The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF AERIAL images

Mitch

I have recently become a devotee of MF aerial photography. In furtherance of this endeavor I have acquired a Cessna 206 aircraft that is a retired aerial survey plane with a 19 inch hole in the floor of the fuselage in which we have mounted a Phase One copy camera with my 3-100 back shooting through a 35mm blue ring lens. Most of my current photo inventory is ‘straight down’ rather than an oblique angle. We are rigging the aircraft to allow for oblique as well as straight down and will post
later as we get this figured out. I hope this thread will attract postings from other DMF aerial shooters. That said, here is my initial post. This image taken at about 1500 ft agl at F8, iso 400, 1/1250 sec and cropped square.

From Canyonlands NP

Attachments

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
206 is a great platform ... when I was flying there were regularly stolen and used by the cartels ... really a great flying truck.

Sounds like a wonderful project ... so much beauty from 1500-2000 AGL.

Main reason I flew was the view.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Bob

Mitch

206 is a great platform ... when I was flying there were regularly stolen and used by the cartels ... really a great flying truck.

Sounds like a wonderful project ... so much beauty from 1500-2000 AGL.

Main reason I flew was the view.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Bob

Thanks Bob, here's one from The Palouse

Attachments

gerald.d

The IQ3 100 and blue ring Schneider 35mm is a brilliant combination for aerial photography.

I did a test a while back where we put the Phase One iXU1000 (the Phase One aerial camera based on the IQ3 100) and 35mm in a Shotover mounted on a helicopter and then went for a fly over town. For those who are not familiar with it, the Shotover is a remote controlled stabilised gimbal. We ran a feed from the HDMI output to the control system inside the heli. So could see exactly what we were about to shoot the entire time. Stupidly simple to operate, and means you can get both the nadir shots and more general angles. It's hard not to get fixated on the nadir though!

The iXU has an automatic exposure option - basically it will apply exposure correction to the subsequent shot, so if the light changes dramatically, you simply take two shots in quick succession, and the second will be correctly exposed.

A few images...

Kind regards,

Gerald.

gerald.d

And here's one hand-held through an open door in a heli. ALPA TC and Rodie 32HR

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Shashin

That is the great thing about this "hobby." When it comes to costs, the sky's the limit (no pun intended). :toocool:

M

mjr

Cool! Acquiring a plane can be classed as proper dedication, very impressive!

Looking forward to seeing more, best of luck with it.

Mat

M

mjr

Ha, yes! It's a whole different ball game, I'm trying to drum up clients interested in aerial photography to warrant the purchase of a drone, feeling slightly inadequate!

ejpeiker

I posted this in the Fun with MF thread a while back but it fits here :)

Ord River tidal basin of the Timor sea, Western Australia

P1-IQ3100, SK 80mm, shot from a Bell Longranger helicopter with no doors. This photo won Grand Prize in Viewbug's "Our Natural World" 2016 Contest against 203,000 entries.

View attachment 128593

gerald.d

I posted this in the Fun with MF thread a while back but it fits here :)

Ord River tidal basin of the Timor sea, Western Australia

P1-IQ3100, SK 80mm, shot from a Bell Longranger helicopter with no doors. This photo won Grand Prize in Viewbug's "Our Natural World" 2016 Contest against 203,000 entries.
I'm not surprised - what a stunning shot!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

I have recently become a devotee of MF aerial photography. In furtherance of this endeavor I have acquired a Cessna 206 aircraft that is a retired aerial survey plane with a 19 inch hole in the floor of the fuselage in which we have mounted a Phase One copy camera with my 3-100 back shooting through a 35mm blue ring lens. Most of my current photo inventory is ‘straight down’ rather than an oblique angle. We are rigging the aircraft to allow for oblique as well as straight down and will post
later as we get this figured out. I hope this thread will attract postings from other DMF aerial shooters. That said, here is my initial post. This image taken at about 1500 ft agl at F8, iso 400, 1/1250 sec and cropped square.

From Canyonlands NP
Hi Mitch,

Great work! I've just done my first aerial shoot with an XF/IQ3100 over central London. I'm hooked!
I wrote a blog post about it here:
http://www.richardosbourne.com/blog...th-a-100mpixel-phase-one-xf-and-40-80-ls-lens

Richard

Smoothjazz

Richard,

Do you feel that the shutter speed of 1/1000 sec or 1/2000 sec was adequate to prevent any camera vibration from affecting your pictures when shooting from the helicopter? I was just curious to know what you think; the one time I took photos out of a helicopter I was using a gyroscope type device to help prevent camera vibrations. Next time I may forego the gyro.
Thanks,

John

Thanks Graham!

etrump

Incredible images! :thumbs:

Rice farm in the Mississippi River delta in SE Arkansas. Phase One XF/IQ3100 hanging out the window of a Cesna 172 about 1200 ft agl.