The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D Firmware 1.17.2: Resizeable AF points AND Electronic Shutter!

Paul2660

The rush to use 35mm lenses on the 50MP sensors is a bit interesting to me.

None of the Nikon 35mm lenese I have besides the 14-24 even were closely able to fill just the IC on the GFX, and the X1D will be the same. The wides are all too small, strange that the 14-24 (from 18mm and out was OK). The Telephoto lenses are also disappointing at least for me. From what I have seen on the Canon 24mm TS-E II, it's OK centered but even the best copies are not able to hold up to the full shift. Tilt is better.

The results that he is showing totally collaborate from the results from others who have also tried the 35mm glass on the 50MP sensor.

Use of other MF lenses is a totally different story.

Paul Caldwell

tcdeveau

None of the Nikon 35mm lenese I have besides the 14-24 even were closely able to fill just the IC on the GFX, and the X1D will be the same. The wides are all too small, strange that the 14-24 (from 18mm and out was OK). The Telephoto lenses are also disappointing at least for me. From what I have seen on the Canon 24mm TS-E II, it's OK centered but even the best copies are not able to hold up to the full shift. Tilt is better.

The results that he is showing totally collaborate from the results from others who have also tried the 35mm glass on the 50MP sensor.

Paul Caldwell
It should definitely at least make it clear to Fuji and Hasselblad that there's a market for native T/S options, faster lenses, and telephotos as those seem to be the 35mm format lenses that ppl are keen on adapting the most.

My X1D just went in the mail to get scroll wheels fixed. Looking forward to doing more shooting when I get it back.

pflower

Same with me. Less than 5 minutes after I sent an email I got a reply asking for a telephone number. Less than 5 minutes after I sent it I got a telephone call from support talking me through the problem. I tried various things - re-installing the new firmware from a card with only that firmware on it (when I originally updated the firmware the earlier 1.17.0 was also on the card which apparently could confuse the poor little thing), some improvement but then I reinstalled the earlier 1.17.0 firmware. The weird thing about that is that the focus points after the installation of the earlier firmware were the much smaller points introduced by 1.17.2 and not the larger points that I remember - same number though - 35. I got an email at 19.46 BST saying that they wanted to have a look and arranging a collection time. My problem is really minor - occassionally the front dial does not do as expected (i.e. doesn't change things as expected). 90% of the time it does work as expected. But I was told that Hasselblad were aware that some batches manufactured in about March had a problem with a component that connects to the dial and that this doesn't need to go back to Sweden to resolve.

All in all I would say that Hasselblad UK are on the ball.

Pursuant to the comments here (for which many thanks) I called Hassy UK this morning. They told me to raise a ticket online and when I did I got a call within seconds, literally, to arrange a pickup. The camera has now been collected (less than four hours after my first call!) and they think they can get it back to me fixed before my trip starting next weekend. That's pretty cool!

tjv

Good feedback. Perhaps I am in the minority with my opinion, and I guess only using the camera for a good length of time might change my mind.

I respectfully argue though that the addition of such a feature would not somehow take away from the purity of the body and shooting experience. I'm not interested in auto-everything – afterall, I'm someone who goes out of his way to use what many people would call antiquated and cumbersome tools, like the Linhof Techno and Hasselblad V with a Credo 60, simply because I love the tactile and simple shooting experience. But I think the X1d is a positioned as a different kind of tool. Beautifully tactile and simple in design, yes, but also claiming to be at the forefront of photo-electronic technology.

I think of my beloved old Mamiya 7ii. It might have had rangefinder focusing and shitty metering that I'd never trust when shooting E6, but I could focus and shoot that thing far quicker and intuitively than any Nikon I've ever used. Focus markings and depth of field scales on the lenses helped with that, as did the super clear optical viewfinder and high contrast RF patch. I guess for me – and it's simply only my idiosyncratic, personal opinion and might not match up with others – the EVF in both the X1d and GFX just isn't clear or high resolution enough for me to feel confident in finding focus and use as quickly when I need to. Maybe it also has something to do with the refresh rate? Perhaps I need to simply adjust my expectations and learn to love the focus magnification and focus peaking features that EVF allows, I guess the problem for me with that is that it interrupts my view of the bigger picture I'm searching for when doing it. Again, maybe practice and time is key and I'd get used to it.

