The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo CA-XCD and Actus-XCD

CAMBOUSA

Hello everyone,

I figured I would start a new thread here so as not to cloud up the Firmware announcement thread. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Please be aware that the images I am about to share are for working prototype units, and some design changes/finish changes may occur before final release.

CA-XCD

https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-mini/cambo-actus-xcd-view-camera/ca-xcd/

CA-XCD02_s.jpgCA-XCD01_s.jpgCA-XCD_w.jpg

From Cambo:

Based on the knowledge used in our other Canon lens adapters, Cambo has now created an adapter to enable the use of Canon lenses on the Hasselblad-X1D camera.This adapter is mounted directly to the X1D camera bayonet and it controls the aperture of Canon lenses electronically, by similar controls as on the ACB-CA, WRE-CA and CA-GFX. Be aware that there is no further protocol to communicate with the X1D camera for setting aperture, auto focus or EXIF date from the lens.

It may be obvious that only Canon lenses that have a larger image circle, such as the T/S lenses, will have enough coverage for this sensor.

This combination makes it possible to use the Hasselblad X1D camera with a 17mm (and 24mm) focal length that covers the full format of the X1D 33x44mm sensor. Depending on the composition you may still be able to use the T/S movements on the lens unobstructed. More information will be released about compatibility with the newly announced Canon TS/E Lenses as they are available for testing, however at this time it can be assumed that the image circles will be of an acceptable size.

As there is no mechanical shutter in this setup, there are limitations in use with certain light sources, exposure times and subjects, we refer to the information from Hasselblad about this.

Actus-XCD

https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-mini/cambo-actus-xcd-view-camera/

21191902_1592994324096408_4213259498532122097_n.jpg
From Cambo:

As a further development of the ACTUS-G product line for medium format mirrorless cameras, Cambo is now introducing the ACTUS-XCD to host the Hasselblad X1D camera body.

The ACTUS-G system was already available as ACTUS-GFX for the Fujifilm GFX series, now the bayonet holder can be supplied with the XCD bayonet from Hasselblad. The bayonet holder is interchangeable and include Cambo's convenient internal rotation between landscape and portrait position.

These products are available for pre-order now from all authorized Cambo dealers, and should begin shipping later this month. Pricing will be the same as the Actus-GFX and CA-GFX counterparts.

At this time I haven't been made aware of any upgrade kits from existing Actus units, but I can assume that these will come in time.

Last edited:

marc aurel

Thanks. Great to see that Cambo extends the options.
But what I am really curious about: what lens is that in the last image? A Contax 645 35mm converted for use on an actus? I have no other idea what that could be.

CAMBOUSA

Thanks. Great to see that Cambo extends the options.
But what I am really curious about: what lens is that in the last image? A Contax 645 35mm converted for use on an actus? I have no other idea what that could be.
Marc,

Good eyes. I don't think that is ready to be talked about publicly yet, so I have removed that image. Feel free to PM me and I can give you a few more details. Spoiler alert, I don't have much.

Alan

Good eyes. I don't think that is ready to be talked about publicly yet, so I have removed that image. Feel free to PM me and I can give you a few more details. Spoiler alert, I don't have much.
Not to continue OT too much, just adding another voice that there's a void at the 35mm focal length for TS lenses. "Lots" of people are using the old C/Y shift lens and the C645 35mm is better than that one.

Looking forward to seeing what you're up to here!

Marc,

Any chance of providing any more information?

I would also love to see a useable Contax 645 35mm that allowed aperture control and movements.. As a GFX owner, there is definitely something missing in the 30-35mm focal length (that allows movements).

It is the one thing holding me back from purchasing an Actus.

CAMBOUSA

Re: Cambo CA-XCD and Actus-XCD (+ "New" 35mm lens options)

I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm also not sure how to best show this off without making a thread in each sub forum.

I just remembered that a lot of interest came from this post last time. Please forgive the Copy/Paste job that some of you have already received.

22154590_1624453307617176_2792017603688215777_n.jpg22195510_1624453210950519_2679343494409897262_n.jpg

Before I give any more details I will have to state that this is NOT a regularly offered item because it requires a donor lens to build. My partners in The Netherlands briefly considered buying second hand lenses for the conversion, but found it to be not cost effective.

Retrofitting of this lens to an Actar board would require you to source and send in a Carl Zeiss Contax Distagon-35.

US users would send the lens to me, where I will pass it along to Cambo HQ in The Netherlands where it will be dis-assembled, converted to manual aperture, and mounted into the Actar panel. International users would need to partner with their closest dealer for the conversion.

This conversion cannot be reversed. Once converted the lens will be completely manual in both aperture and will require the Actus to focus using rails/bellows.

The cost of this conversion is around $1500 USD (plus any applicable taxes and shipping of the donor lens) and will be facilitated by your Cambo dealer. Please let me know which dealer you are currently work with, If you do not have a dealer that you are currently working with let me know and I will partner you with your nearest dealer to facilitate this upgrade.

You would be responsible for shipping of the donor lens from your location to my office in Atlanta. I would highly recommend sending this lens via a method that can be tracked, and includes some sort of direct signature requirement.

22218282_1624453410950499_8239865554962964356_o.jpg

From Cambo:

"This beautiful lens works perfectly paired with both mirrorless medium format cameras and Dslrs. Even with Nikon (Nikon has the longest ff-distance), thanks to the new barrel without helical.
Test shot was made with an Actus-GFX. 5mm of fall, combined with horizontal shift to enable a stitched image."

Alan

Very interesting! I take it this means there's no forthcoming C645 electronic solution.

What is the new mount - LF style w/ retaining ring? Do you have an estimated turnaround time? Any other sample images that push the limits of the image circle?

CAMBOUSA

Very interesting! I take it this means there's no forthcoming C645 electronic solution.

What is the new mount - LF style w/ retaining ring? Do you have an estimated turnaround time? Any other sample images that push the limits of the image circle?
Alan,

Here is some more information for you:

Cambo HQ said:
There’s no LF style mount with retaining ring. We offer this in a barrel/lens plate that fits directly to the Cambo Actus cameras. Just like the Actar lenses, in fact.
So its not a mount per se, the lens itself is re-built into this configuration onto the same lens plates as the current Actar lenses.

As for samples, right now there aren't too many additional available. This service is something that is not going to be offered as a wide item and will be assessed on a case by case basis for those current owners of this 35mm lens that love the "look" of it and want to use it on the Actus system.

For a user just looking for a wider angle option, it was recommended to me to look at a 35mm in a Pentax mount and use the ACB-645p Adaptor.

In terms of an ETA, I don't have one at this time. But I can say we get weekly shipments from The Netherlands, so as long as the conversion itself is not a long process, We should be able to handle it very quickly.