The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RAW converter for Fuji GFX

baudolino

Recommended raw converters for Fuji GFX files?
Not that many options - I use LR CC mostly, as it is the only converter that allows tethering with the GFX (and lets me use import presets while tethering, which I find useful). The Iridient Developer also works but I am not a big fan of the user interface.

Don Libby

It's time consuming and a bit of a PIA however this is my workflow: load files in a dir names after the date shot ie 08012017 once their loaded a make a sub dir named dng. The next step is running Adobe dng converter which is fast. The next step is opening EXIF Pilot and run a batch replacing two lines (adding IQ3-50 and Phase One). This step takes the most time and I'll normally walk away for a few minutes before coming back. Once all the files have been converted to .dng I open the dng dir in C1 and begin processing. Takes a few extra steps and time however I much prefer processing in C1.

Don

Mark C

It's time consuming and a bit of a PIA however this is my workflow: load files in a dir names after the date shot ie 08012017 once their loaded a make a sub dir named dng. The next step is running Adobe dng converter which is fast. The next step is opening EXIF Pilot and run a batch replacing two lines (adding IQ3-50 and Phase One). This step takes the most time and I'll normally walk away for a few minutes before coming back. Once all the files have been converted to .dng I open the dng dir in C1 and begin processing. Takes a few extra steps and time however I much prefer processing in C1.

Don
Sounds like a lot of extra work there to get into a software set up not designed to work with what you're importing. Like most, I'm using CC and I find it works fine with the GFX RAW files. Does your workaround give access to the Fuji film simulations in C1? I understand C1 supports the Fuji X series cameras so I'm guessing that's possible?

felix5616

Sounds like a lot of extra work there to get into a software set up not designed to work with what you're importing. Like most, I'm using CC and I find it works fine with the GFX RAW files. Does your workaround give access to the Fuji film simulations in C1? I understand C1 supports the Fuji X series cameras so I'm guessing that's possible?
Thanks

Don Libby

It might not be the perfect solution however it works for me as it gives me the same level of control in processing that I have with my IQ1-100.

Paul2660

No the C1 work around doesn't allow for the Fuji Film simulations, however IMO C1 does a much better job on the raw files in most cases than LR/CC. Adobe tends to make a 1 and done approach, and so far their one and done on the GFX is lacking. Especially if you go to higher ISO ranges. I was shocked at the LR raw conversion on the ISO 1600 and 2500 shots I tested when I first received the GFX, the noise levels were pretty harsh. Same raws in C1 were much better.

Actually, the color profile issue is not that big a deal for me. Hasselblad, P1 and Fuji are all using the same 50MP Sony chip.

The C1 profile for the IQ250/350 works very well, and I tend to prefer the color from C1 over LR.

The only issues I have seen is the LR can't make a pano from imported C1/Fuji tifs. Which is strange as the same tifs can be exported to CC and it will work fine on a pano. LR can make a pano from the GFX raf files just not the C1 tifs.

It would be nice to see future support from C1, but that appears to be a no go for reasons already stated. Fuji's attitude on raw conversion is lacking IMO much like Pentax and their K1. Both companies have an excellent platform, but do not spend anytime on a raw converter like Phocus from Hasselblad which does a great job on the X1D files, or C1 on P1. As large as Fuji is this oversight has always surprised me. But I still use their cameras.

Paul Caldwell

Last edited:

hcubell

Fuji's attitude on raw conversion is lacking IMO much like Pentax and their K1. Both companies have an excellent platform, but do not spend anytime on a raw converter like Phocus from Hasselblad which does a great job on the X1D files, or C1 on P1. As large as Fuji is this oversight has always surprised me. But I still use their cameras.

Paul Caldwell
The reason is quite simple, actually. Fuji's view of the digital world is that it is still in the film business, and film=JPEGs, so it is focused on film simulations for JPEGs. That's the approach Fuji followed with the X series cameras, where a huge percentage of X shooters shot JPEGs. So, Fuji figured that GFX shooters would be the same. I am not making this up. It's in Fuji's own words.
Please understand that this is not a knock on the GFX or the many highly capable photographers who will use it to produce great work. The camera and lenses are terrific.

Mark C

The reason is quite simple, actually. Fuji's view of the digital world is that it is still in the film business, and film=JPEGs, so it is focused on film simulations for JPEGs. That's the approach Fuji followed with the X series cameras, where a huge percentage of X shooters shot JPEGs. So, Fuji figured that GFX shooters would be the same. I am not making this up. It's in Fuji's own words.
Please understand that this is not a knock on the GFX or the many highly capable photographers who will use it to produce great work. The camera and lenses are terrific.
I do like to have the option to be able to apply the film simulation modes with the GFX files in CC. For quick adjustments where little p p is required, this can also be done in Fujis own software Silky pix.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The only issues I have seen is the LR can't make a pano from imported C1/Fuji tifs. Which is strange as the same tifs can be exported to CC and it will work fine on a pano. LR can make a pano from the GFX raf files just not the C1 tifs.

Paul Caldwell
Paul,

Are you on a Mac? I had a similar problem with malformed tifs from C1 Pro that some apps read fine but others barfed on. Turns out that there's a issue in tif handling in OS X regarding tiling in the output recipe.

This fixed all of my issues:
https://captureintegration.com/tech-tip-mitigating-black-tiffs-in-el-capitan-10-11-6/

Paul2660

Hi Graham:

I will try that, thanks for the tip. Currently, the issue happens on Windows or Mac.

If you are using the GFX, I would appreciate you trying a simple test.

Take a series of images for a pano, horizontal or vertical from the GFX, then convert them to dng to allow C1 to work on them. Export as tif and then import to LR. LR odds on will not make a pano from the tifs, but if import the same raw (RAF) files to LR, it will create the pano fine. While in LR, you can edit in CC to create a pano with no problem but CC doesn't have boundary warp which I love. Yes you can warp in CC, but the effect tends to be more destructive for some reason.

I love the GFX for pano's as I can easily work hand held, unlike the larger Phase body which works best for me on tripod.

Paul Caldwell