The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock*90mm f/5.6 HR Digaron-W/SW Lens VS The previous generation

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi,

I am wondering you've had experiences of the IQ of these 2 lenses; Rodenstock*90mm f/5.6 HR Digaron-W/SW Lens (yellow ring) VS Rodenstock 90mm HR Digaron W*(Older generation).

The price difference is very significant. Is it well worth it to get the most recent one? What is the compromises of the older lens.

My DB is IQ3100.

I know I can get the answers from here.

Thank you

Pramote

Last edited:

Jamgolf

I've always heard (and read) good things about the older HR90 so its probably worthwhile to try it if you have that option.
I think the older lens also does not need a spacer, which is something to consider (a point in its favor).
90HRSW is obviously a brilliant lens but the older 90 is also great.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I've always heard (and read) good things about the older HR90 so its probably worthwhile to try it if you have that option.
I think the older lens also does not need a spacer, which is something to consider (a point in its favor).
90HRSW is obviously a brilliant lens but the older 90 is also great.
Thanks very much! I appreciate your input. I saw outstanding result of your 90 HDSW. It has a 3D look like the 32mm I've had.
It's also a great point regarding the spacer. I am clumsy and quite nervous about moving the expensive DB in the field.

Best
Pramote

Geoff

I have the older HRW version of this lens. Its fantastic, but is quite susceptible to flare. The newer one may be better.

stngoldberg

I have the older one; I never experienced flare and used it a lot with the Arca compendium lens shade.
Lens is small;doesn't need a spacer on the Arca system and the acuity is excellent.
Stanley

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I have the older one; I never experienced flare and used it a lot with the Arca compendium lens shade.
Lens is small;doesn't need a spacer on the Arca system and the acuity is excellent.
Stanley
Hi Stanley,

Much appreciate your comment! It's great to hear the positive result.
Do you have a chance to compare to the new one (yellow ring)? Do you think some improvement of IQ (if any) justify the upgrade?
Your pictures have always shown excellent colors but I didn't know which ones were taken with the 90mm.

Thanks

Pramote

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks very much!
Can the flare be prevented by a lens shade? How good is it for shifting?

Pramote
Yes, shifts quite nicely. Very strong lens throughout.
The flare comes in from the side, when you don't expect it, so my guess is yes, a shade would help a lot. But just be aware of it as an issue. When used in grey days or early/late light, this lens shines.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Yes, shifts quite nicely. Very strong lens throughout.
The flare comes in from the side, when you don't expect it, so my guess is yes, a shade would help a lot. But just be aware of it as an issue. When used in grey days or early/late light, this lens shines.
Thanks a lot! Very useful information Pramote

stngoldberg

Sorry,Never used the new 90mm Rodie
I can't remember what I posted, but here is one taken with my 90mm three images stitched maximum shift each direction
Stanley

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Until a scumbag stole it, my 90 HR was arguably my sharpest lens until I got the 32HR. I know that the 90 HRSW is ‘better’ but the bar was already set pretty high.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Until a scumbag stole it, my 90 HR was arguably my sharpest lens until I got the 32HR. I know that the 90 HRSW is ‘better’ but the bar was already set pretty high.
I'm sorry to hear that!
It's great to hear your opinion about the 90 HR. I know in my heart the 90 HRSW is better but several thousands difference in price is very hard to justify.

Thanks very much Graham.

Pramote

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
All I’ll add is that if you have the 32HR then the 90HRSW is the quality twin. If you can afford it I’d get it as you’ll likely always be second guessing and the 90HRSW is all that it’s been described as. The differences are not huge but if quality is your benchmark then you’ll know that with the 90HRSW the only limit to your photo quality is YOU.

sorry, Dante speaking ... but if you are shooting tech then quality is everything.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
All I’ll add is that if you have the 32HR then the 90HRSW is the quality twin. If you can afford it I’d get it as you’ll likely always be second guessing and the 90HRSW is all that it’s been described as. The differences are not huge but if quality is your benchmark then you’ll know that with the 90HRSW the only limit to your photo quality is YOU.

sorry, Dante speaking ... but if you are shooting tech then quality is everything.
Graham,

You are very dangerous! I have to try to stay away from you :)

The only lens I've had, which took my breath away when I first tried was the 32 HR. It is not only sharp but also has 3D look into it. That's why the 90HRSW is the only lens which has been in my mind for years.

I think tech cameras and lenses turn out to be the most cost effective camera equipments and hold values quite well. The DSLR and DB values drop like a new car. No one wants the DF+IQ180 anymore!

Thank you very much for your dangerous advice :)

Pramote

narikin

It is a night and day difference. The Yellow ring one is *far* better. Probably the best digital MF stitching lens out there, bar none. It's effectively welded to my Alpa Max.

I've owned all 3 90mm lenses for Tech cameras, blue and yellow Roddies, and the Schneider 90/4.5. The blue ring Roddie was the one I quickly got rid of. (I kept the SK 90mm also, as its smaller and lighter for travel, but doesn't do big stitches, good for movements, and maybe a 2-way)

There's a reason why Rodenstock redesigned the blue ring 90mm lens... it simply wasn't up to high level digital tech requirements. The blue ring 70mm however is very decent, and consequently Rodenstock have not redesigned/updated that.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
It is a night and day difference. The Yellow ring one is *far* better. Probably the best digital MF stitching lens out there, bar none. It's effectively welded to my Alpa Max.

I've owned all 3 90mm lenses for Tech cameras, blue and yellow Roddies, and the Schneider 90/4.5. The blue ring Roddie was the one I quickly got rid of. (I kept the SK 90mm also, as its smaller and lighter for travel, but doesn't do big stitches, good for movements, and maybe a 2-way)

There's a reason why Rodenstock redesigned the blue ring 90mm lens... it simply wasn't up to high level digital tech requirements. The blue ring 70mm however is very decent, and consequently Rodenstock have not redesigned/updated that.
Thank you very much! It's good to hear from someone who has used all 3 90mm lenses. Pramote

jagsiva

I have the 90HRSW. While it maybe sharper, I think the bigger difference is the image circle - significantly larger than the older version.

tjv

My blue ring 90mm was lost by the courier on was back to Rodenstock for repair 😞 It was an amazing lens, save for the flare which showed up when not using a shade on overcast days. On 60mpx it was amazing far out into IC. Hard to see how new version could be sharper.

Anyone got one they're selling? (I'm poor but dreams are free...)

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I have the 90HRSW. While it maybe sharper, I think the bigger difference is the image circle - significantly larger than the older version.
My blue ring 90mm was lost by the courier on was back to Rodenstock for repair �� It was an amazing lens, save for the flare which showed up when not using a shade on overcast days. On 60mpx it was amazing far out into IC. Hard to see how new version could be sharper.

Anyone got one they're selling? (I'm poor but dreams are free...)
Thanks very much tjv & jagsiva!

Do you know what the image circles of both the 90 HRSW and the older version are?

Pramote