Site Sponsors

Thread: Hasselblad H2 - entry level back?

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad H2 - entry level back?

I've got a line on a lightly used H2 (<7k actuations) with 80mm and 210mm lenses and am wondering what a reasonable (<$15K) back would be? Phase One? Leaf? I'm not ready to dump $20+K into MF, but willing to get my feet wet.

I'm considering Hassy over the Mamiya on recommendation of my brother who shoots MF and prefers the Hassy (and Sinar) glass. Opinions?

Thanks!
    Scott Watters
    PoloDigital | Flickr | Pbase
    Nikon | Hensel | Apple

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad H2 - entry level back?

Hi Scott

I just left Capture Integration's website and saw under their pre-owned section they list a P30 for $9,990; a P30+ for $13,990 and a P45 for $14,490.

Might be worthwhile to contact Chris Lawery there for more details.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lightbulb Re: Hasselblad H2 - entry level back?

Quote Originally Posted by PoloDigital View Post
    I've got a line on a lightly used H2 (<7k actuations) with 80mm and 210mm lenses and am wondering what a reasonable (<$15K) back would be? Phase One? Leaf? I'm not ready to dump $20+K into MF, but willing to get my feet wet.

I'm considering Hassy over the Mamiya on recommendation of my brother who shoots MF and prefers the Hassy (and Sinar) glass. Opinions?

Thanks!
    Leaf Aptus 65S for H1 with all caps, latest firmware @ US $7,932.60

2 batteries, 1 charger,

800/800 Firewire cable - 4.5m

800/400 Firewire cable - 4.5m

Latest Leaf capture Software.

12 months warranty @ Sunstudios Australia

more info at this link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2BSI%26otn%3D4
    MANA WAIRUA

Howard Cubell

If you are interested in a Hasselblad H series camera and one heck of a deal from a financial standpoint, Pro Centre in London is offering used H3D-39 cameras for about US $8,500. That's a complete camera for a bit more than 60% of the price of the used P45 back with no camera you were quoted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Cubell View Post
    If you are interested in a Hasselblad H series camera and one heck of a deal from a financial standpoint, Pro Centre in London is offering used H3D-39 cameras for about US $8,500. That's a complete camera for a bit more than 60% of the price of the used P45 back with no camera you were quoted.
    As I understand it these prices are not for complete cameras. The prices also do not include VAT at 15%. Non UK buyers will also have to pay insured shipping and variable levels of import duties and taxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leaf America current offers, click the 3rd tab for demo units

Aptus 22 for $6,669 is a very good deal I think

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    As I understand it these prices are not for complete cameras. The prices also do not include VAT at 15%. Non UK buyers will also have to pay insured shipping and variable levels of import duties and taxes.
    The prices appear to be for body+back, presumably with the standard prism too.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    http://www.procentre.co.uk/secondhan...l#hasselblad_h

They are complete cameras, ex VAT with a 6 month Guatantee.

Correct, non UK buyers would have to pay the duties, unless they got a cheapy flight to the UK and smuggled it home.

David

Post Thanks / Like

You could check out the Sinar eMotion54, which is what I use. I believe Sinar offers a 3 year warranty as standard too.

The eSprit65 back is also very interesting and the most advanced back out there at the moment (not in resolution but other features).

see http://www.sinar.ch/site/index__gast...-rand-632.html

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i've been trying to peddle my hasselblad 200TCC with the CFV back. you won't find a better priced entry into MF digital. uses the v system lenses, focal plane shutter, v style body. the 200TCC was the premier v body

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    They are complete cameras, ex VAT with a 6 month Guatantee.
    David

They should make this obvious, there is no mention of lenses in the description.

Had I known this a couple of months ago I would now be using a Hasselblad camera.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Keith,

Sorry, now it is not me being clear. Apologies.

Lense(s) would not be included in that price. I thought you meant that they were just a camera body or digital back.

However you can see down the list that there are also 2nd hand lenses available. Eg 80mm @ 795.

They also have everything in hire so there are possibilities.

David

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The issue I see is paying duties coming into the states. There going to nail you hard on this, obviously the other what if it shows up DOA than what. I know buying it sounds very attractive but makes me nervous. I have received bills from Fed-X three months later with duties attached to them buying a 6 k lens from Ffordes. It was like 380 dollars or something. Just be careful
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just be careful
    I couldn't agree more.

I've looked into importing cameras from the USA, even rang Customs and Excise for details, but as it turned out it really wasn't even worth considering.
    Costs alone ruled it out and that's before guarantees or any other considerations came into the equation.

I try to buy from the UK wherever possible and will if necessary buy from the EU, but that's as far as I'll go.

