The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF for Everyday Shooting?

MILESF

I have several smaller and much lighter cameras, but the extraordinary image quality of the IQ3 100 keeps me coming back despite the weight. It's so addictive that I find it difficult to settle for less.
Spot on. Do I really need 100mp? No. Would I like something lighter ? Yes. Does any other camera give me the same pleasure as my XF/IQ3-100 ? No.

I bought into P1 in 2009 and have never for a moment regretted it. It's as simple and as complicated as that.

jdphoto

I think final print size should be factored in this question. I've shot many MFD cameras handheld, but you're limited to ambient light and speed of lenses. For me, I have a Think Tank bag that I would hike with. I still took time to off load gear and get it ready to shoot, so spontaneous shots are harder to get sometimes. My print sizes are up to 17x20 and for me, the Fuji Xt2 is my tool of choice. It fits in a sling bag and is ready to shoot in seconds without having to take the bag off. I would imagine the GFX would be similar. I've considered this camera simply for its ability to shoot in inclement weather. I've had the Xt2/16mm 1.4 completely soaked and its been amazing! I'd rent the Fuji GFX first and then decide, but consider your final output size because I think that will determine what's best for you.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Spot on. Do I really need 100mp? No. Would I like something lighter ? Yes. Does any other camera give me the same pleasure as my XF/IQ3-100 ? No.

I bought into P1 in 2009 and have never for a moment regretted it. It's as simple and as complicated as that.
Absolutely agree with you Miles. However, for travel I've fallen for the versatility of my GFX system which definitely isn't the same ultimate quality as my XF/IQ3100 but it does make it into my bag for business travel more often than not which isn't something I can honestly say about my IQ3100 system alas. The XF or Actus DB+ with IQ3100 only come with me on dedicated photo trips which I would say is a travesty the more that I think about it.

The GFX definitely is a hand holdable system. I've lugged an XF around Cuba shooting in the street and it's definitely doable and the IQ3100 & IQx50 sensors have the ISO leeway to make it practical at 2x 1/focal length shutter speeds. I actually like the girth of the XF but if you're carrying more than a couple of lenses then it's a bind. By comparison the GFX has the heft that I prefer compared to mirrorless/35mm systems and the quality to go with it. Handheld shooting is a breeze if you let ISO auto select.

Ultimately though when it comes to shooting MF I almost always resort to that three legged friend. I'll compose without it but if the shot matters then the sticks come out and I'll shoot via cable release or electronic shutter.

MILESF

Absolutely agree with you Miles. However, for travel I've fallen for the versatility of my GFX system which definitely isn't the same ultimate quality as my XF/IQ3100 but it does make it into my bag for business travel more often than not which isn't something I can honestly say about my IQ3100 system alas.
Graham, I hear you and perhaps I need to take a look at the Fuji. OTOH, I have lost count of the number of cameras I have owned over the years so am trying to be more prudent.

The XF went with me to Japan in March 35/55/80/120M/ and 150mm lenses with the Rx1R MkII where I walked over 50 miles in ten days. It wasn't hiking up mountains but was doable. It goes on board as carry-on in an f-stop ICU with the ruck sack going in the hold. Fortunately I no longer need to travel for business which saves a lot of weight. Any camera of mine also has to be supported by C1 too. After quite a lot of thought I'm swapping out my Fuji XT-2 for the A7R II and it's going to be XF/Rm3Di/A7r II/RX1 MkII. It could easily have been the GFX and may yet be if the Sony disappoints though first signs are very positive.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The lack of official support of the Fuji GFX is a complete pain. It took some soul searching and testing of the work around before I jumped on board. It’s doable in C1 but if I’m honest ACR does a better job (unsurprisingly) with GFX raw files.

dave.gt

Ha! It occurs to me that I am in the minority... but that is normal for me.:)

There is a thread on backup cameras. There is a lot of discussion on gear selection. There is a lot that I have learned from reading in this forum!:)

In my case, I am completely MF because I find the H5 to be perfect for what we do in our mobile studio. I am also bonding with it for everyday casual shooting as well. But digital is not the only way I roll... my 503cxi is the only camera I personally own and use these days. It fills the void where I need a backup, and, where I want a different look. Hybrid shooting has always been what I prefer.

I don't think I would be shooting for fun much at all these days if I could not enjoy film as well. I am pretty much set for our humble five-year plan...Sure, I wish I could afford a lens or two... but both cameras fit my casual style and are suited to what I do these days.

The only thing I really need is the F-stop backpack and the large ICU. I use the Billingham Pro when carrying only one camera at a time. I wish my piggy bank/slush fund would fill a little quicker though!
:):):)

Next up is inventing a cross-terrain wheelchair with a tripod carrier and bag rack! That would be a dream!

dave.gt

The H series is a compromise hand held for spontaneous shooting between hitting the "moment" and the length of lag for the shutter delay (which makes such a difference for me anyway). I was much taken by Ming's cross hand hold used in the Thaipusam festival video which I have been experimenting with and find it does aid stability compared to my conventional hold carried over from the V series being hand under the body style. Still doesn't overcome lugging the thing around between frames, that depends on the shoot: lots going on = no problem, long waits between opportunities = the gear starts to make it's weight known. The X-1D is another way of eliminating that mirror of course and weight wise no comparison but for this dinosaur it's still got to be optical, I always love the gasp from 35mm shooters when I let them look through the 'blad finder :eek:
Chris, I agree, the Ming-style of shooting with the H cameras works quite well!

If I win the lottery, maybe I will get an X1D.... but I am a realist, that is why I shoot what I have which is limiting but doable (is that a word?). I really don't mind the weight of the H system. It fits my way of doing things and I love the modularity of the whole system.

I do think the high resolution for certain occasions is not ideal, at least, that is what I have found with the older generation worried about wrinkles, double chins and less than perfect skin. Is there a software program that can handle that?

My days of Nikon digital are behind me now. Sigh... It was great fun all those years and now I have moved on, who would have figured that would happen?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

"I do think the high resolution for certain occasions is not ideal, at least, that is what I have found with the older generation worried about wrinkles, double chins and less than perfect skin. Is there a software program that can handle that?"

I'm not much of a portrait photographer but I do find that negative Clarity in C1 does wonders with less-than-perfect skin!
Bill