The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XD1 Walk though

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The shutter lag or the lag in the form of the EVF blackout? No doubt, these ARE issues depending upon one uses the X1D. Generally not a problem for me.
Honestly with the new firmware and Image Preview off ... there is little blackout ... maybe the new firmware or just learning how to use the camera.

It does fulfill for me the place that the Mamiya 7 occupied ... cannot tell you how many negatives were compromised by very reputable commercial developers.

I am not a sport nor fashion photographer ... do not need 3 FPS ... just decent color and exposure ... which is found in spades in the X1D.

I do have to say that my first two events with demo cameras were a disaster ... surprising that I have a X1D at this point.

Bob

canuxr

The shutter lag or the lag in the form of the EVF blackout? No doubt, these ARE issues depending upon one uses the X1D. Generally not a problem for me.

The X2D with the next generation Sony 100 MP MF sensor will presumably be far more responsive. Hasselblad and Fuji are well aware of the limitations of the current Sony sensor in terms of providing "snappy" performance. I recall that Fuji has said publicly that it is intent on improving the shutter and EVF lag issues in future models of the GFX.
The only thing we know so far about the X2D is that the sensor will be announced on 2018. We will probably need to wait a year more for availability. So I guess we are talking about an X2D for 2019 as best case scenario?

docmoore

The only thing we know so far about the X2D is that the sensor will be announced on 2018. We will probably need to wait a year more for availability. So I guess we are talking about an X2D for 2019 as best case scenario?
Honestly we know nothing about the X2D ... and truly we know only the small small bits that Hasselblad is willing to share about the X1D.

Life is short ... if you need a camera ... find it and embrace it .... folks shucking fantasy should not be your home place. And really Hasselblad is verging on fantasy ...
they need to man up ... execute or explain why they cannot.

Just saying ...

Bob

John Brawley

Re: X1D Walk though

However ... one of the drawbacks that you mention was blackout time ... it took me a month to discover that if I turned off Image Preview there was no appreciable blackout ... the EVF is up as soon
Well I hate chimping, but if there's no feedback on your exposure from either the (lack) of blinkies in the EVF or on the preview image it makes it even harder to know how you're exposures are sitting. Easily fixed if they can put some better tools in the EVF to start with.

It's one of the advantages of an electronic EVF, you don't HAVE to take a picture first to know more precisely where you exposure is sitting. Hopefully this comes soon.

And if the GH5 can nail such impressive video specs ... seems like it should be doable in a small MF camera ... probably needs a fan and better heat dissipation. And you are correct that the X1D should
be seen as a companion camera ...
In my other career as a test pilot for Blackmagic Design, I have tested many sensors for them. This Sony sensor used in the X1D will never have a fast enough clock speed to be able to use the full sensor read-out to get past the integration time. It just can't happen fundamentally because the sensor is optimised for stills, not video. You could custom / develop order the sensor to do it, but main market is for stills not video so why spend the massive money and R&D to do that for such a niche exotic outcome. I doubt we'll see the RS time change. Maybe a full aperture video mode. Certainly if you put a PL mount on it and shot anamorphic it would be interesting, but it's fundamentally crippled for video by the RS. No firmware update will make the hardware any better in that regard.

If there is a dealer near you ... would suggest that you demo the camera with the newest firmware and turn Image Preview off in the menu. If you occasionally need to look at the capture hit the play button then return to LV. Think it might change your mind concerning the blackout issue.
I wasn't aware that you could turn it off to improve the preview speed. In the manual it does say the speed improves if you change from RAW & JPEG to RAW only, which I did.

John, my apologies for the tone of my previous comments ... your review was well reasoned for the time that you had with the camera
All good. We can move on.

I highly recommend that if you evaluate RAWs from the camera that you use Phocus ... in spite of its 1980's vibe and poor interface it has unbelievably good highlight recovery, clarity and of course lens
corrections built in. I output TIFF 16-2 files in ProPhoto to LR and then edit in PS. Actually very little is need in LR after processing with Phocus ... it is just my preferred image management program.
I liked the renders from Phocus. I just don't like the local adjustments and a two step post process isn't anything close to ideal for me. Too much time.

If you are interested in RAWs let me know ...
I'm good now that I have shot my own. There aren't any RAW's posted for download even on the X1D site, which I find bizarre.

JB

John Brawley

I'd never been more excited by a camera announcement than I was by the X1D. I was looking forward to a digital version of the Mamiya 7 or a medium format version of the Leica M digital cameras. It's neither. Needless to say I didn't buy.

Horses for courses.

Hi Keith.

I own a Mamiya 7 too and I was kind of hoping for the exact same thing.

JB

KeithL

Honestly we know nothing about the X2D ... and truly we know only the small small bits that Hasselblad is willing to share about the X1D.

Life is short ... if you need a camera ... find it and embrace it .... folks shucking fantasy should not be your home place. And really Hasselblad is verging on fantasy ...
they need to man up ... execute or explain why they cannot.

Just saying ...

Bob
Yup. Clients occasionally asked me to take a reduction on fees with the suggestion or promise that they would make it up to me in the future. My stock response was I can't live on promises.

KeithL

As I've said, I've not bought the camera but I'm afraid any blackout is a non starter for the applications I envisaged.

