alpa cold-shoe. that works great for me with just one 60mm walk-about lens. (digital back =35mm equivalent, like you prefer) If you want to use multiple lenses, then yes, you need a zoomable finder, like Linhof made. Note there are many generations of those. Try to find one of the more modern black ones. they are much better, than the old tan ones.

Good luck!

Shashin

If you are using a view camera lens for this camera, be aware that the image circle is usually given for f/11 or so. Maximum aperture is only for focusing. A lens with a specified image circle of 100mm (what you need for 6x9), might not be very good wide open.

I think if you wanted a 6x9 for documentary work, a Fuji rangefinder might be better. Focusing the TC with an 80mm could be a challenge. I would use a much wider lens on the TC. When I was shooting a Horsemen SW612 for handheld documentary work, my favorite lens was a 55mm and I am not really an ultra wide kind of photographer. But on the SW612, it was just a joy to use--easy to zone focus and compact. I also had the 90mm and 135mm for the SW612, but I did not do a great deal of work with either. Perhaps you should look into a 35mm or 45mm lens for the TC.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
If you are using a view camera lens for this camera, be aware that the image circle is usually given for f/11 or so. Maximum aperture is only for focusing. A lens with a specified image circle of 100mm (what you need for 6x9), might not be very good wide open.

I think if you wanted a 6x9 for documentary work, a Fuji rangefinder might be better. Focusing the TC with an 80mm could be a challenge. I would use a much wider lens on the TC. When I was shooting a Horsemen SW612 for handheld documentary work, my favorite lens was a 55mm and I am not really an ultra wide kind of photographer. But on the SW612, it was just a joy to use--easy to zone focus and compact. I also had the 90mm and 135mm for the SW612, but I did not do a great deal of work with either. Perhaps you should look into a 35mm or 45mm lens for the TC.
A 35mm or 45mm lens could be the APO-GRANDAGONs from Rodenstock . The 35mm lens is still available as a new lens from ALPA . Its the HR-ALPAR 35mm .
I have them both and used them on my 4x5 LF camera and got them later mounted for ALPA . Including HPF ring .
That was 6 years ago .
If you intend to get any of these two , make sure with ALPA , that they can still be mounted on the proper lens barrel . That of course is valid for any used "film" lens .

narikin

A 35mm or 45mm lens could be the APO-GRANDAGONs from Rodenstock . The 35mm lens is still available as a new lens from ALPA . Its the HR-ALPAR 35mm .
I have them both and used them on my 4x5 LF camera and got them later mounted for ALPA . Including HPF ring .
That was 6 years ago .
If you intend to get any of these two , make sure with ALPA , that they can still be mounted on the proper lens barrel . That of course is valid for any used "film" lens .
It's a very good lens the Rtock 35mm f4, need no center filter and it's f4, but on 6x9 film, that's very wide. If you have or intend to have a 645 digital back, then no, its not super-wide, it's great. (I have a 35mm Alpa Digaron-S I might part with, PM me if interested)

And re- Alpa TC 'not for documentary', well many of the worlds very very best doc photographers disagree. Among others, Gilles Peress and Luc Delahaye both have stripped down TCs. (If you don't know who they are, you should - look them up. Both legends. See Peress' 'Telex Iran' for ground breaking work, or Delahaye's Getty Mueum exhibition/ or book Winterreisse)

andreacala

It's a very good lens the Rtock 35mm f4, need no center filter and it's f4, but on 6x9 film, that's very wide. If you have or intend to have a 645 digital back, then no, its not super-wide, it's great. (I have a 35mm Alpa Digaron-S I might part with, PM me if interested)

And re- Alpa TC 'not for documentary', well many of the worlds very very best doc photographers disagree. Among others, Gilles Peress and Luc Delahaye both have stripped down TCs. (If you don't know who they are, you should - look them up. Both legends. See Peress' 'Telex Iran' for ground breaking work, or Delahaye's Getty Mueum exhibition/ or book Winterreisse)
Narikin really thank you for your contribute, I didn't know about Peress Gilles but I really admire Luc Delahaye's work.
I fell in love with Technical Cameras (Alpa in this case) when I saw a beautiful exhibition of Davide Monteleone called Spasibo he also is an Alpa 12tc user.
Considering this kind of results do you think that the equivalent of 35mm focal lenght is the right choise? because I'm actually considering a wider lens to easily focus.
Now I have two Mamiya motorized film back, 6x7 and 6x8. My initial idea was 6x9 but i'm going to give them a try and at the moment my budget allow me to buy just one lens so I need to choose accurately

epforever

Narikin really thank you for your contribute, I didn't know about Peress Gilles but I really admire Luc Delahaye's work.
I fell in love with Technical Cameras (Alpa in this case) when I saw a beautiful exhibition of Davide Monteleone called Spasibo he also is an Alpa 12tc user.
Considering this kind of results do you think that the equivalent of 35mm focal lenght is the right choise? because I'm actually considering a wider lens to easily focus.
Now I have two Mamiya motorized film back, 6x7 and 6x8. My initial idea was 6x9 but i'm going to give them a try and at the moment my budget allow me to buy just one lens so I need to choose accurately
In my opinion, 35mm is too wide if you're shooting on 6x7 and 6x8 film. That's extremely wide, kind of a special-use lens. Would you walk around with a 17mm as your only lens on a 35mm camera?

If you are willing to go wider than your original thinking (35mm equivalent), I'd recommend the Schneider 47mm Digitar (same as the Alpa Helvetar 48mm, which is what Luc Delahaye used). It will give you enough depth of field to make focusing easier, yet it won't feel like an extreme wide. On 6x7 film, it's equivalent to a 24mm. And it has a large image circle -- 115mm at f/11. That will give you room to shift if/when you have an Alpa model that allows shifting. The 47mm Digitars are available at budget-friendly prices. You can probably find one around $2400 USD. I have a friend who might be selling his, if you're interested. I'm also selling my center filter for this lens. (I know it sounds like my recommending the 47mm is biased, but I think it's the best solution for you; I don't care if you buy the items I just mentioned.)

Another good lens possibility is the Rodenstock 55mm f/4.5 Apo-Sironar Digital, also available in Alpa mount. (Discontinued, like the 47mm, so you'd have to find it used.) I used to have this lens. Sharp, with a massive image circle (125mm at f/11). And affordable. I got mine in Alpa mount for around $2,200 a couple of years ago.

Hope that helps.

andreacala

Upgrade: after your helpful suggestion, I'm now very satisfied with my TC + APO Helvetar 48mm on Mamiya 6x8 film back.

I would like to ask you, could you reccomend me any lens hood instead of the Alpa Pro lens shade which is quite expensive?
Filter thread on the Helvetar 48mm is 67mm, any cheap wide angles lens hood with 67mm thread should be fine?

epforever

Upgrade: after your helpful suggestion, I'm now very satisfied with my TC + APO Helvetar 48mm on Mamiya 6x8 film back.

I would like to ask you, could you reccomend me any lens hood instead of the Alpa Pro lens shade which is quite expensive?
Filter thread on the Helvetar 48mm is 67mm, any cheap wide angles lens hood with 67mm thread should be fine?
I don't know what lens hood would work well with your setup. I do carry a Flare Buster with me:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150798-REG/Granview_FB98XL_Flare_Buster_Kit_Extra.html

It connects into the cold shoe (you'd have to buy one for your Alpa), then extends the flag wherever you need it.

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Try a search for JJC 67mm wide angle lens hood , lens shade on E-Bxx . The JJC lens shades are made of aluminium and of good quality .

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member