The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D XH Adapter

hcubell

I’m experimenting with the adapter and the HC 210mm lens. My experiment was a test of how difficult it would be to manually focus a fast moving, twitchy…bird. With a rubber lens hood attached, and the hood pressed against the double-pane kitchen window closest to the bird feeder, here are two test shots.

These are significant crops from the full frames and show the power of having cameras nowadays with high-megapixel, high-DR sensors. No tripod, no IBIS/VR/ISS/OSS. Just a young-at-heart old guy enjoying new equipment (and birds). I used +50 Luminance Noise Reduction in LR and some sharpening. The OOC camera WB was right on. And highlights on the goldfinch, which I usually blow, weren’t in this case.

Thanks to Howard and Peter Lorber (and to Bob for not ordering until I had placed my order :D) I'm using the ppl.de collar. It's well made and works perfectly with the HC 210mm. And yes Bob, Peter is a "genuine proprietor and gentleman".

Joe
Handheld??? Pretty impressive, Joe.

hcubell

Joe:
My PPL Collar just arrived and, unfortunately, the integral Arca Swiss compatible foot does NOT fit the RRS BH-55 with the clamp lever. Too narrow. However, RRS has a generic plate that looks like it would mount to the collar and be compatible with the BH-55. The MPR-73.

tcdeveau

Joe:
My PPL Collar just arrived and, unfortunately, the integral Arca Swiss compatible foot does NOT fit the RRS BH-55 with the clamp lever. Too narrow. However, RRS has a generic plate that looks like it would mount to the collar and be compatible with the BH-55. The MPR-73.
Thanks Howard for sharing. That's annoying. I just got in touch with Peter about the PPL collar myself and have the BH-55 with the clamp lever, so I'll have to find a solution as well whenever I get my hands on one and start using it.
-Todd

D&A

Thanks Howard. Remember that I was pressing the rubber hood tightly against the window. And hand fatigue quickly rears its ugly head.

Joe
Very impressive indeed! Even a good monopod would alleviate hand stress when using this combo in the field. Manfretto makes a monopod that has small retractable mini tripod feed at the bottom, which was a big boon for support when in localtions that didnt permit a tripod or when traveling light on a nature hike. Does the X1D-XH adapter support autofocus? If not, does Hasselblad plan to implement this in the future?

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Howard, the MPR-73 is likely the best choice. I have one that I'm not using if you'd like to "try before you buy". Just let me know. I switched to a screw clamp when I bought the p0 Hybrid and can be confident in it being tight. I'm selling a like-new RRS B2-LR-II on the Buy & Sell forum that is redundant.

Dave, the X-H adapter doesn't support AF at the current time. We've been led to believe that a future firmware update will add AF. When that is released is anybody's guess.

I'm probably not going to have many (any?) occasions when I'm out and about with these HC lenses without a tripod. Thanks for the monopod suggestion however. I don't have one currently and will take a look at the Manfrotto if I get the urge to add one to my kit.

Joe

For some indoor concert photograhy while on the move in an indoor venue where use of a tripod was impossible, I used that monopod with retractable feet with a long telephoto and it was effective in allowing shutter speeds well below handheld abilty. I've also used it in macro photography in instances where tripods were impractacle.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

hcubell

Howard, the MPR-73 is likely the best choice. I have one that I'm not using if you'd like to "try before you buy". Just let me know. I switched to a screw clamp when I bought the p0 Hybrid and can be confident in it being tight. I'm selling a like-new RRS B2-LR-II on the Buy & Sell forum that is redundant.

Dave, the X-H adapter doesn't support AF at the current time. We've been led to believe that a future firmware update will add AF. When that is released is anybody's guess.

I'm probably not going to have many (any?) occasions when I'm out and about with these HC lenses without a tripod. Thanks for the monopod suggestion however. I don't have one currently and will take a look at the Manfrotto if I get the urge to add one to my kit.

Joe
I also have a D4 Geared with Classic Knob and Quick Release. The PPL foot fits fine on that head. Not on the BH-55

Last edited:

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I read that the forthcoming autofocus feature for the adapter will only work on HC/HCD lenses manufactured after 2013. Is that actually the case?
Thanks
tim hyde

hcubell

I read that the forthcoming autofocus feature for the adapter will only work on HC/HCD lenses manufactured after 2013. Is that actually the case?
Thanks
tim hyde
I believe it's for lenses manufactured in 2012 and after. However, I am not sure.

mkerouac

My XH Adapter showed up from B&H today. instructions are very basic. No commentary on AF or Orange dot vs. legacy HC glass. I know a lot of X1D owners are using the adapter for long HC lenses. I want to try it out with 100mm 2.2. i'll test it tomorrow with a few focal lengths, but the 100mm will be my main focus.

hcubell

My XH Adapter showed up from B&H today. instructions are very basic. No commentary on AF or Orange dot vs. legacy HC glass. I know a lot of X1D owners are using the adapter for long HC lenses. I want to try it out with 100mm 2.2. i'll test it tomorrow with a few focal lengths, but the 100mm will be my main focus.
Do you have the X1D 90mm lens? If so, don't compare it to the HC 100 2.2 lens. No comparison.

hcubell

You consider the XCD 90 considerably better than the 100 HC on the X1d ?
Definitely, for my uses, but for some the 2.2 max aperture may be more important than edge to edge sharpness. In fact, for portraits it may be a disadvantage.