The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Offers New AF Module upgrade for XF

jduncan

Info link on the upgrade from Digital Transitions:
https://digitaltransitions.com/honeybee-autofocus-platform-2-hap-2-hardware-upgrade/?utm_source=Digital+Transitions+Complete+List+%28Comm+%2B+DCH%29&utm_campaign=f53bae494f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_01_31&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c2781fb3f9-f53bae494f-161137325&mc_cid=f53bae494f&mc_eid=aef237baff

- 2.5 Ev lower AF capability
- 1 stop better AF discretion in low contrast scenes
- $895
- Free if you bought the XF in the last month or so

Personal opinion, this was much needed as the lowlight AF capability of the XF was pretty poor.
As allways Phase One believing in medium format, and inovatining. If they had the money I will love to see what they will able to achive.
Good development and a testament of the adventages of modular desing (it has a bunch of problems too, like all in engeniering thiere is a tradeoff)
Good price by the way.

Best regards,

MILESF

I finally got my XF back today. It took quite a bit longer than anticipated as Phase found a number of things that needed to be upgraded and repaired to make my camera current which required a wait for parts. All of this was included in the price of the HAP2 upgrade.

I have spent the afternoon playing around with it. I started by focus trimming all of my lenses and they all changed substantially from their previous value. In my case, on average the shift was about 75 points in the positive direction from what they were before. I spent a lot of time doing this including tethering the camera to carefully analyze each frame. I am confident that I now have a camera that is well tuned for focus.
Similar experience here. The AF now seems much more sure-footed than before. Phase also updated/changed a number of things that needed doing without me asking for them (or indeed knowing they needed doing) and a slightly battered camera now feels like new again. Recalibrating my lenses was also necessary and I got shifts of the same sort of amount as EJ experienced. I struggle a bit with the Phase calibration chart. Despite a very bright light the trim tool often returned a red cross against the item 'light' when running the test. So I went to manual adjustment and then did a further calibration shooting against the brick wall outside our house. I am now very confident that all lenses are properly calibrated.

In my view well worth the cost.

ejpeiker

Similar experience here. The AF now seems much more sure-footed than before. Phase also updated/changed a number of things that needed doing without me asking for them (or indeed knowing they needed doing) and a slightly battered camera now feels like new again. Recalibrating my lenses was also necessary and I got shifts of the same sort of amount as EJ experienced. I struggle a bit with the Phase calibration chart. Despite a very bright light the trim tool often returned a red cross against the item 'light' when running the test. So I went to manual adjustment and then did a further calibration shooting against the brick wall outside our house. I am now very confident that all lenses are properly calibrated.

In my view well worth the cost.
Hi Miles, I find that doing a manual focus trim with a tethered laptop using a long ruler LensAlign II is vastly more accurate and repeatable than the new built in Lens Trim function (the same is true for Nikon who also has this in the newer bodies).

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I have just got my XF camera back (after less than a week) from having the HAP2 upgrade. I'm blown away by the amount of work done. Admittedly my XF is one of the earliest made, but it was working well. Nevertheless, Phase did the following -

Replaced the body lens mount
Replaced the base plate
Replaced the battery board and battery door
Grip Sub assembly was replaced.

A complete service check included recalibration and adjustment, the AF controlled and adjusted and of course the HAP 2 upgrade.

And although they did not mention it on the work order, I note the focussing screen (which was slightly scratched) has been replaced too.

Phase is expensive but like so many things in life, you get what you pay for. I feel like I have new camera.

Scaryink

Last week at a phase one seminar, I was able to compare my phase one xf, credo 50 ,55 ls blue ring, side by side to the same kit with the hap 2 upgrade under various lighting conditions. After testing I came to the conclusion that the difference was at best minor - to non existent under various lighting conditions - including lower light.

I have certainly decided that this upgrade is not worth the money.

Jeffrey

Scaryink: The autofocus with the lenses trimmed to the camera is far superior to what it was pre-HAP-2. I couldn't be happier with the performance.

Scaryink

Scaryink: The autofocus with the lenses trimmed to the camera is far superior to what it was pre-HAP-2. I couldn't be happier with the performance.
I was thinking of ordering the upgrade within the next week and ready to pull the trigger. Once I compared the two cameras side by side, I realized this wasn't worth $ 895 for me. Honestly I didn't think it worth it at any price. I'll wait until they get more out of the new module before an upgrade.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I have found HAP2 to be better in low light - not a dramatic shift but, for me, enough to make it worthwhile. But remember that the cost essentially includes a complete servicing and tune-up of the camera body.
Each to his own!

kdphotography

In studio, I can definitely see the difference with the HAP-2 upgrade on my XF. AF Performance is both faster and more accurate. No hunting in dim light. It definitely was worthwhile to upgrade for me.

Ken

Smoothjazz

I just got my camera back as well. I feel like the upgrade was worth it too. I spent the day trimming may lenses, and it seemed like it was more accurate to have the better AF as a starting point- trimming with live view. The better latch on the prism view finder I am sure will save me a repair down the road.