The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D XH Adapter

hcubell

Hasselblad has started to ship the adapter for mounting the Hasselblad H series lenses on the X1D body. I did a bit of testing over the weekend with my H series 50mmII, 80mm, 100mm, 150mm, 210m and 300mm lenses on the X1D. I shot the 50mmII, the 80mm and 100mm lenses side by side with the X1D 45mm and 90mm lenses. A few, preliminary comments.
1. My tests confirmed for me just how good the X1D lenses are. While the 50mmII H lens is, to me, the best of the H series lenses I have ever used, the 45mm X1D lens outperforms it. The 90mm X1D lens is way better on the X1D than the 80mm or the 100mm H series lenses.
2. The 150mm, the 210mm and the 300mm H lenses are very good with the X1D. I am sure that the X1D equivalents, when they ultimately are released, will outperform them, but it is great having these H series lenses available now to fill out the system.
3. The X1D firmware has not been updated yet to allow AF with the H series lenses. That is supposedly coming. However, focus peaking and magnified live view ARE available and work well.
4. The 210mm lens should be used with a lens collar for the XH Adapter, but Hasselblad, inexplicably, did not ship the adapter with one. Strange. An aftermarket one is available from ppl.de in Germany. The 300mm lens has a collar built into it. Here is a photo showing it with a RRS plate on the foot. The 300m lens is a 240mm equivalent in FF 35mm.

XH Adapter.jpg

SrMphoto

Thanks for the report, still waiting on my XH adapter. At least I finally got the XCD30mm :).

Have you tried comparing HC50II on H6D-50c body, with XCD45mm on X1D? When I had H5D-50c I did not notice that XCD45mm was better than HC50mmII on H5D. I wonder how much performance is lost (if any at all) when using XH adapter.

hcubell

Thanks for the report, still waiting on my XH adapter. At least I finally got the XCD30mm :).

Have you tried comparing HC50II on H6D-50c body, with XCD45mm on X1D? When I had H5D-50c I did not notice that XCD45mm was better than HC50mmII on H5D. I wonder how much performance is lost (if any at all) when using XH adapter.
No, I don't have an H6D-50c. I use a Phase IQ180 with an H2. I suppose it is possible that the placement of the sensor in the X1D compared to the H6D could make a difference, but I have no way of checking it.

Last edited:

philipcasecohen

Hi Howard - thanks for sharing this image and update on the XH. I have been considering this exact combination myself - how have you found the 300mm to perform on the sensor and also with manual focus? Considering the 300mm vs the 210mm for a longer focal length and appreciate any insight you can share. (I use 100mm-400mm on a FF SLR regularly and looking for an alternative.

Best,
Phil

hcubell

Hi Howard - thanks for sharing this image and update on the XH. I have been considering this exact combination myself - how have you found the 300mm to perform on the sensor and also with manual focus? Considering the 300mm vs the 210mm for a longer focal length and appreciate any insight you can share. (I use 100mm-400mm on a FF SLR regularly and looking for an alternative.

Best,
Phil
I did not spend enough time trying out the HC 210mm and 300mm lenses to reach any conclusions as to how they perform across the frame. What I focused on was quite sharp, but the DOF is pretty thin so its tough to judge the corners. I was more focused on comparing the HC 50mmII, 80mm and 100mm lenses with the XCD 45mm and 90mm lenses. I did confirm that manual focusing with the HC 210 and 300mm lenses works very well, because you can use either magnified live view or focus peaking. I think it is fair to say that I can focus the HC lenses on the X1D in MF much more accurately that I ever could using either AF or MF with my H2 body and a digital back that lacks a well implemented version of magnified live view MF. That's a pretty big deal.

hcubell

Is the X1D better than the IQ180
For me, yes. The only advantages of the IQ180 are the somewhat marginal increase in MP over the X1D, the ability to use Capture One and the beautiful optical viewfinder of the H2. By comparison, the X1D is a small, light and portable system with terrific lenses and a terrific sensor. The MF and AF are more accurate, the dynamic range is better, I can use ISOs up to 1600 with little or no compromise, I prefer the color rendition, and it's weatherproof. Oh, and I don't balk at picking it up and taking it with me on a hike. Ansel Adams said that the best camera is the heaviest camera that you can carry. Today, the best camera is the lightest camera that allows you to achieve your objectives from an artistic and technical standpoint. That's the X1D. Others will, no doubt, see it differently. I respect that.

