The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF AERIAL images

etrump

Kalalua Beach on Kauai from a helicopter. The doors off helicopter tour in Kauai is not to be missed. Hope to do again in December.

Cambo AE, Rodenstock HR32, IQ180:

gerald.d

Wow, looks like two 100mp sensors mounted vertically next to each other. Very cool!
Actually two totally separate cameras mounted vertically next to one another. There will be considerable separation of the sensors.

It will be interesting to see if they also market a slightly adjusted version of this set up (with more overlap between what the two cameras are imaging) as a stereoscopic solution.

Ed Hurst

Actually two totally separate cameras mounted vertically next to one another. There will be considerable separation of the sensors.
Very much doubt, at the altitude (= camera to subject distance) involved, that the separation will be of any consequence whatever...

gerald.d

The sensors/ lenses are shifted to create a 10% overlap, hence 190MP, so it's not 2 separate cameras...see White Paper
Of course it is two separate cameras. Two lenses. Two sensors.

They may well be designed and packaged into a single unit, but it is pretty odd to claim otherwise. It no doubt does it’s job admirably. Why pretend it is something it isn’t?

Two RAW files too, I bet.

jdphoto

As a licensed pilot I would shoot from the open door of a 1956 Super Cub. When I was prospecting for new clients at a major resort, I told them I do aerial photography. They proceeded to ask, do you have a drone? Alas, drones are far less expensive and honestly, can get perspectives I couldn't safely do. Aerial photography is prevalent in many productions and unfortunately because now anyone can fly drones, aerial photography run the risk of being overused like HDR.

yaya

The sensors/ lenses are shifted to create a 10% overlap, hence 190MP, so it's not 2 separate cameras...see White Paper
And there's a 3 sensor model as well, one of them being a NIR which uses a wider lens, to provide the same FOV as the other 2 put together.

Mitch

Hi all—

Been silent for a while, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been busy. When I last posted I had then recently purchased an ex aerial survey Cessna 206 with a hole in the floor to pursue aerial photography on a serious basis. While I got some pictures I was happy with, I am a big guy and that plane was way too confining for my 6’5” 265 lb frame. So, sold the 206 and bought a Cessna Caravan with a cargo pod below the fuselage that seemed ideal to mount cameras, meaning no hole in the floor in the plane.

CF101856.jpg

That was in July ’17. Very long story short, the FAA wants to have a say-so on almost ANY modifications to an airplane and after 7 months proposals, modifications and inspections I have an aerial camera platform I am pretty happy with.

The equipment specs: Phase Industrial IXU 1000 with 35LS shooting straight down mounted in a Kenyon Gyro. So as to avoid the noise generated with live view a Sony 4k video cam employed as a EVF replicating the FOV of the phase.

IMG_20180217_112325.jpg

We have a flip-down window in in the cabin to shoot obliques. That is Rick Rose with his Hassy.

IMG_9086.jpg

Some pictures of the project follow.

My favorite aerial subject of the moment, Canyonlands Green River.

GreenRivPan1.jpg

Tank Farm, Central Valley, California

18-1-24-oil field_0203.jpg

Salt Ponds, San Francisco Bay

Rick Rose Aerials 0415-2.jpg

Badwater, Death Valley

cap_2163-2.jpg

More To Come

Mitch

More from the Caravan!

Rouse_Mitch_20171227_00001.jpg

Phase One IQ150 60mm Exposure 1/400sec @ f/8.0 ISO 200

Rouse_Mitch_20171228_00002.jpg

Phase One iXU1000 35mm Exposure 1/800sec @ f/3.5 ISO 640

Rouse_Mitch_20171229_00003.jpg

Phase One IQ150 60mm Exposure 1/400sec @ f/11 ISO 400

Mitch

Great shots Mitch,

Where is that road I would love to get my M3 up there :grin:
I think it is the road to Hearst Castle. In central Calif, in any case. Trying to get an simple GPS hooked to the Phase Industrial camera. That aerial mapping gear is overkill for what I'm doing.

Mitch

Mitch

Today I was going through some recent collections and stumbled onto this image and wanted to share!

Rouse_Mitch_20170520_00001.jpg

Phase One IQ3, 35mm, 1/1000sec @ f/9.0 ISO 200

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Mitch,

I find myself having to live vicariously through your aerial photos as I have to rely on United / Delta etc. :thumbs:

Hardly MF but Sony RX1R: