The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash gun recommendation for Fuji GFX 50S?

Mark C

I'm looking for a decent flashgun to work with my Fuji GFX. Not a full studio lights and reflectors set up, just a single good quality unit capable of being packed in my camera bag for when I travel overseas in the near future. Probably just to mount onto the camera for indoor portraits etc.
Now I know that Fuji have the EF-X500 flash which they say is compatible with the GFX 50S but is that the best solution? I haven't been able to find anyone who's used the combination or even anything online showing the two tested together. Has anyone on here used the two together and could offer their thoughts?
I'm not tied to buying Fuji, indeed I had been hoping to use my Canon speedlite 430 EXII but unfortunately it wont communicate with the GFX. So, as a possible alternative to buying the EF-X500, I would consider a 3rd party unit, especially if anyone could recommend one they've succesfully used with the GFX?

Mark C

Forgive me for bumping this, just in case anyone who hadn't read it could offer their thoughts. I'm not surprised no one's replied, based on what I've read, there doesn't seem to be an obvious answer. Fuji's own EF-X500 would seem the default choice but it's been panned by a lot of reviewers and certainly isn't making me want to rush out and buy one.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I just also picked up the Nissin Air-1 and Di700a for Fuji that works well too. I had a bunch of Di700a flashes with my Sony and this commander will also drive those flashes. The latest Fuji kit supports HSS too.

If you just want the flash, the Fuji version of the Di700a works standalone although I can't remember the last time I ever shot flash off the camera other than just bounce I suppose.

Last edited:

Mark C

I just also picked up the Nissin Air-1 and Di700a for Fuji that works well too. I had a bunch of Di700a flashes with my Sony and this commander will also drive those flashes. The latest Fuji kit supports HSS too.

If you just want the flash, the Fuji version of the Di700a works standalone although I can't remember the last time I ever shot flash off the camera other than just bounce I suppose.
Thanks, the Nissin is on my list to look at, just seems a question over firmware support to enable HSS, I'll look into it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I bought mine from B&H and it came with the current firmware that supports HSS. The box even had a sticker on it to state it (it was important to me too which was why I bought through B&H vs anonymous Amazon resellers etc).

If you want to go beyond speedlights, then the Flashpoint/Godox system looks arguably more flexible.

kdphotography

It's overkill for what you're asking here, but good to take note that Profoto will be releasing a new Protofo Air Sync TTL/HSS transmitter for Fuji, which opens up access to the Profoto B1 and B2.

Ken

StevenGray

I don't think a third unit is worth the money. Sometimes I even think that when it comes to weapons, you must be careful with the ones you use, and if you feel like they are not good enough or are disappointing you, you must change them. You must think about the comfort of your hunt because if it is not perfect, I won't get any pleasure out of it. I understood it after I was hunting with bad weapons all my life, and then I decided to start buying from https://ballachy.com/best-ir-illuminator-for-night-vision-scope/. They are definitely worth the money.

Last edited:

tcrock

I’d recommend the Godox V1. It has ample power and great battery life. It works well on the GFX both on and off camera with the Xpro Fuji trigger.
Add a Godox AD200 or two and you’ve got a very compact, portable wireless flash system. I use this setup regularly for my interiors work with a GFX 50s.

Tim