The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF and Fly Fishing

dave.gt

Anyone here using MF into fly fishing?

It is that time of year, and I long to be on the water fishing but since time for that is scarce, I am contemplating a day trip and looking for someone who likes to fish with fly rod in hand and would like to be the motif in long exposure images.

Is that even possible? I like to think of it as a challenge in a workshop kind of way.:thumbup:

Knorp

Oh yes, please ! I'd like to volunteer, but only if you pay for the trip and stay and permits. Pretty please !

:chug:

Sorry, I got carried away for a moment ... :facesmack:

D&A

In my youth, I was taught how to fly fish, even though I barely had a clue how to do any sort of fishing. This was especially so, since where I grew up, fly fishing and running streams were not something one would easily experience. A polluted tiny lake with bottom feeding catfish surrounded by large storied apt housing, was about the total extent of my general fishing acumen at the time.

My childhood friend was so enamored with the sport of fly fishing, he got me into learning how to make/tie my own flies and I really became interested in that aspect of the sport. Its something that has always stayed with me and in adult hood went fly fishing few times. Somewhere stored at home, I still have my little aluminum box of flies that I made...all sorts of them. The activity of fly fishing makes for a great photographic subject, one I attempted to capture, of a fly fisherman I observed in the mountain streams in Calif. while on vacation

Anyhow as I was too young to fly fish and then celebrate with a beer. It had to be a candy bar, soda and some chips :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

dave.gt

Autumn is right around the corner. Dare I plan to to take the old SUV up in the mountains in the land of Deliverance (the movie), with fly rod and MF gear with the wheelchair for my bride? Yes! But with a few backup plans.

The mountains are calling as surely as my great grandparents from Scotland must have heard them. It seems the Campbell clan DNA continues in my immediate family. Fall colors and fishing are just part of the allure. Solace, serenity and, of course, a picnic or three with my bride.

If I come back with a single photograph, it will have been worth the dare. Now to plan for the excursion, however short it may be. This is the beginning of my favorite time of the year and the Great Smoky Mountains have always been a huge part of my life.

What an incredible time for the MF gear to get some exercise! :)

dave.gt

Ok, so here is the plan:

I will need your help in planning for this, but if it is even possible, I will be the motif. My bride will be the photographer using the H5D-50c with Wifi. She is in a wheelchair with left side deficits and numerous other sequelae. But with the remote capabilities of the Wifi, I think she can make exposures this way.

The plan is...she will make a normal exposure of the motif, to catch the fly rod action. Then, I will move out of the way and a long exposure will be made. I foresee two issues needing solutions:

1. The 80mm lens will be too limiting, I will need a wider perspective...
2. Multiple attempts to obtain workable files for overlay. This is a huge time and energy expense, but it is possible.:)

Anyone wanting to assist would be greatly appreciated!

dave.gt

Dave, exactly where are you going and when?
Hi, John,

The concept just hit me this morning during my usual quiet time to start the day. I am now wondering the same thing as I go about caring duties this morning. Since this is a photo location, not real fishing:), I can go pretty much anytime over the next couple of months. Location? I am very open as long as it is aesthetically pleasing and accessible. That could be anywhere almost.

Any ideas where are coveted!:thumbup: