The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GPS on X1D working?

Does your GPS module give coordinates in EXIF? Mine did occasionally up to early July. Not so anymore.
I guess I updated X1D to firmware 1.17.0 then geting great stability otherwise. Now running firmware 1.17.2, thanks for those extra features. But no GPS.
Could it be the firmware or are the occasional glitches now permanent?
I still can see the icon for GPS flashing, not locking to the satellites.
My iPhone finds them regularly under the same circumstances.

My GPS unit has been unusable with any FW, so far. Only occasionally it was able to establish a connection with the satellites which was afterward easily lost. Waiting for a fix it is back in its box.

I live not that far from Göteborg where the X1D sometimes is tested, I imagine, and thus should similarly see satellites. Although the symbol for GPS stops flashing still nothing is recorded in EXIF. The Auto off is at 30 minutes. FW v1.17.2. This during several days.
So not as "lucky" as Joe.
Small problem but irritating.

msadat

its not that good a unit (gps), in my house it never locks, on the other hand, the pentax k1 unit works all the time.

The major problem (FW 1.17.3) seems not to be with the X1D but with Lightroom CC. Phocus reads the GPS coordinates from X1D (and presents them in Google Maps with Command + alt +m) but LR does not. Leica SL GPS has the same problem and solution: Phocus.

Last edited:
The major problem (FW 1.17.3) seems not to be with the X1D but with Lightroom CC. Phocus reads the GPS coordinates from X1D (and presents them in Google Maps with Command + alt +m) but LR does not. Leica SL GPS has the same problem and solution: Phocus.
Solution found.
I was at fault in Lightroom. My import preset did blank out the GPS coordinates. Changed that.
Problem solved.