The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF Achromatic Digital Backs

Pemihan

Been playing a little with the 100 Achromatic and RZ67 Pro II D. To my eyes the combo produces some special files and the usable higher ISO's makes it much easier to handhold using available light.

This is shot with the 110mm at 1/90 - ISO 6400 in really low light so not real pin-sharp, but you should get the idea.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Its a great portrait Peter.

And pin sharp would detract from the character of the lens and setting ... IMO.

I love the older lenses ... just ordered a P67 105 F2.4 ... will be my second ... all
sorts of distortion but wonderful character.

I would love to work with the 100 Achromatic ... some day.

Bob

MILESF

It isn't different, one just have to realize that if you focus on something with a high degree of IR reflection it will be sharp while something with a low degree will be more fuzzy eg. leaves vs. tree trunks. Different wavelengths, different focusing.
Thanks for this. It explains exactly what I saw in some test images taken yesterday with the P1 Achromatic, 55mm lens and the B+W IR695 filter. Sharp throughout with the 486 filter and sharp in places and slightly soft in others with the 695 both in LV and in C1. That said, the images look wonderful though so far only test images so won't post just yet.

Last edited:

Pemihan

Its a great portrait Peter.

And pin sharp would detract from the character of the lens and setting ... IMO.

I love the older lenses ... just ordered a P67 105 F2.4 ... will be my second ... all
sorts of distortion but wonderful character.

I would love to work with the 100 Achromatic ... some day.

Bob
Thank you Bob, yes the older lenses often have a lot of character..

ndwgolf

Lots of really nice pictures on here but I personally find that I can get as nice a B&W image using a colour sensor.........

Neil

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yet you are planning a return to the MM M246?

Yes BW conversions are great ... but not at this level. Nor should they be ... Bayer filter ... limited sensitivity.

But much more convenient ... no external filters ...

However since you have the S ... the Achromatic would add a dimension you will not get with a H6100D

Just a thought.

Bob

ndwgolf

Yet you are planning a return to the MM M246?

Yes BW conversions are great ... but not at this level. Nor should they be ... Bayer filter ... limited sensitivity.

But much more convenient ... no external filters ...

However since you have the S ... the Achromatic would add a dimension you will not get with a H6100D

Just a thought.

Bob
Hi Bob happy new year
I think you missed the first part of my post on the LF.. The MM is for my Noctilux, thats it.

Neil

algrove

Hi Bob happy new year
I think you missed the first part of my post on the LF.. The MM is for my Noctilux, thats it.

Neil
You must try the APO 50/2.0 on an MM.

Also keep in mind you are looking at small srgb files at 72dpi. Thus they are nothing here compared to seeing them as taken.

med

Some wonderful images here! I would definitely love to try out an Achromatic back at some point. Is it necessary to use a filter 100% of the time when using one?

algrove

Some wonderful images here! I would definitely love to try out an Achromatic back at some point. Is it necessary to use a filter 100% of the time when using one?
No but it seems a 486 filter helps with contrast. It’s no different than having say a UV/Haze filter on any lens for protection and usefulness too.

There is an article about using Achromatic DBs over on LUKA if you happen to subscribe at $1/month

Pemihan

You can use an Achromatic without any filters but as it then captures all wavelengths you will end up with an image which is slightly soft in places. E.g. if you focus for the visible spectrum the IR spectrum will be out of focus and the other way around. For normal shooting I would leave a IR cut filter on the lenses.

Peter

Pemihan

A quiet moment on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon about 137 river miles below Lee's Ferry.
IQ260 Achromatic, Cambo WRS, HR40.