Keith

edwinb

I see there is a barely used Mamiya 645 with 54H and lens's in stock
    if interested fill out the enquiry form on the Sinar UK website and sales will give you details
    Edwin

Howard Cubell

The issue I see is paying duties coming into the states. There going to nail you hard on this, obviously the other what if it shows up DOA than what. I know buying it sounds very attractive but makes me nervous. I have received bills from Fed-X three months later with duties attached to them buying a 6 k lens from Ffordes. It was like 380 dollars or something. Just be careful
    That actually sounds about right. I am not sure what the rate of import duty is, but I think it is around 1.5%. David can chime in here, but it may also be possible to buy an extended warranty from Hasselblad on an H3D-39 that you buy from Pro Centre that is beyond the 6 month warranty they are offering.
    There is risk in buying anything used, from any dealer, but when I compare $8500 for an H series Hasselblad with a 39mp back with $14,000 just for a 31mp Phase P30+ back, I find the savings compelling. Add in the cost of a used H2 for that P30+, say $2,500, and the cost differential is $8,000. You can get a few nice HC lenses lightly used for that savings. Oh, and the Hasselblad is 39mp, not 31mp. Also important to note that Pro Centre is apparently a major rental house in London, not some hole in the wall in the Far East or private individual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm sure it maybe a safe place to buy but my thoughts on import are still there . Does make you think though they are a rental house also and if these units came from that dept.. I don't know and not going to assume just being the devils advocate here but rentals tend to get pretty beat up. Just from buying experience get some images of the units your thinking about so you can see if there is any damage and such. The cost savings are very compelling and I know the market is in a pinch, so everything maybe very good too. Again just be careful. This is a lot of money
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Howard Cubell

I'm sure it maybe a safe place to buy but my thoughts on import are still there . Does make you think though they are a rental house also and if these units came from that dept.. I don't know and not going to assume just being the devils advocate here but rentals tend to get pretty beat up. Just from buying experience get some images of the units your thinking about so you can see if there is any damage and such. The cost savings are very compelling and I know the market is in a pinch, so everything maybe very good too. Again just be careful. This is a lot of money
    Wise advice, Guy. For those savings, I would actually hop on one of those cheap flights over to London for a nice weekend, inspect the camera first hand and bring it back with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree a plane flight might be in order

Post Thanks / Like

The Pro Centre is actually owned by Hasselblad UK (common knowledge) but operated as a separate business. They rent everything from Canon, Nikon, Mamiya etc... you can see from the rental list on the website.

Any ex-rental stock is serviced and cleaned before being sold and also offered with that warranty. If you want to extend it then you can just take out a care plan as you wish. It is probably the safest place to buy second hand equipment.

...and also an excuse for a trip to London. ;-)

David

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    ...and also an excuse for a trip to London. ;-)

Weather in Miami
    Weather in London

Miami Girls

- from my recent shoot

Just saying :-).

Post Thanks / Like

The import duties into the US on camera gear are between 2-2.9%. In short, nada. IIRC that also only applies to lenses, etc, not bodies. The US Customs website can be used to search for relevant fees (have a coffee ready..)

WHAT IS NASTY and nails US/CDN buyers of gear are the 'brokerage fees' that couriers, especially UPS, charge when they ferry gear crosses a national border. The fee starts at a minimum and then scales based on declared value. On smaller purchases they can amount to a HEFTY percentage of value. Couriers are legally bound to charge any applicable duties as well.

That said, in most cases (for we folks in NA) the brokerage fee will grossly exceed the value of any duty. UPS is or was facing a class action suit in Canada because of them, but I stopped following it a couple of years ago. The seller sees none of it and IIRC neither does your/my government.

Example: I recently HAD to ship a $1800 lens I was selling to a US buyer via UPS (don't ask). Cringed thru the whole process. Took as long as Canada Post would have and the 'signature required' lens was left at his apartment door for the day. The combined fees charged by UPS was just over $90 - including a 2.9% duty.

UPS's brokerage fees are the reason why CDN photogs avoid places like KEH (who only ship UPS) for smaller purchases. Some sellers who normally ship UPS (ffordes or SH Photo) will make exceptions (*) if asked nicely, but some like KEH are contractually bound to UPS.

HOWEVER IF the hardware is shipped via the seller's postal service, no such fees apply and in the VAST majority of cases USPS/Canada Post don't bother to collect import duties or taxes. They only samples packages are are far more concerned, especially in the US, with nasty items and contraband than acting as IRS Agents. In the years I've sold my used gear into US buyers, none have ever been charged ANYTHING - IF it has been shipped via Postal Service. That's a pretty common story if you poll folks at various B&S forums.

I've bought and sold FAR too much gear over the years to/from all over the EU, Asia, SA and even The Soviet Union via their national postal systems (many of whom could teach USPS/CP a thing or two) with NO issues. In most cases the gear arrived as fast as it would have by UPS or FedEx for far less $$$, and was just as secure in that I had to go pick it up vs. risk some #$%^ dropping it on the front step.

