The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF Achromatic Digital Backs

algrove

IQ3100 Achromatic /SK150/486+red filters-maybe overkill?

Major rain today, sometimes sideways. Processed best with SEFEX Pro versus C1.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, I’d forgotten how challenging focusing the achromatic can be with LV on a tech camera. Any hints?

The low contrast makes it a challenge I found, but I love the resulting files that can be stretched so far to add contrast in post.

algrove

Btw, I’d forgotten how challenging focusing the achromatic can be with LV on a tech camera. Any hints?

The low contrast makes it a challenge I found, but I love the resulting files that can be stretched so far to add contrast in post.
Graham

What filters did you have on the lens when focusing? I have found that the 486, orange or red filters make focusing faster and easier for my eye. But then again I have all the IR filters for each lens even though they are not used that much these days probably because I just prefer capturing "normal" B&W most of the time.

GrahamWelland

I used red 690nm and dark red 790nm. So mixed. I didn’t have a 486 IR cut on so it was slightly IR bleed through vs pure IR or 486 only visible.

V

Vivek

No one is supplying an EVF to go with these backs?! They are very useful precisely in situations like this.

Pemihan

I use these IR UV cut filters for normal B&W and don't have any issues focusing in LV except it can be difficult in very low light. IR can be tricky, but generally I don't have a lot of issues again except in low light.
https://www.formatt-hitech.com/filters/firecrest-uv-ir-cut

What I generally do is focus on the foreground and then shift LV to the background and adjust focus so the BG is in focus and then shift back to foreground and adjust so both foreground and background is acceptable. I guess I'm sort of finding the hyperfocal point. At least it works for me, YMMV.

Of course focusing in full spectrum can be tricky. If you focus on things with a high degree of IR radiation e.g. leaves , then things with a low degree of IR radiation e.g. tree trunks will be fuzzy and of course the same is the case the other way around.

Peter

Last edited:

etrump

I am assuming you are talking about IR. It woul help if the live view could allow you to adjust it’s exposure or contrast.

algrove

I know many of us do not rely on the focus tool which on mine shows those areas in focus in bright green when enough contrast can activate it. However it sometimes gives me an idea where I am OK, but foreground focus and infinity or farthist point focus and then back and forth with tilt is what works for me.:grin:

Is that what they mean when they say tech cams slow you down for better or worse?

GrahamWelland

I am assuming you are talking about IR. It woul help if the live view could allow you to adjust it’s exposure or contrast.
Actually a mix of visible and some extension into IR. Basically, being able to add more contrast to a scene in live view would help. I was shooting very foliage rich scenes so contrast was subtle at best. Also, it didn’t help that the loaner back wouldn’t connect via WiFi to Capture Pilot on my phone / iPad to help. (My own IQ3100 works perfectly - the loaner not so much).

As is normal with my technical camera, I resorted to focus, shoot, focus review. Rinse and repeat.

vjbelle

Think it through Graham..... I have no skin in this game and it's extremely unlikely I would ever be a candidate for the Achro but for whatever bargain you can work out it's still going to be a fair amount of money so it should all meet and work to your expectations.

Victor

tcdeveau

I would support that GFX conversion.
About that....

I just heard from Daniel at Monochrome Imaging who said at this time he can't convert that sensor (the IMX161 in the GFX/X1D), and that he doesn't see that changing any time in the near future. Bummer.

I suggested to Ming Thein via facebook that HB offer an achromatic back, and his response was "shoot color, convert in post, utilize flexibility of channel mixers" (although when asked he did state that there are advantages of sensors without the RGB filter).

Looks like P1 is the way to go for achromatic/monochrome at the sensor level for now, unless there are others that could do the conversion.

At least IQ2/IQ3 CPO prices have come down with the IQ4 launch.

Anyway, lets see some more Achromatic DB images :cool:

kdphotography

Kolari Vision used to list the GFX 50S as a IR/Full spectrum conversion selection----I don't see it on their site anymore. LifePixel and Spencer's both have the Fuji GFX as IR/FS candidates.

kdphotography

Dunno, Todd. You first. :ROTFL:

I actually wouldn't mind sending in my GFX 50 for conversion----once the new Fuji is released. I'd rather have a Phase One Achromatic....

tcdeveau

Dunno, Todd. You first. :ROTFL:

I actually wouldn't mind sending in my GFX 50 for conversion----once the new Fuji is released. I'd rather have a Phase One Achromatic....
:ROTFL: I like this game of chicken

I'm also in the "I'd rather have a P1 Achromatic" club. After all, this is the inferno, and the GFX won't play with the currently back-less Alpa STC/70 HR I have sitting in my drybox :p

I won't know if I have any budget for new gear in 2018/2019 for another couple months, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying the images here. And if either you or pesto convert your GFX in the meantime I'll happily drool over those images too haha.