The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF for Everyday Shooting?

dave.gt

Just curious.

I am finding the use of a tripod is addicting for sharp, sharp images. I am also finding a tripod is, at times, limiting.

So, I have been working on my freestyle shooting without a tripod after seeing one of the latest videos by Ming Thein shooting handheld in a cave, of all places! I particularly like his results.

Thaipusam 2017:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.mingthein.com/2017/03/25/fortitude-resolved/amp/

Ming Thein | Thaipusam revisited with H6D-100c - Our World - Hasselblad

How many on the forum here actually use their MF in a freestyle manner as an everyday camera? I have had great results so far on the street, shooting portraits while at a sidewalk cafe. In a week or so, I will be shooting casual portraits of everyday life in an outdoor environment that will be part of a lifestyle presentation for one of our clients. Yes, i will also be shooting with the tripod as well, but the dogs... I think I will try freestyle!:)

M

mjr

Go for it Dave! I have used all my MF cameras handheld, I use the GFX about 50% handheld but love using a tripod so do when I can. The XF was a bit of a beast for long uses and even though I consider myself in decent shape, I'd get aching arms after a while. As with all these things, a bit of practice and you'll be fine.

Mat

dave.gt

Mat,

Thank you for the response. My only question involves techniques to overcome limitations inherent in shooting with a high resolution camera, in all kinds of environmental conditions.

The lack of other responses has me wondering just how many people use a 50-100mp camera for casual shooting, handheld.

So far, I am very happy with my results for images up to 9x12. I am exploring the envelope of acceptable results and am wondering how others are shooting.

On camera flash? Is anyone actually using the on-camera flash on their cameras? If so, I would appreciate comments on how to effectively use it!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

:):):)

Geoff

Less so these days. With film and a Rollei 6003, handheld was possible. But over time, the shift to digital required more stability and also came with more weight.

You can use a monopod, down to about 1/40 sec, with pretty good results - MLU, take a few shots just in case. Usually 1 in 3 is sharp for sure.

Have been moving more to tripod - less shots, more thoughtful, but miss the casual approach. Perhaps the work is more thoughtful or it may be losing spontaneity. And of course, with a 60mp back, longer lenses don't work so well. Also base ISO is addicting, as shadow recovery is just so amazing. One could do a series of ISO400 shots, handheld and see where that goes....

Film shot hand held, some 25 yrs ago with 6003.
interior, lamp1 sml.jpg

Paul2660

GFX is liberating, easy to hand hold. I would say 80% of my work with it is off tripod unless I am working in water. XF, for me is 100% tripod. I tried hand holding it with the 55 or 80mm LS glass, and yes it's possible. But I often shoot pano across a frame and odds were that at least 1 frame would show some blur due to movement. The XF and the mirror slap is still an issue. You really can't use it in a mirror up mode for panos, as you will lose your line, (at least I do), need that constant visual cue. Plus hand holding 100MP is a challenge, period. It will be interesting to see how well the follow on GFX and X1D cameras do with the 100MP cropped sensor next year.

Even the 120mm on the GFX with OIS is easy to hand hold. I will sometimes run into an issue with hand held bracketing with the GFX with the 120mm.

In Yosemite this Spring, I had both the XF/P1 and GFX, after the 2nd day, I realized that the GFX was going to be the camera I carried on the trails. Having to get out the tripod each time and setup the shot with the XF and factoring the crowds and the fact that often you only get a few seconds to get a clear shot the GFX was a godsend. My only issue was I did run into several shots where I over looked DOF issues with the 120mm and thus foreground objects were framed but out of focus. Totally my fault.

Where as over on the East side of the Sierras I believe I shot the GFX 1 time. Here I was working from my car, had plenty of time, no crowds and the XF/P1 was perfect. It's still one amazing camera and the image quality exceeds anything else at least for me.

GFX for me is a bit edgy on highlights, much like the Pentax K1 is. Unlike the P1 versions of that 50MP chip or the 100MP.