In short - if you want a high-end item from overseas, it may be just as economical to go over and get it if you can't find away around using a courier.

(*) Unless you send with a lower declared value or uninsured (obviously at the buyer's request and sole risk), very spendy items will exceed the insurance limit (e.g for Royal Mail it's 500 Pounds, Canada Post C$1000) of most postal services.
    Last edited by robmac; 18th March 2009 at 09:03.

Post Thanks / Like

It certainly seems to be a better prospect for you guys in the USA and Canada to import cameras from the UK & EU. It seems the UK government is never happier than when they're fleecing their own!

Howard Cubell

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    recent shoot

Just saying :-).
    That photo, Doug, is of a model who has just passed out after being told how much money the photographer could have saved by going to Pro Centre in London and buying an H3D-39 rather than a P30+ from CI in Miami.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    Scott,

As Don Libby mentioned we have several pre-owned and refurbished units available. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know and I will gladly help you.

Chris Lawery (Email Me)
    Sales Manager
    Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
    National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.234.5195
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Post Thanks / Like

I have nothing but sympathy for our friends in UK and EU. Sold some high-end Leica lenses to folks in Norway and Denmark - damn near choked when I was told what VAT/duties were (IIRC 30% Norway).

Reminded me of a conversation I had with taxi driver in Copenhagen about Danes buying cars in Sweden and registering them there (IIRC the scam correctly) to avoid Danish taxes/duties.

Just don't give the CDN gov't any ideas - they'd tax the spit in your mouth given 1/2 chance.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Cubell View Post
    That photo, Doug, is of a model who has just passed out after being told how much money the photographer could have saved by going to Pro Centre in London and buying an H3D-39 rather than a P30+ from CI in Miami.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Given what is available in the states, I will most likely buy something here. I did bite the bullet and purchase the H2, 80mm, & a 210mm lens. I'll run some film through it before I jump off the deep end, but I'm also in no hurry and it still appears to be a buyers market

Research begins!
    Scott Watters
    Nikon | Hensel | Apple

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Given what is available in the states, I will most likely buy something here. I did bite the bullet and purchase the H2, 80mm, & a 210mm lens. I'll run some film through it before I jump off the deep end, but I'm also in no hurry and it still appears to be a buyers market

Research begins!
    One note on aesthetically matching your H2 if that matters at all to you.

If I recall correctly, the H mount Phase One backs are the color of your camera ... obviously, so are the CF and CFH backs from
    Hasselblad. (I'll be corrected immediately if wrong about this )

The H mount Phase One backs are NOT "at will" interchangeable with other MF cameras unless you pay $$$$ to have the mount changed. However, the Phase One H mount and the H2 camera has been a very popular and proven Pro set-up thus worthwhile investigating IMO. Lots of Phase representation on this forum for more info and pricing.

The CF and CF-II backs from Hasselblad are also a great solution because you can use it on most any MF camera made at will by using a system of iAdapters from Hasselblad, and you can use it on any tech camera with full mobility for location work.

The CFH model digital back from Hasselblad will not work on other MF cameras .... it will only work on a H1, H2 and H2F camera ... and most any tech/view camera when tethered to a computer ... with tech camera mobility on location with the Image Bank II to provide power to the back.

FYI, in the last communication from my Hasselblad USA dealer, a certified Pre-Owned CF-39 digital back with 6 month Hasselblad warranty was $13,495. A CFH/22 for a H1,H2, and H2F was $9,995. And the KING of the heap, a CF39 Multi-Shot was $19,495. Any authorized Hasselblad dealer can check to see what might still be in inventory.

Good luck with your new camera and your search for a digital back whatever one you select (they are ALL very good!)

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whoever thought that it would be worth going to the UK from the US to buy photo equipment?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

:-) Yes! I never would have thought that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What about the Leaf Valeo 22WI? Are they any good? The price is right now from Leaf America.
    I can live without the LCD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dolce Moda View Post
    What about the Leaf Valeo 22WI? Are they any good? The price is right now from Leaf America.
    I can live without the LCD
    If your intended use is in a studio (or location), tethered and with proper lighting then you will not find anything that gets near the V22 for speed and image quality, especially at that price.
    I should still have some files (fashion and other) that were shot with the Valeo. Contact me offline if you want to have a look

BR

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Finally was able to shoot a roll of film with the H2... I'm impressed!
    And yes, I know the bra is showing. This was from the first set of images I made with this gear. For a better look at Katie shot with the Nikon D3, look here.

Hasselblad H2, Hasselblad 210mm f/4
    Kodak Portra 160NC, f/7.1, 1/125
    EPSON V700 4800ppi 16bit ProPhoto RGB, EPSON Scan Software

For the pixel peepers, here's an 8MB, 28MP full size image
    Scott Watters
    Nikon | Hensel | Apple