The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So, H3DII-39 still viable?

I'm at a point in my life where photography can be something I take the time to indulge in again. For the most part all I'm doing is printing for my walls at home (generally travel photos), and the Fuji X system has reasonable image quality for that. I find I can't print quite as large as I'd like on occasion, but it's not a large burden.

I'm thinking about picking up an H3DII-39 system to slow myself down and have the image quality available to print to 30" (hopefully 40" on occasion, though that's huge) without a whole lot of compromise for those images that warrant that print size. In film days a 500 series Hasselblad would have been fine, and I loved the quality that even old lenses provided. (I believe all of my lenses way back when were the older silver housings.)

I understood the 500C Hasselblad system well; this newer stuff isn't something I've been paying a whole lot of attention to, and I don't really know what I'm getting into other than I can afford decade-old MF gear again. So I guess my questions are:

How is the workflow for images from this system for Windows users?

Are there any gotchas about this system that I need to worry about? As in, other than the back being old-tech, would buying this as my entry to MF digital lock me out of newer products when it's time to upgrade or get new accessories?

Is this a rational choice for moving up to MF digital now that's it's 2017? The great thing about Leica and Hasselblad in film days was that you could buy once and have a great system that would last just about forever with proper maintenance. In digital days though...

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited to add: I can imagine buying a 500 series camera, some older lenses, and a digital back to fit it, and think I have an understanding of the process and all those things I don't do any more (like meter with a handheld meter, which I probably have around here somewhere...) Is it possible to compare/contrast the experience of using something like this with the newer kit?

Last edited:

P. Chong

I suggest just go ahead and do it. The system is excellent, and can stand scrutiny. Only at high ISOs does it fall apart (ok, anything above 400 is not ideal) but as a studio camera, or for slow, considered, deliberate work, its great.

Workflow is fine. Phocus is better than it ever was, and gone is the dodgy interface and buggy software. Simply export as tiff. Then PS, print. I print on a Canon 6350, and the results are breath taking. I have Lightroom, but I find the Phocus adjustments to be better. YMMV.

Gotcha? One. To shoot tethered, you need to find a computer that can work with FW. This will mean a used laptop. Its not an easy job. FW cannot be converted into USB whatever. When I replaced my Dell XPS Studio 16 with a HP Pavillon 16, I was left without a tethered solution. I need to look for an older laptop which supports FW to shot tethered again.

DougDolde

I'd buy a Nikon D810 or the upcoming replacement. Better sensor, equivalent megapixels, higher iso, and so on

Charles Wood

If I were faced with a decision, I'd forget the Hasselblad and go with a used Pentax 645Z...autofocus, lenses are affordable, state of the art 51 meg SONY sensor, better dynamic range and S/N performance than any available FF DSLR.
Or, a Pentax K1 with equivalent or better dynamic range and S/N to any other currently available DSLR and when using pixel shift, when situations allow, delivering outstanding color, better microcontrast and perceived sharpness than any other DSLR. At about $1800 USD New, the best bargain going in a FF DSLR, if shooting fast movement or sports isn't a requisite capability.

Jeffg53

Having had one, I can say that I really enjoyed it when I did. However, I would not contemplate buying one today. By today's standards it is a very old camera. It can't be long before Hasselblad drops support for it. Then, when it breaks, you are in serious trouble. My last H digital was an H4D 40 which I replaced with a D800 and adapted Leica R and Zeiss lenses. I have been tempted by the X1D and the new GFX but my reality is that the Nikon is so close that it's not worth the pain.

msadat

shooting with 35mm or medium format is a totally different experience and each with its own perspective. the end result is a an image but how you get it is quite different. for my one is fast and the other slow amongst many other differences. i enjoy both systems.

i have a h4d-50, the nikon and pentax k-1. all good. the pentax is limited in af lens support but whats out there is good. i have the 24-70, 15-30 pentax (tamron rebrand and some changes) and the sigma 35mm 1.4. i have traveled with this set and it was just wonderful.

h4d is not a travel camera for me, just local. nikon i have not shot for a while, i think the k-1 is a much better camera than the 810.

so is h3-39 viable? yes. flash or day time camera, slow, fantastic lenses gorgeous images

Thanks, folks. You convinced me to try a K1, and I found someone to trade for my Fuji stuff.

I appreciate the replies. I'll let you know how it goes. :)