Last edited:

SrMphoto

For me, yes. The only advantages of the IQ180 are the somewhat marginal increase in MP over the X1D, the ability to use Capture One and the beautiful optical viewfinder of the H2. By comparison, the X1D is a small, light and portable system with terrific lenses and a terrific sensor. The MF and AF are more accurate, the dynamic range is better, I can use ISOs up to 1600 with little or no compromise, I prefer the color rendition, and it's weatherproof. Oh, and I don't balk at picking it up and taking it with me on a hike. Ansel Adams said that the best camera is the lightest camera that allows you to achieve your objectives from a technical standpoint. That's the X1D. Others will, no doubt, see it differently. I respect that.
Agree on your opinion of X1D.

Question about you Ansel Adam quote. You quoted earlier a different one: "Ansel Adams is alleged to have said that the "best camera" is the heaviest camera that you are willing to carry".

Can you point me to the source of those quotes? Thanks!

hcubell

Agree on your opinion of X1D.

Question about you Ansel Adam quote. You quoted earlier a different one: "Ansel Adams is alleged to have said that the "best camera" is the heaviest camera that you are willing to carry".

Can you point me to the source of those quotes? Thanks!
My first version is what Ansel actually said. I read about his statement in a blog entry at the The Online Photographer on June 9, 2017. Ansel's statement made great sense back in the day when there was a direct correlation between the size/weight of the camera and the technical quality of the prints that you could make from it. My second version is how I (mis)remembered it, as this was how many who commented on the blog entry restated the maxim: the best camera is the lightest one available that still allows you to achieve your artistic and technical goals. So, if you want to make 40"x50" prints (without stitching) with exceptional clarity, M43 won't do the trick. It will if you only want 8"x10" prints.

Last edited:

rayyen

Thanks for above valuable sharing.
I've been waiting for my adaptor for a while, but no luck.
Anyone know anywhere may have stock of the marvellous adaptor?

rayyen

Big thanks Hucbell,
No luck on me, they have one in stock, but gone to someone pre-ordered.
And they said they will not order further stock until AF is enabled.

:(

sog1927

I'm confused. Why would there be any difference at all? The XH adapter is just a tube, right? All it does is add some extension to make up for the difference in flange to sensor distance. Same optics, same sensor - why would you expect different results? There might be some differences due to different firmware in the cameras, I suppose.

SrMphoto

I'm confused. Why would there be any difference at all? The XH adapter is just a tube, right? All it does is add some extension to make up for the difference in flange to sensor distance. Same optics, same sensor - why would you expect different results? There might be some differences due to different firmware in the cameras, I suppose.
Even if we cannot think of any reason that there should be any difference, we still have two complete different systems and tests are meaningful.

I have compared X1D with XCD45mm and H6D-100c with HC50mmII. It is not quite fair because of resolution difference. Scaled to 50mp, the results are very similar. There are slight differences (contrast, colors), but I do not see clear advantage of one or the other. Good job on XCD45mm! I did not notice that HC50mmII is worse than XCD45mm. Will repeat the test once I get XH adapter.

tcdeveau

Has anyone bought or ordered or tried the aftermarket lens collar from ppl.de? Now that I've got the X-H adapter and an HC 210mm lens, a collar/foot seems necessary. Maybe I should prod RRS to get in the game.

Joe
Hey Joe, I asked RRS about it awhile ago and they said they had no plans, and questioned whether such an adapter could even be possible (if I remember correctly, it was months ago). More prodding is probably a good idea :) I was planning on maybe getting a RRS lens support kit when mine arrives, but that is more cumbersome than a collar.
-Todd

hcubell

Has anyone bought or ordered or tried the aftermarket lens collar from ppl.de? Now that I've got the X-H adapter and an HC 210mm lens, a collar/foot seems necessary. Maybe I should prod RRS to get in the game.

Joe
Joe, Peter Lorber in Boca Raton, FL has the PPL collar in stock. 561-361-0031. I ordered one.

hcubell

Here is a quick little test of the XH Adapter with the HC 300mm lens at f/11 that was shot at a pretty good distance. The HC 300mm lens is excellent, and it shows with the adapter on the XiD. The first is the full scene. The second is a 100% crop from the center. The third is a crop from the lower left corner. The fourth is a 100% crop from the upper right corner. The fifth is a 100% crop from the lower right corner.

B_02878.jpg

B_02878_C.jpg

B_02878LL.jpg

B_02878_UR.jpg

B_02878_LR.jpg

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I waited till Joe placed his order then called Peter ... he was willing to sell me his PPL collar but I deferred till a new shipment arrived.

Wonderful interchange ... he sounds to be the genuine proprietor and gentleman ... glad to have his number.

Love the pics from the 300 ... it is on my short list ... to be followed by the 210 ... unless H introduces native lenses that
are telephoto ... and God willing APO.

Regards,

Bob