Paul Caldwell

fiver

The H4D-31 is very good for handheld, pin-sharp images at 30th sec, something I could'nt get with my canons. the extra weight made it stable to hold.

When I had the Leica S, I had serious problems to get similar results handhold as compared to tripod use: the PD-AF did not focus always as I wanted it to do and the vibrations caused by mirror slap and FPS required really, really short exposure times.

This has changed substantially since I use the Hasselblad X1D system. Absence of mirror shake and the leaf shutter both make a hell of a difference. I get excellent results with exposure times I never dreamed of. Also the AF is much more precise and reliable. The X1D is no speed monster but I consider it a really reliable, light-weight walk-around MF-camera.

ChrisLivsey

The H series is a compromise hand held for spontaneous shooting between hitting the "moment" and the length of lag for the shutter delay (which makes such a difference for me anyway). I was much taken by Ming's cross hand hold used in the Thaipusam festival video which I have been experimenting with and find it does aid stability compared to my conventional hold carried over from the V series being hand under the body style. Still doesn't overcome lugging the thing around between frames, that depends on the shoot: lots going on = no problem, long waits between opportunities = the gear starts to make it's weight known. The X-1D is another way of eliminating that mirror of course and weight wise no comparison but for this dinosaur it's still got to be optical, I always love the gasp from 35mm shooters when I let them look through the 'blad finder :eek:

The X-1D is another way of eliminating that mirror of course and weight wise no comparison but for this dinosaur it's still got to be optical, I always love the gasp from 35mm shooters when I let them look through the 'blad finder :eek:
Ohh, yes, I miss the viewfinder of my now gone Leica S, this is a pinnacle of engineering. But, life is an endless chain of compromises, and at the end of the day I prefer to precise control of focus which only the EVF gives me, at least handhold.

I can imagine that shooting with a 'Blad or Phase One that weigh a figurative ton compared to most regular cameras would take some dedication to use hand-held in natural light, and a shutter speed of at least 3x your focal length.

My 645Z I use pretty much use only hand-held outside the studio, although I do drag out the tripod sometimes for night time or when I know I'll need it. I'm thinking of getting a monopod as a compromise, since it's still tough getting that last bit of sharpness, even with the 55mm. Monopods aren't talked about all that much, so I'm still researching the best option for me.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I can imagine that shooting with a 'Blad or Phase One that weigh a figurative ton compared to most regular cameras would take some dedication to use hand-held in natural light, and a shutter speed of at least 3x your focal length.

My 645Z I use pretty much use only hand-held outside the studio, although I do drag out the tripod sometimes for night time or when I know I'll need it. I'm thinking of getting a monopod as a compromise, since it's still tough getting that last bit of sharpness, even with the 55mm. Monopods aren't talked about all that much, so I'm still researching the best option for me.
About 2x is fine if you want pixel-perfect sharpness, at least in my experience (everyone's hands and shooting stance are a different level of shaky). Notably you can shoot at 1x or even 0.5x and get a sharp 8x10 print.

Just because you have a car that goes 150mph doesn't mean you need to drive it 150mph on every road, in all weather, and around every turn. It's just nice that you can go 150mph when the sky is clear and the road is straight.

I really enjoy shooting the CMOS based Phase One XF systems for more casual everyday shooting. It's much larger than the Fuji X Pro 1 that I also use for this purpose, so I only take it on some such trips/occasions where a larger camera is practical but the color and look is worth it when I can.

Of course I'm biased.

erlingmm

Mat,

Thank you for the response. My only question involves techniques to overcome limitations inherent in shooting with a high resolution camera, in all kinds of environmental conditions.

The lack of other responses has me wondering just how many people use a 50-100mp camera for casual shooting, handheld.

So far, I am very happy with my results for images up to 9x12. I am exploring the envelope of acceptable results and am wondering how others are shooting.