John Brawley

Doc, re your recent post,

I'll try it out, BUT

I tried to do a single shot burst pushing the button BEFORE the picture came back in the EVF and the camera TAKES a picture before the EVF comes back. But I don't see much point if you don't know what you're shooting.

And I assume you mean EVF not LCD coming back ?

JB

docmoore

And I assume you mean EVF not LCD coming back ?

JB
Actually I used the LCD and did not shoot until the pic was on the screen ... 1 second between captures ... so I assume that the blackout was slightly less than that. I used
the refresh LCD as a marker with regards to blackout .... in my shooting I rarely shoot more than one picture at a time ... unless I am exposure bracketing early in the morning where
I may prefer the rendering from a picture 1/2 to 1 stop different than my norm and I rarely do that.

I will try the EVF today to see if it is similar to the LCD ... assume the difference should be minimal. As I manually focus 95 percent of the time I just focused for the first shot and then did a series of three
on the same subject ... looking just at blackout times.

My Leica Q is very very fast in AF and refreshing the LV but in my use there is little difference in how I shoot it and the X1D. But when traveling I use the Q as it is fairly small ... has a decent sensor to 6400 and
the leaf shutter is silent above 1/2000 and very quiet below ... due to the electronic shutter from 1/2000 to 1/8000.

Actually just ran the series of three pictures ... manually focusing the first and shooting as soon a the EVF showed a LV again .... Image Preview off and Raw only. Card is a Sandisk 280mb/sec U3 64 gb but since
Image Preview is off I assume that any card would do fairly similar until you hit the buffer.

X1D 4116 90 F 3.2

Time from first to second was 2 seconds to capture and from second to third 1 second to capture ... based on the EXIF. With practice I may get it down to 1 second consistently .... and
do not know what occurs when the buffer is full.

So similar times to the LCD refresh ... so the ability to capture is not really affected by blackout ... would take me longer to recompose and focus than the time between shots here.

The LCD pictures are in my gallery at the present here at GETDPI.

Regards,

Bob

hcubell

Actually I used the LCD and did not shoot until the pic was on the screen ... 1 second between captures ... so I assume that the blackout was slightly less than that. I used
the refresh LCD as a marker with regards to blackout .... in my shooting I rarely shoot more than one picture at a time ... unless I am exposure bracketing early in the morning where
I may prefer the rendering from a picture 1/2 to 1 stop different than my norm and I rarely do that.

I will try the EVF today to see if it is similar to the LCD ... assume the difference should be minimal. As I manually focus 95 percent of the time I just focused for the first shot and then did a series of three
on the same subject ... looking just at blackout times.

My Leica Q is very very fast in AF and refreshing the LV but in my use there is little difference in how I shoot it and the X1D. But when traveling I use the Q as it is fairly small ... has a decent sensor to 6400 and
the leaf shutter is silent above 1/2000 and very quiet below ... due to the electronic shutter from 1/2000 to 1/8000.

Actually just ran the series of three pictures ... manually focusing the first and shooting as soon a the EVF showed a LV again .... Image Preview off and Raw only. Card is a Sandisk 280mb/sec U3 64 gb but since
Image Preview is off I assume that any card would do fairly similar until you hit the buffer.

X1D 4116 90 F 3.2 [/COLOR

Time from first to second was 2 seconds to capture and from second to third 1 second to capture ... based on the EXIF. With practice I may get it down to 1 second consistently .... and
do not know what occurs when the buffer is full.

So similar times to the LCD refresh ... so the ability to capture is not really affected by blackout ... would take me longer to recompose and focus than the time between shots here.

The LCD pictures are in my gallery at the present here at GETDPI.

Regards,

Bob

Bob, have you tried photographing the stop watch on your phone, which shows hundredths of a second? It should be much more accurate. I did that last Winter right after I received my X1D to test shutter lag (i.e., the delay from the time you depress the shutter till the exposure is made), and as I measured it, it was about 120 hundredths of a second, or 120 milliseconds.

docmoore

Bob, have you tried photographing the stop watch on your phone, which shows hundredths of a second? It should be much more accurate. I did that last Winter right after I received my X1D to test shutter lag (i.e., the delay from the time you depress the shutter till the exposure is made), and as I measured it, it was about 120 hundredths of a second, or 120 milliseconds.
It would probably be a bit more accurate but the reality of this test is that it measures visual acuity central discrimination and peripheral coordination ... fire the shutter await the visual return of the EVF and then repeat.

Truth be told ... in my 20's I had huge resources for stamina ... not a bit for fast hand eye coordination ... after the second time I was beaned by a baseball ... I retreated into quieter slower endeavors .... and now in my 60's I am
grateful when the waiter does not suggest a bib ...

Honestly if 1 second blackout is a problem ... buy a Sony A9 .....

Regards,

Bob

hcubell

It would probably be a bit more accurate but the reality of this test is that it measures visual acuity central discrimination and peripheral coordination ... fire the shutter await the visual return of the EVF and then repeat.

Truth be told ... in my 20's I had huge resources for stamina ... not a bit for fast hand eye coordination ... after the second time I was beaned by a baseball ... I retreated into quieter slower endeavors .... and now in my 60's I am
grateful when the waiter does not suggest a bib ...

Honestly if 1 second blackout is a problem ... buy a Sony A9 .....

Regards,

Bob
Priceless, Bob.