The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trying to locate Contax 645 lens schematics

Duff photographer

Howdo all,

Okay, I'm not sure if this post should be in the medium format section as will be evidenced below - one foot in MF and one foot in Nikon 35mm.

At present, I have a bunch of Contax 645 lenses. Sadly I can't afford a MF camera to attach to them. I regret selling my Contax 645 for a paltry sum many years ago (since when prices are now approaching what they were when new) and a second-hand Leica S and adapter is also out of my price range.

The next best thing is to find an adapter, such as the JAS, to attach the lenses to my full frame Nikon. Unfortunately, it appears that the JAS adapter is no longer available.

The crux of this post is - does anyone know where I can obtain schematics of the electronics on the Contax 645 lenses? Ideally I would like to replicate what the JAS adpter can do - trigger aperture and auto-focus (I have the aptitude, means, and skills to construct such an adapter). To this end I would also need info on the Nikon end of the connections - presumably available in repair manuals for, in my case, D5, D500, and D300S?

Can anyone help in any way?

Many thanks.

Duff

Oren Grad

Re the Contax schematics:

This is probably a stretch, but when ToCAD America stopped servicing Contax they started referring inquiries to Nippon Photoclinic in NYC. So you might try them.

Even more of a stretch, since AFAIK they do their surgery only on Contax N lenses, but on the chance that the N and 645 AF lenses share the same protocols, you might try Conurus.

Good luck!

Duff photographer

Re the Contax schematics:

This is probably a stretch, but when ToCAD America stopped servicing Contax they started referring inquiries to Nippon Photoclinic in NYC. So you might try them.

Even more of a stretch, since AFAIK they do their surgery only on Contax N lenses, but on the chance that the N and 645 AF lenses share the same protocols, you might try Conurus.

Good luck!
Thanks Oren for the lead. I'll follow it and see what happens.

All the best,
Duff

Duff photographer

Thanks again to Oren.

A quick update in case anyone else wishes to pursue this in the future.

Nippon photoclinic (who replied very promptly) say they do not possess the schematics and that the 645 lenses are repaired/serviced in Japan at the main factory. As Contax ceased service/repairs of Contax gear in 2015 I assume this is old news. I have since discovered that a firm in Japan has bought up all the Contax 645 (and other models?) parts, and as an aside, many of which are now no longer available (e.g., Contax N auto-focus motors). I have yet to find the name of the firm but I assume they would have the schematics. I'll post again if i get any further information.

No reply yet from Conurus.

My quest continues.

I may have to find a cheap dead Contax 645 lens and reverse engineer the electronics but I think I've only seen one in the last 10 years.

Cheers,
Duff.

Oren Grad

I have since discovered that a firm in Japan has bought up all the Contax 645 (and other models?) parts, and as an aside, many of which are now no longer available (e.g., Contax N auto-focus motors). I have yet to find the name of the firm but I assume they would have the schematics.
I tried wading through the Kyocera home market website but couldn't find anything relevant - almost all references to Contax are gone. But I wonder whether Bellamy Hunt ("Japan Camera Hunter") might know or be able to find out - one of the services he has offered is to serve as an intermediary for folks overseas who are seeking repair services available only in Japan.

Duff photographer

http://forum.xitek.com/thread-1293351-1-1-1.html

Don't need to reinvent the wheel. Just email and see if you can buy one from this guy:

[email protected]
Yes. I emailed him a year ago and three months ago but no reply. I've spoken to others who have not had a response for up to 16 months. We've assumed he is no longer operating.

Thanks Oren - I'll try him.

Satrycon - I'll try them again. I didn't get a response last time I enquired but they're usually pretty good at responding.

Cheers,
Duff

Satrycon

easier to check with BH..he knows a lot :) http://www.japancamerahunter.com/contact-us/

Yes. I emailed him a year ago and three months ago but no reply. I've spoken to others who have not had a response for up to 16 months. We've assumed he is no longer operating.

Thanks Oren - I'll try him.

Satrycon - I'll try them again. I didn't get a response last time I enquired but they're usually pretty good at responding.

Cheers,
Duff

yongfei

Cheers,
Duff
He is still active on that xitek.com BBS forum. He is still interested in doing various adapters, just could not get well on the business side. So grab him and get an engineering Nikon adapter from him would be the best option. Or you may post a reply and offer a high price to obtain in that XITEK thread. Other hobbiest may sell theirs to you.

Duff photographer

He is still active on that xitek.com BBS forum. He is still interested in doing various adapters, just could not get well on the business side. So grab him and get an engineering Nikon adapter from him would be the best option. Or you may post a reply and offer a high price to obtain in that XITEK thread. Other hobbiest may sell theirs to you.
Thanks Yongfei. I'll try and contact him through xitek. Thanks for the lead. :thumbs:

Cheers,
Duff.