The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF firmware update #4: Focus and recompose with the XF, finally!

Steve Hendrix

Not if he doesn't upgrade. That was his whole point. He's leary about upgrading because he doesn't want to recalibrate.

I can't see anyone with an XF not - at some point - updating to Feature #4. So, you're likely to have to re-calibrate at some point anyway. However, the new process seems much quicker to accomplish, so, there is that.

Steve Hendrix/CI

ejpeiker

Not if he doesn't upgrade. That was his whole point. He's leary about upgrading because he doesn't want to recalibrate.
Ah, OK - I missed that post but see it now.

I did just recalibrate my 35mm f/3.5 BR lens as I will be shooting with it later today and it did materially change from before the update.

DrakeJ

I can't see anyone with an XF not - at some point - updating to Feature #4. So, you're likely to have to re-calibrate at some point anyway. However, the new process seems much quicker to accomplish, so, there is that.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Hey, stop making weird interpretations of my post. I simply would like to know if this update works flawlessly before I mess up my previous calibrations which took some time to perfect... :)

I've opened a support case with Phase One, but perhaps you are in the know? The automatic focus calibration process seem to rely on live view which is worthless for my IQ180, is there a hidden technique to do the automatic calibration process with a CCD back?

ejpeiker

Hey, stop making weird interpretations of my post. I simply would like to know if this update works flawlessly before I mess up my previous calibrations which took some time to perfect... :)

I've opened a support case with Phase One, but perhaps you are in the know? The automatic focus calibration process seem to rely on live view which is worthless for my IQ180, is there a hidden technique to do the automatic calibration process with a CCD back?
Yes, the easiest way with a CCD is to do it while the camera is tethered to Capture One and use that display in lieu of the Live View

msstudio

Will have to see how well it works in practice, because TrueFocus from H is not free of disadvantages as well, e.g. speed of acquiring focus especially in dim lighting is slowed down considerably...
Just had that issue yesterday, and my "dim" light were 2 ARRI 4K HMI bounced into a Muslim and one 4K through a silk. Worked out great but still slow and sometimes I just had to shoot without truefocus latching on. Not very confident shooting but everything worked out fine. Just taking it slow.

DougDolde

That was an easy update though i will likely use nothing from it, like to keep it simple and shoot
like i did with 4x5. Faster now though

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just had that issue yesterday, and my "dim" light were 2 ARRI 4K HMI bounced into a Muslim and one 4K through a silk.
What a difference a 'n' or 'm' can make to a sentence :p

At least your infidel of a spell checker didn't make the silk a Sikh. :ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Back to the original topic, I'm looking forward to hearing about when my dealer is ready to start physically processing the HAP-2 update so that I can send in my XF for the battery door & OVF clamp updates (although I seemed to have avoided any issues with my OVF coming undone easily).

Good to get everything done at once I think.

DrakeJ

I guess I will have to see if it helps in the field.

It seems more applicable to a studio.

Currently on 3 BL lenses work with it. 80mm 110mm and new 150 f2.8.

No wides or the 40-80 or 75-150.

Also no mention if non blue ring versions of the 75-150 will work.

Paul Caldwell
Just got a response from Phase One support, non blue ring lenses will not get support for AFr (focus recompose feature):

"One question I missed was regarding AFr. You will have to use blue ring lenses in order for this to work. There is insufficient communication between body and lens for this to be implemented on older type of lenses."

GrahamWelland

Just got a response from Phase One support, non blue ring lenses will not get support for AFr (focus recompose feature):

"One question I missed was regarding AFr. You will have to use blue ring lenses in order for this to work. There is insufficient communication between body and lens for this to be implemented on older type of lenses."
Boo!! That basically sucks. I wasn't aware of BR lenses having extra shared digital info vs even std LS lenses. If so, not cool Phase One. :thumbdown:

aztwang

Boo!! That basically sucks. I wasn't aware of BR lenses having extra shared digital info vs even std LS lenses. If so, not cool Phase One. :thumbdown:
Graham,

Thats what I expected. I remember when BR first came out and it was explained to me that there was more electronics in BR, thus being able to set focus trim on 3 different 110's if you wanted to. XF will recognize there is a black 110 mounted and set a/f trim but will not specify serial# but thats it.
It is a bummer black lens's do not work, dang I just put a new leaf shutter in my 110 50 frames ago, now I have to sell it.

If I were to guess I think from everything I hear its a decision made from necessity not to purposely exclude black models.

Cheers

Don

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Graham,

Thats what I expected. I remember when BR first came out and it was explained to me that there was more electronics in BR, thus being able to set focus trim on 3 different 110's if you wanted to. XF will recognize there is a black 110 mounted and set a/f trim but will not specify serial# but thats it.
It is a bummer black lens's do not work, dang I just put a new leaf shutter in my 110 50 frames ago, now I have to sell it.

If I were to guess I think from everything I hear its a decision made from necessity not to purposely exclude black models.

Cheers

Don
Correct.

To quote myself from https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...-iq180-relationship-xf-camera.html#post725996:
dougpeterson said:
As noted there are also additional pins on the BR lenses which allow for future feature development. They are not used in the current version of the XF firmware.

f8orbust

Just got a response from Phase One support ... there is insufficient communication between body and lens for this to be implemented on older type of lenses.
I wonder what the extra info that needs to be transferred is - I would have thought focal length, focus distance and aperture were pretty much all that was needed, and such info surely gets transferred with non-BR lenses already.

You don't think P1 simply wants people to upgrade to BR lenses do you ?

Surely not. :p

DougDolde

Yeah right. But seriously I don't think you need Blue Ring Schneiders unless you are shooting a 100 megapixel back and maybe not even then for some lenses

Last edited:

DrakeJ

I wonder what the extra info that needs to be transferred is - I would have thought focal length, focus distance and aperture were pretty much all that was needed, and such info surely gets transferred with non-BR lenses already.

Nooooo, it cannot be ;)

Mgreer316

Not cool at all. But the need for focus/recompose would practically drop to zero if we had more than one active focus point! I don't need 59 or 60 like high end DSLRs. Heck, I'd take 9. 4 in the corners, 4 mid way along the edges, and 1 in the center.