On camera flash? Is anyone actually using the on-camera flash on their cameras? If so, I would appreciate comments on how to effectively use it!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

:):):)
I do, with the Leica S007, an extremely versatile MF camera.

Shashin

I have shot MFD handheld. I have not found it that difficult, but then I have shot MF cameras handheld longer than I have on a tripod. Practice does help.

Mark C

Dave,

whilst I have a couple of good tripods, unless I'm going after something that really needs one (I'm mainly thinking long exposures here) then nearly all my work is hand held with the GFX. The 63mm lens is really light and I can walk around with that and the camera doesn't get a second glance from most people. The same will be true of the 45mm when that's out in a few weeks and I'm really looking forward to having one of those.

M

mjr

The GFX is indeed amazing for handheld work, I shoot with the 110 just as much as with the 63 and have had very few issues with image quality.

As mentioned above, the Leica S was a brilliant hand-holdable camera, I used the 006 and 007 models everywhere and only used a tripod in specific circumstances, I jumped in and out of armoured vehicles and helicopters in Mali with the S and it was perfect for that sort of thing.

I haven't hesitated to use any of my MF cameras handheld, practice can really help you nail the technique and I have found especially with the GFX that you can just underexpose a lot to gain a decent shutter speed and still have amazing results. The XF is heavy, no doubt about that but it's definitely doable.

Mat

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I do a lot of hand-held shooting with my XF. Often wildlife won't wait for a tripod! Or sometimes the light is simply changing too fast.

The XF's weight is taxing but it does have the advantage that that same mass absorbs a lot of shake. The clincher, though, is that I can use high ISOs with very little deterioration in image quality, so fast shutter speeds are very usable. I find 1/500 with the 80 or 150 mm lenses and ISO 400 gives me images as good as tripod-based ones. (I have done comparisons!)

I have several smaller and much lighter cameras, but the extraordinary image quality of the IQ3 100 keeps me coming back despite the weight. It's so addictive that I find it difficult to settle for less.

DB5

Nothing to fear except fear itself.

I think an RZ makes a great walk around camera for the sort of pictures it takes.

The problem stems from the fact that some camera companies have nothing left to sell us so they tell us we need all these tiny cameras.

It's rubbish. Don't fall for it. :p ;)

Find what you like and what suits you and work out how to bring it in your life. Just do it and see.

dave.gt

Interesting... that turns out to be exactly what I have been doing the last six months. In my bag, I always have my Leica X1 for those times I need a quick snap or just don't want to carry much. It is lost in my Billingham, being so small and I forget it is in there even though I have shot that wonderful camera for the last five years.

However, I can't remember the last time I used it because I carry the H5 with me in the Billingham... oh, now I remember, I used it in tandem with my 503cxi, it worked great as a light meter/Polaroid device. Sadly, I haven't used it in a very long time.

I think my technique is getting better with MF handheld, as long as I remember to be careful with shutter speeds and ISO settings.

I really do like the BIG form of MF cameras in general! Go big or stay home...might be my line for a very long time!

Last edited:
My Leica S006 is more or less my everyday camera. It´s relatively compact in size (for a MF), and its rugged and weatherproof. It´s not a blistering fast camera, but it slows me down so I can concentrate more on compositions and storytelling. With the 70mm Summarit (no CS) the weight is acceptable for carrying for some hours. 25mm or 120mm is bigger and heavier. When the shutter speed is longer than 1/180s I go for higher ISO or my tripod.

dave.gt

My Leica S006 is more or less my everyday camera. It´s relatively compact in size (for a MF), and its rugged and weatherproof. It´s not a blistering fast camera, but it slows me down so I can concentrate more on compositions and storytelling. With the 70mm Summarit (no CS) the weight is acceptable for carrying for some hours. 25mm or 120mm is bigger and heavier. When the shutter speed is longer than 1/180s I go for higher ISO or my tripod.
The Leica S006 and later models have always been on my wish list! I am delighted to see these cameras in use outdoors as well as being used without a tripod.