The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX with custom 24mm TSE ii in Los Angeles

dnercesian

looking good

please define custom 24mm tse
Thanks! It is a 24mm TS-E L ii that has been modified to be fully mechanical, therefore it has a functioning aperture ring without the need for any electronics. I use these so that I do can interchange them from my Leica SL's, GFX, pretty much whatever.

For instance I use the HCAM dual shift adapter on the Leica SL, so there is no hope of passing electronics to the camera and I don't like to preset apertures because I would rather do the focussing wide open. This comes in very handy for me.

Awesome!

Is Stefan Stein looking to sell this under the Hcam/Hartblei banner? Similar to what he has done with the modified Canon 11-24mm lens?

dnercesian

Awesome!

Is Stefan Stein looking to sell this under the Hcam/Hartblei banner? Similar to what he has done with the modified Canon 11-24mm lens?
I am not sure where this lens mod project is going yet, however, I communicate with Stefan often and have been using his dual shift adapter for the Leica SL for some time now at work with great success. Also, I asked Stefan for his thoughts on other lenses to perform this modification to and he suggested the 11-24 as well as a few others I plan on looking into.

I should know more this week about when more units might be available for production as well as the cost.

Good one, great to hear!

Just one question, I also have the Hcam Master for use on my Sony A7RII, just wondering if you have noticed any weird flare occurring with this adapter?

I have noticed (internal) flare with both this and also a Kipon (basically a Mirex knock off) I have for a Pentax 645 - Eos adapter.

Any thoughts? In my experience, this has been reduced by adding "flocking material" to the adapter but this is not ideal really and doesn't even really do the job 100%.

Am hoping that upcoming adapters for the GFX address this issue...

dnercesian

Interesting, could you explain how it was modified to be fully mechanical, please?
The front portion of the lens is removed and the optics are re-housed in a unit that uses a thinner focus ring to accommodate the space for an aperture ring. The aperture is converted to T-Stops and measured carefully so that engravings can be made properly indicating the T-Stops through the range. The electronic/magnetic aperture mechanism is disregarded and replaced with a mechanical linkage that opens and closes the aperture mechanically as the aperture ring is turned. In the case of the 17mm, a new cap has to be machined which slips on to the new upper housing to protect the lens whin not in use.

dnercesian

Good one, great to hear!

Just one question, I also have the Hcam Master for use on my Sony A7RII, just wondering if you have noticed any weird flare occurring with this adapter?

I have noticed (internal) flare with both this and also a Kipon (basically a Mirex knock off) I have for a Pentax 645 - Eos adapter.

Any thoughts? In my experience, this has been reduced by adding "flocking material" to the adapter but this is not ideal really and doesn't even really do the job 100%.

Am hoping that upcoming adapters for the GFX address this issue...
I have had that flare with the TSE lenses and smartphone adapters on both A7 series cameras and the SL, but I have yet to experience that on my dual shift adapter with the TSE lenses or with my Leica R lenses, which is actually sort of odd as I thought I would.

Interesting, not sure what could have changed design wise but good to hear either way...

I would be happy to see an adapter for the GFX that was similar to the Sigma MC-11. Already has flocking, so much less chance of internal flare...

With regards to the Contax 645 lenses, I feel like this market is equally as desirable as the Canon TS-E lenses as currently there is no way to use these lenses and exploit their larger image circle, other than "presetting" the aperture and attaching them to a viewcamera somehow...

At least with the Canon TS-E lenses, there are now a few ways in which you can control the aperture and still have the movements from the lens... ie Cambo, Kipon, Steel Chen...

Granted, these adapters will not give you "independent" movements, like you have with the Hcam Dual Shift but it is something...

BJNY

The front portion of the lens is removed and the optics are re-housed in a unit that uses a thinner focus ring to accommodate the space for an aperture ring. The aperture is converted to T-Stops and measured carefully so that engravings can be made properly indicating the T-Stops through the range. The electronic/magnetic aperture mechanism is disregarded and replaced with a mechanical linkage that opens and closes the aperture mechanically as the aperture ring is turned. In the case of the 17mm, a new cap has to be machined which slips on to the new upper housing to protect the lens whin not in use.
Would you share who did this modification, and what the cost was, please?

Pictures of the modified lens(es) would also be greatly appreciated.

dnercesian

Would you share who did this modification, and what the cost was, please?

Pictures of the modified lens(es) would also be greatly appreciated.
It is not yet a service that is available for sale yet. I am working on that though currently with the technician. I am essentially paying for the R&D and providing the lenses for the prototyping. Originally I set out to do this for me just to have a set of forever lenses that could be used across platforms without being dependent on electronics. If there is not enough of a market for it, I will just eat the costs and have my lenses. If there is a market and the final cost is something that people are willing to pay, then I was thinking about doing a Kickstarter or gofundme.

As we are still in the prototype stage, I don't really want to release a photo, but if all goes well, that will be coming soon. Either way, whether it ends up being something for me or something generally for sale, I will follow up with photos of every lens I end up converting.

Geoff

It is not yet a service that is available for sale yet. I am working on that though currently with the technician. I am essentially paying for the R&D and providing the lenses for the prototyping. Originally I set out to do this for me just to have a set of forever lenses that could be used across platforms without being dependent on electronics. If there is not enough of a market for it, I will just eat the costs and have my lenses. If there is a market and the final cost is something that people are willing to pay, then I was thinking about doing a Kickstarter or gofundme.

As we are still in the prototype stage, I don't really want to release a photo, but if all goes well, that will be coming soon. Either way, whether it ends up being something for me or something generally for sale, I will follow up with photos of every lens I end up converting.
Very interesting. There is probably a path from Canon mount to M-mount, meaning a state of the art T/S lens on an M... Hmm. Keep us updated, please!

gerald.d

Great news! I hope it is real. I can see them updating the 45 & 90 to have independent movements like the 17 & 24Lii. Maybe even improve the optics although I have always found the 45/90 superb. I wonder what the 3rd lens might be...
My money is on bringing back the 35mm.

mark1958

I have been using the Schneider 28mm and 90mm PC-TS Super Anglon lens on the GFX. The lenses are in Nikon mount and I use a Nikon to GFX adapter. I did a comparison of the Nikon 24mm PC-E and Schneider and the Nikon was better edge to edge and from what I read the Canon 24mm TSE II blows the Nikon away. On the GFX, the Schneider is decent in the center but not as good in the corners. I may consider selling it at some point. The 90mm is quite good. A little falloff in the extreme corners at mid 10 meter or so distances but very good resolution. The Schneider lenses are a little more complicated to use than the Nikon or Canon TSE /PC-E lenses though and it takes some time to get used to it.

dnercesian

I have been using the Schneider 28mm and 90mm PC-TS Super Anglon lens on the GFX. The lenses are in Nikon mount and I use a Nikon to GFX adapter. I did a comparison of the Nikon 24mm PC-E and Schneider and the Nikon was better edge to edge and from what I read the Canon 24mm TSE II blows the Nikon away. On the GFX, the Schneider is decent in the center but not as good in the corners. I may consider selling it at some point. The 90mm is quite good. A little falloff in the extreme corners at mid 10 meter or so distances but very good resolution. The Schneider lenses are a little more complicated to use than the Nikon or Canon TSE /PC-E lenses though and it takes some time to get used to it.
It is too bad about the optics on that Schneider 28mm. It isn't awful, but it is not on par with the others like you mentioned, especially the Canons. The reason I say it is too bad is because it is a mechanical masterpiece. Well, I will pull back on that a little. There are some operating quirks to get used to, but the lens is purely mechanical, precisely geared, and a pleasure to operate once you are used to it.