The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firecrest filters on Phase one 40-80

rollei8is

I am looking for 105mm circular filters for the above lens.

How good are these FIRECREST filters compared to Heliopan and B&W?

Some of them 5.5mm and 10.5mm in thickness. Will I have vignetting problems at the wide angle end?

If you can get me an answer and any other suggestions, I will gladly accept them.

Thank you.

R-----

Paul2660

The 0.9 and 1.2 work fine, no vignetting. Only issue is they are thin and can be a bit hard handle, i.e. drop.

And finding them for in stock is even harder, I waited over 1 year for Hitech to deliver mine.

I have since moved to the Lee SW150 holder and the Lee Wide angle ring for the 105mm. The larger sheet filters are much easier to handle, i.e. picking up and taking off at least for me. And when you need to switch out a lot, the slide in style is just faster.

Paul Caldwell

hcubell

One caveat. I have a collection of the Firecrest filters kin the 100mm size. I would not buy them again. They scratch way too easily. There are a few other options available now that are both color neutral and apparently much more durable.

kdphotography

Don Libby is in your neck of the woods----and has the wide angle filter system you need. Two of them...

I just know. :loco:

:ROTFL:

Last edited:

Paul2660

No scactches so far for me but I am using the 150 x150.
Actually pretty solid as one survived a 4 foot drop on rock. Well mossy rock.

NISI also makes nice filters. They are slightly thinner and need a piece of gaffers tape or electrical tape at the edge to stay in the Lee holder. NISI holder is heavier and holds 3 filters. But well made also b

Paul Caldwell

JohnBrew

To answer the OP's question: I replaced most of my B+W filters with Formatt, the others with Breakthrough. I use the circular screw-in filters and have never had a scratch. As to Heliopan, I only have a CP, which is impressive btw, so really can't make a recommendation there.
That said, I will be going to the square holder type filters soon as I find keeping up with so many different sized filters to be a distraction. I have 58, 67, 77 and 82mm sizes and at least three filters for each size which could be reduced to just a holder and two or three slide-ins to take care of everything.
Hope this helps.