The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 63mm vs 32-64mm question

Paul2660

Another great point on the 63mm as it doesn't have a Linear motor, which is surprising to me. It is both slower to AF and is louder than an of the lenses with LM. The 45mm, which I was interested in for pano work supposedly doesn't have the LM either.

Optically the 63mm is very sharp for sure.

One feature of the GFX which is unlike any other Fuji X camera, is that you CAN power off the camera with the lens focused where you would like and if you turn the camera back on, the lens stays in previous position. The X series cameras always slightly change the focus point enough that you need refocus.

Also and this is even more important, you CAN switch from AF to MF, and the lens stays in focus. So, for pano work, you can hit your distance object with AF, then switch to MF and shoot the entire pano. This is important as if you stay on AF, you may hit clouds or sky with the selected AF point and the camera will attempt to focus on something odds are it can't lock on. I love this feature personally. With the X-T2 or Xpro2 or any X camera, if you switch from AF to MF your lens will slightly shift off of the previous focus point and you will see the focus check message.

I thought at first the GFX did the same thing, but after extensive testing, I have confirmed it works the other way, keeping the previous AF point.

This is no small issue since none of the GFX lenses have any markings to really help manual focus and since they are focus by wire, you will just keep turning the lens barrel, and not hit a hard stop. So I often use AF to hit my distance (AF on the GFX is very good in good light) then shift to MF and work the pano.

Paul Caldwell

M

mjr

Paul, I have mine in MF constantly with AF assigned to the rear button by the thumb so no need for changing between settings, only ever AF's with the thumb button and at all other times stays where you put it in MF mode. I found that to work very well but may be easier for you doing it your way.

Mat

I've been playing ping-pong in my mind about the zoom vs. primes. Disappointed that there was no early release of a moderate wide angle, I began with 63mm and a Pentax 645 35mm, equivalent to classic pairing of FF 50 and 28.

Lately I've entertained another thought and wonder if anyone has advice: Canon 45mm TS-E.

Pro: convenient focal length equivalent to 35mm - with T&S added. It's a manual focus lens that I guess needs only EF to GFX adapter.

Con: Searching for info about it, I read on some sort of rumor site that this is Canon's oldest TS design and is likely to be replaced soon with a redesign for digital sensors.

Any thoughts or experience?

Kirk

dnercesian

I've been playing ping-pong in my mind about the zoom vs. primes. Disappointed that there was no early release of a moderate wide angle, I began with 63mm and a Pentax 645 35mm, equivalent to classic pairing of FF 50 and 28.

Lately I've entertained another thought and wonder if anyone has advice: Canon 45mm TS-E.

Pro: convenient focal length equivalent to 35mm - with T&S added. It's a manual focus lens that I guess needs only EF to GFX adapter.

Con: Searching for info about it, I read on some sort of rumor site that this is Canon's oldest TS design and is likely to be replaced soon with a redesign for digital sensors.

Any thoughts or experience?

Kirk
I am a very big fan of the TSE lenses, and they work great with the Combo and Ripon electronic adapters. I am also modifying them to have mechanical apertures to do away with the electronics. But there is one con I want to add. In my opinion, manual focus stinks on the GFX.

Maybe I am spoiled by the Leica SL, where you can punch in focus and see clear as day what is in focus and what is not, whether you are using the EVF or LCD. But the GFX is very bad. You punch in only to get this very fuzzy low resolution image in both the EVF and on the LCD. I have even started to use the peaking function to deal with this, but nonetheless it is VERY annoying.

Thx and one more question: I hope I'm right in assuming the 45 TS-E, as a manual focus lens with aperture ring and no electronics for aperture, require only a basic E-series adapter?

I haven't had trouble with manual focus because I use GFX only for landscapes on a tripod. But I can understand the frustration involved in photographing events/street/portraits without AF. We haven't had to do that in a long time!

Kirk

dnercesian

Thx and one more question: I hope I'm right in assuming the 45 TS-E, as a manual focus lens with aperture ring and no electronics for aperture, require only a basic E-series adapter?

I haven't had trouble with manual focus because I use GFX only for landscapes on a tripod. But I can understand the frustration involved in photographing events/street/portraits without AF. We haven't had to do that in a long time!

Kirk
The 45mm TSE, out of the box, needs electronics to change the aperture.

Thx - that's what I needed to know: needs the $368 Kipon adapter. I'll factor that into the equation!

But I'm curious about how you're modifying them?

K

baudolino

I originally bought the GFX with the 63mm lens as it was the only lens that was available at the time. Soon thereafter, I added the 32-64 and have been using the zoom all the time - I used it in approx 95% of shots during my recent Iceland trip (it was windy, dusty, rainy and I didn't really want to keep changing lenses all the time), and I have enjoyed using it in the studio as well. Unlike some other GFX lenses (the 110 in particular) the zoom confidently focuses with the face ON/eye ON features switched on, which makes a big difference for me in shoots with models. In summary, I am a big fan of the 32-64 zoom and my 63 keeps staying in the drawer.

dnercesian

Thx - that's what I needed to know: needs the $368 Kipon adapter. I'll factor that into the equation!

But I'm curious about how you're modifying them?

K
I am having custom housings made as well as a mechanical linkage that connects an aperture ring on the new housing to the aperture mechanism in the lens. All the measurements were made carefully so that the engravings for the various apertures would be accurate.

mark1958

I have the zoom but met a local photography who had the prime. I shot some images at infinity. As great as the zoom is-- the prime is even better in terms of resolution especially at f4 - 5.6. The prime is just a little better than the zoom in the center but you can see the biggest difference at the edges and corners.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I have the zoom but met a local photography who had the prime. I shot some images at infinity. As great as the zoom is-- the prime is even better in terms of resolution especially at f4 - 5.6. The prime is just a little better than the zoom in the center but you can see the biggest difference at the edges and corners.
some samples would be quite informative ...

mark1958

Jim Kasson just posted this comparison and it is pretty much the same as what I found and stated last week. He posted examples :)

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/fuji-632-8-32-644-on-gfx/

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Jim Kasson just posted this comparison and it is pretty much the same as what I found and stated last week. He posted examples :)

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/fuji-632-8-32-644-on-gfx/
thanks. Quite helpful. I think Jim could find better subject matter to shoot to demonstrate the issue, but the comparisons do point out the advantage of the prime.

I've printed a couple of 30x40's from the zoom, and they've held up quite well, so I'm pretty comfortable with it. As I mentioned this kit will get very little action, only there for backup and when I can't pack the big kit.

I've travel a lot with a very good friend who also is a great photographer, and he's putting it to good use though. So lots of files to look at. He really likes working with the files compared to the a7r2 he's been shooting.