The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF Achromatic Digital Backs

stevenfr

Ed

Great images. The middle image has interesting trees with good structure on the right hand side of your image. Just curious did you shoot any images of them?

Steven

etrump

I worked them a bit but the light was not helpful.

Ed

Great images. The middle image has interesting trees with good structure on the right hand side of your image. Just curious did you shoot any images of them?

Steven

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Ed

Is this a FAGUS SYLVATICA , also called a dwarf beech (biological name) , also other names .
If so , where is it ? . There are many of these trees in France in a forest not far from REIMS and some rare exaples in Germany .

JohnBrew

Hi Ed, you seem to be in my part of SC. I like the shot of Sheldon, so difficult to shoot with all the shadows. The coast around Charleston has several iconic spots for the dead trees in surf: Bull Island, Botany Bay & Edisto Park. Unfortunately, the storm known as Irma really trashed and re-arranged them all. Went to Botany Bay last week and it wasn't too bad, but shot film only and haven't processed yet.
Regards, John

Added: also was at Angel Oak the other day, but they were doing tree maintenance precluding any shots.

Jotloob, the tree is a Live Oak and is supposedly the oldest tree east of the Mississippi River. Anywhere from 500 to 1200 years old, depending on who you ask!

Last edited:

etrump

Hello John, thanks for the pointers! I actually didn’t realize you were from here. I’m bad that way and should do better so please accept my apology.

I had to stretch my legs a bit and thought perhaps things would be a little early in Charleston gardens this year but not to be. I know it was wishful thinking but I snagged some great light at Folly Beach so the trip gave me something.

The Angel Oak seems to photograph better with more leaves on the nearby trees. The live oaks are pretty thin on leaves as well. I didn’t realize they dropped as many over the winterz

Hopefully I’ll have better timing next time.

I’m on Jekyll Island this morning starting a backroads drive back home. I have to go to a trade show in Orlando next week but after a non-productive fall and winter I was anxious to be out working again.

Ed

Hi Ed, you seem to be in my part of SC. I like the shot of Sheldon, so difficult to shoot with all the shadows. The coast around Charleston has several iconic spots for the dead trees in surf: Bull Island, Botany Bay & Edisto Park. Unfortunately, the storm known as Irma really trashed and re-arranged them all. Went to Botany Bay last week and it wasn't too bad, but shot film only and haven't processed yet.
Regards, John

Added: also was at Angel Oak the other day, but they were doing tree maintenance precluding any shots.

Jotloob, the tree is a Live Oak and is supposedly the oldest tree east of the Mississippi River. Anywhere from 500 to 1200 years old, depending on who you ask!

tcdeveau

Hi Ed,
If you're on Jekyll today, I'd recommend trying to get over to Driftwood beach if it's not already on your itinerary and if you have time. There's also a viewing platform at the visitors center at the entrance to the island that has an ok elevated view of the Marsh, and some nice shooting opportunities around the Sidney Lanier Bridge which is in between Jekyll and St. Simons
-Todd

Edit: actually it looks like you were already there based on your images above. That second tree looks like one I shot back in December.

Hello John, thanks for the pointers! I actually didn’t realize you were from here. I’m bad that way and should do better so please accept my apology.

I had to stretch my legs a bit and thought perhaps things would be a little early in Charleston gardens this year but not to be. I know it was wishful thinking but I snagged some great light at Folly Beach so the trip gave me something.

The Angel Oak seems to photograph better with more leaves on the nearby trees. The live oaks are pretty thin on leaves as well. I didn’t realize they dropped as many over the winterz

Hopefully I’ll have better timing next time.

I’m on Jekyll Island this morning starting a backroads drive back home. I have to go to a trade show in Orlando next week but after a non-productive fall and winter I was anxious to be out working again.

Ed

algrove

After roaming around the Alabama Hills during the 10-4 time period I found this B&W opportunity. STC/S-K150/IQ3100 Achromatic

It took some time for the clouds to get into this position, but the wait was worth it.

Looking through the whole thread, I get the impression that these backs have their own characteristic tonal range - rather contrasty without much tonal modulation in the midrange, especially what we used to call Zones VI-VII. With the notable exception of Peter’s portrait, with its nice Zone V-VI skin tones, many of the images register good blacks and highlights, but not very subtle tonal transitions. Between the impressive blacks and highs, comparatively little ‘midrange glow.’

The comparison in my mind’s eye is between the posts here, and files and posts from Monochrom and from converted MF BW - and lingering memories of analog BW.

Is my observation correct, or do you folks with Achromatic backs just happen to have similar post-processing styles?

Kirk

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Looking through the whole thread, I get the impression that these backs have their own characteristic tonal range - rather contrasty without much tonal modulation in the midrange, especially what we used to call Zones VI-VII. With the notable exception of Peter’s portrait, with its nice Zone V-VI skin tones, many of the images register good blacks and highlights, but not very subtle tonal transitions. Between the impressive blacks and highs, comparatively little ‘midrange glow.’

The comparison in my mind’s eye is between the posts here, and files and posts from Monochrom and from converted MF BW - and lingering memories of analog BW.

Is my observation correct, or do you folks with Achromatic backs just happen to have similar post-processing styles?

Kirk
It is quite possible that the human portrait forced more realistic tonal range? I also wondered about the strikingly similar contrasty images.

Pemihan

Kirk
In my opinion the Achromatic backs has the ability to capture the entire tonal range, but one can have a tendency to focus on the highlights and the blacks. Also the small web versions really doesn't represent the full files very well.

DrPaul

This was taken at the Morikami Gardens in Delray Beach, Fl. I also posted this in the Regular Member Gallery which was my first post.
P1 XF-IO3100, Achromatic, 715nm20180117_morikami_stack_0007.jpg

Boinger

Someone should try to make a color image with a achromatic back.

If you just used 3 different color filters.

Would it be similar to foveon I would think so?