Anyway, all of this is perhaps a moot point because despite all my (minor) reservations, I still want one! Problem is, I'm still paying the bank for my Credo! :facesmack:

I totally respect your desire to have the joystick and I agree that it would make choosing focus points faster. But I don't think it was a design oversight. Despite its portability and small size, the X1D was not designed to be a volume shooter or a "speed" of use camera. It's medium format, you are supposed to slow down when using the X1D. There is plenty of time to bring up the rear screen and tap a focus point Remember the H series camera's have a center focus point and that's it. HB looked at the multi points on the X1D as a big change. I'm sure some of the designers even considered staying with 1 focus point. This is not a DSLR and I hope it doesn't morph into one. I love the simplicity. It's kind of old school photography. Our increasing desire and even dependency to have technology take the photos for us, is getting a bit troubling to me. The camera can help you take great photos, but the photographer still should be the one making great photos.

tjv

I'm wondering if things might be different especially with regards to wides and TS lenses with the X1d becuase it doesn't have the protective cover glass so far out from the sensor. I can't see how Fuji's implimentation of this wouldn't impact on performance with lenses not designed to take the feature into account. Either way, it'll be good to see some comparitive tests when the adaptors eventually come out.

With regards to adaptors, I'm looking forward to Cambo making their EOS lens aperture control unit for the X1d mount (I'm assuming that is what they'll do!)

Paul Caldwell

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just an update: less than 70 hours after making the call to Hassy UK support, my X1D has been returned to me fixed. The control wheels work silkily and all seems good. Was also advised by them that the 'Card Too Slow' error was caused by some particular aspect of Lexar's architecture and so have used the 70 hours to acquire some big Sandisk cards. Will report back....

tjv

Man, I wish things were this easy in the antipodes! Most fixes take 2 months minimum because of lack of national service shops.

Just an update: less than 70 hours after making the call to Hassy UK support, my X1D has been returned to me fixed. The control wheels work silkily and all seems good. Was also advised by them that the 'Card Too Slow' error was caused by some particular aspect of Lexar's architecture and so have used the 70 hours to acquire some big Sandisk cards. Will report back....

CAMBOUSA

With regards to adaptors, I'm looking forward to Cambo making their EOS lens aperture control unit for the X1d mount (I'm assuming that is what they'll do!)
Happy Friday everyone. I just wanted to pop in the thread and update everyone as I said I would. Please be aware that the images I am about to share are for working prototype units, and some design changes/finish changes may occur before final release.

CA-XCD
CA-XCD_w.jpgCA-XCD01_s.jpgCA-XCD02_s.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpg

From Cambo:

Based on the knowledge used in our other Canon lens adapters, Cambo has now created an adapter to enable the use of Canon lenses on the Hasselblad-X1D camera.This adapter is mounted directly to the X1D camera bayonet and it controls the aperture of Canon lenses electronically, by similar controls as on the ACB-CA, WRE-CA and CA-GFX. Be aware that there is no further protocol to communicate with the X1D camera for setting aperture, auto focus or EXIF date from the lens.

It may be obvious that only Canon lenses that have a larger image circle, such as the T/S lenses, will have enough coverage for this sensor.

This combination makes it possible to use the Hasselblad X1D camera with a 17mm (and 24mm) focal length that covers the full format of the X1D 33x44mm sensor. Depending on the composition you may still be able to use the T/S movements on the lens unobstructed. More information will be released about compatibility with the newly announced Canon TS/E Lenses as they are available for testing, however at this time it can be assumed that the image circles will be of an acceptable size.

As there is no mechanical shutter in this setup, there are limitations in use with certain light sources, exposure times and subjects, we refer to the information from Hasselblad about this.

Actus-XCD
Actus-XCD-01_s.jpg

From Cambo:

As a further development of the ACTUS-G product line for medium format mirrorless cameras, Cambo is now introducing the ACTUS-XCD to host the Hasselblad X1D camera body.

The ACTUS-G system was already available as ACTUS-GFX for the Fujifilm GFX series, now the bayonet holder can be supplied with the XCD bayonet from Hasselblad. The bayonet holder is interchangeable and include Cambo's convenient internal rotation between landscape and portrait position.

These products are available for pre-order now from all authorized Cambo dealers, and should begin shipping later this month. Pricing will be the same as the Actus-GFX and CA-GFX counterparts.

At this time I haven't been made aware of any upgrade kits from existing Actus units, but I can assume that these will come in time.

Happy to answer any questions that you all may have.

sog1927

That's really impressive turnaround, Blake! I guess I have to go buy that X1D now ;-) Still waiting for the V-adapter, of course.