The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF Achromatic Digital Backs

Pemihan

The Colorado River and Lava Falls Rapid, 179.7 miles below Lee's Ferry, Grand Canyon, Arizona.
IQ260 Achromatic, Cambo WRS, 40HR.

The falls might look like small ripples in this image but let me assure you it's anything but. It is the most feared rapid in the canyon, if you don't hit it right it will flip your boat in an instant!

Here's a pic of me going through the falls earlier in the day and no we didn't flip.

Last edited:

Pemihan

The Colorado River 110 miles below Lee's Ferry, Grand Canyon, Arizona.
IQ260 Achromatic, Cambo WRS, HR40.

Pemihan

Basalt columns at the Colorado River just below Lava Falls 180 miles downstream from Lee's Ferry, Grand Canyon, Arizona.
IQ260 Achromatic, Cambo WRS, HR40, IR cut-off + Lee 23A light red.

Last edited:

Pemihan

Starlings dancing in the sky before settling down for the night, Ribe Marsh, Wadden Sea National Park, Denmark.
IQ3100 Achromatic, Mamiya 150mm, ISO 12800.

drevil

Staff member
one question to the achromatic users, how do the phase one achromatic backs handle highlights?

i do use a leica mm246 for a few months now, and while i love the camera over all, the blown out highlights can be a pita.

are the phase backs more forgiving in that matter?

algrove

one question to the achromatic users, how do the phase one achromatic backs handle highlights?

i do use a leica mm246 for a few months now, and while i love the camera over all, the blown out highlights can be a pita.

To me, foregiving is not what I would say and instead use the word flexible. On Phase backs blown out highlights would show up as purple (the default color if I recall) and OK highlights but close to blown highlights show up as red. It's a fine line, but it works.

As for the Leica I have shot with both the MM1 and MM2 (M246). I would use the highlight setting available and instead of 100% I would set it to 95% for example until I worked out my specific needs. After that you can dial it back out toward 100% if 95% is too conservative. I often used orange B+W 040M filters which perhaps helped me with blown out highlights.

kscott

I probably use the M Monochrom Typ 246 more than any of my other cameras. I love it to death, but feel your pain on the highlights. :) My studio cameras are Phase Ones. Per algrove, on the IQ3-100, highlights are more flexible. Definitely more wiggle room than the mm246 if you overexpose. The new IQ3-100 Achromatic is less flexible than it's older brother, in my experience so far. I've only had the Achromatic for a month and won't claim to have it fully tamed yet, but so far I'm exposing more or less like I would for the mm246.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
IQ3100 Achromatic article on Luminous Landscape for those with subscriptions.

https://luminous-landscape.com/using-phase-one-iq3-100-achromatic-digital-back/
Great article, especially the coverage of filters. :thumbup:

I shot with the IQ3100 Achro with my Actus DB over thanksgiving but unfortunately messed up on getting filters to fit my 40/70 bare Rodies that turned out to be different in filter size to Cambo mount Rodies. I’ll have to post some of them from Atlanta’s Old Car City graveyard although they ended up being shot full spectrum.

I was intrigued by the quote about focus using live view not matching the captured image. I didn’t experience that although I did stop down to f/11 & f/16 to avoid issues. Surely LV on the achromatic should be exactly the same image capture as the filtered lens view vs the problem of optical focus off mirror with a DSLR not matching the sensor view with IR etc.

tcdeveau

Great article, especially the coverage of filters. :thumbup:

I shot with the IQ3100 Achro with my Actus DB over thanksgiving but unfortunately messed up on getting filters to fit my 40/70 bare Rodies that turned out to be different in filter size to Cambo mount Rodies. I’ll have to post some of them from Atlanta’s Old Car City graveyard although they ended up being shot full spectrum.

I was intrigued by the quote about focus using live view not matching the captured image. I didn’t experience that although I did stop down to f/11 & f/16 to avoid issues. Surely LV on the achromatic should be exactly the same image capture as the filtered lens view vs the problem of optical focus off mirror with a DSLR not matching the sensor view with IR etc.
Im right there with you Graham. I think Dave at CI said something similar regarding focus with the IQ3 100 achro and live view. When I was shooting IR with my full-spectrum A7R and lens-mounted 720 and 830nm filters, focus was always spot on with live view because WYSIWYG. I’m not sure I see how the IQ3 100 achro would be any different....

Pemihan

Im right there with you Graham. I think Dave at CI said something similar regarding focus with the IQ3 100 achro and live view. When I was shooting IR with my full-spectrum A7R and lens-mounted 720 and 830nm filters, focus was always spot on with live view because WYSIWYG. I’m not sure I see how the IQ3 100 achro would be any different....
It isn't different, one just have to realize that if you focus on something with a high degree of IR reflection it will be sharp while something with a low degree will be more fuzzy eg. leaves vs. tree trunks. Different wavelengths, different focusing.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It isn't different, one just have to realize that if you focus on something with a high degree of IR reflection it will be sharp while something with a low degree will be more fuzzy eg. leaves vs. tree trunks. Different wavelengths, different focusing.
That makes perfect sense. WYSIWYG with a potential mix of focus points based on wavelengths. It was the whole offset discussion for IR on the lens that didn’t make sense with live view vs mirror/optical viewfinder.

My curiosity is now satisfied. :thumbs:

Last edited: