The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock*90mm f/5.6 HR Digaron-W/SW Lens VS The previous generation

dchew

I have an old Rodenstock lens pdf that shows the 90hr-w having a 125mm IC. The new 90hr-sw brochure shows 120mm. I put the old brochure (90hr-w) pdf up on my website:
Rodenstock_lenses_E.pdf

Here is a link to the updated brochure w/ 90hr-sw (through Alpa's website):
Rodenstock Digital Lenses.pdf

If you believe in graphs, hr-sw has:
Better MTF
About the same vignetting
Worse distortion
Slightly worse chromatic aberration (!)

Dave

Last edited:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I have an old Rodenstock lens pdf that shows the 90hr-w having a 125mm IC. The new 90hr-sw brochure shows 120mm. I put the old brochure (90hr-w) pdf up on my website:
Rodenstock_lenses_E.pdf

Here is a link to the updated brochure (through Alpa's website):
Rodenstock Digital Lenses.pdf

If you believe in graphs, hr-sw has:
Better MTF
About the same vignetting
Worse distortion
Slightly worse chromatic aberration (!)

Dave
Thanks so much!! These information is very helpful.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. The image circle of the older generation is slightly LARGER than the 90 HRSW from this information.
Can the distortion and CA be corrected in the Capture One?

Best

Pramote

dchew

Thanks so much!! These information is very helpful.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. The image circle of the older generation is slightly LARGER than the 90 HRSW from this information.
Can the distortion and CA be corrected in the Capture One?

Best

Pramote
According to their brochure, that is correct. However, the new version is sharper out at the edges, so probably has a wider usable IC. Of course "usable" is a relative term and depends on a whole lot of factors. I've never seen CA be a problem on the hrsw, so I think it should be easily fixed. I also don't think the distortion would be an issue, but I don't shoot much architecture (yet). Someone else will have to chime in on that one.

Dave

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
According to their brochure, that is correct. However, the new version is sharper out at the edges, so probably has a wider usable IC. Of course "usable" is a relative term and depends on a whole lot of factors. I've never seen CA be a problem on the hrsw, so I think it should be easily fixed. I also don't think the distortion would be an issue, but I don't shoot much architecture (yet). Someone else will have to chime in on that one.

Dave
It's great to know. Look like you've used longer more than wide-angle lens with your works (which were always remarkable).

Thanks very much for sharing!
Pramote

Last edited:

Pemihan

Re: Rodenstock 90mm f/5.6 HR Digaron-W/SW Lens VS The previous generation

I'm just resurfacing this thread with this question:

How much distortion does the Rodenstock 90mm HR Digaron W (Older generation) show?

Last edited:

Alkibiades

Hi peter,
the older 90 mm has a classic symmetric lensdesign. that means that the lens have no visible distortion.
the newer 90 mm SW has a retrofocus lensdesign. As a retrofocus lens it will have always some distortion, even very less for retrofocus lens.
At this point the older will be the winner- you cant change the physical rules.

Rodenstock put only the older 90 mm and the 70 mm, so only the 2 lenses, of the older Apo Sironar Digital lenses to the new Digaron W HR series, as lenses that can resolve new high end chips.
The new digaron SW 90 mm is even sharper at wide open and deliver bigger movements but the old one is still a good performer. I could test both and I stayed with the old one ( have two of them).

I'm just resurfacing this thread with this question:

How much distortion does the Rodenstock 90mm HR Digaron W*(Older generation) show?

Paul2660

I thought all Rodenstock optics in the HR magenta band were retrofocus design. The HR-SW was a totally new design also retrofocus. Schneider’s optics are symmetrical lens designs. All the way to the 120mm.

Paul C

Alkibiades

I thought all Rodenstock optics in the HR magenta band were retrofocus design. The HR-SW was a totally new design also retrofocus. Schneider’s optics are symmetrical lens designs. All the way to the 120mm.

Paul C
The older 90 mm was called Apo Sironar digital 5,6/90 mm and it was not a HR lens.
HR lenses were 23, 28, 35, 60, 70, 180.
After developing new HR lenses with bigger image circle Rodenstock changes the name to Digaron -W HR.The color changes to blue. So you get Digaron-W HR: 32, 40, 50, 70 (the older magenta), and 90 ( the older magenta).
rodenstock renamed the 90 mm to digaron W HR not becouse of similar lensdesign, but becouse of the possibility to resolve the new sensors. So the 90 mm is a different lens in the Digaron-W hr group.
The new Digaron WS is the new retrofocus lens with similar design and behavior like the new generation 32,40,50 mm.
that means outstanding sharpness even wide open, great sharpness till the end of the image circle, no problems with the color cast, but big and with some distortion.
The older 90 mm have bigger image circle that the new, but the sharpness out of the center decrease more than the new. this is the difference between the rodenstock retrofocus design and the symetrical. The apo sironar digital lenses that have symmetrical design like schneider are: 35, 45, 55, 100, 120,135,150, 180 ( the non HR version ) and the 210mm.
The interesting point is that schneider and not rodenstock startet with a retrofocus lens: the older Digitar L 2,8/28mm (60 mm image circle). But they did not continued this way.

Paul2660

Thanks for the info. It's never easy to get info on the tech glass. It's still confusing for me, since as I recall when Rodenstock renamed the 90mm the HR-W, gave it the blue ring, Arca's mount added a slight back extension. Where as the Arca mount for the 90mm Magenta band had none. I have been told it was the same optics, just named. The HR-SW is of course huge, and needs the back extension.

Paul C

narikin

It is a night and day difference. The Yellow ring one is *far* better. Probably the best digital MF stitching lens out there, bar none. It's effectively welded to my Alpa Max.

I've owned all 3 90mm lenses for Tech cameras, blue and yellow Roddies, and the Schneider 90/4.5. The blue ring Roddie was the one I quickly got rid of. (I kept the SK 90mm also, as its smaller and lighter for travel, but doesn't do big stitches, good for movements, and maybe a 2-way)

There's a reason why Rodenstock redesigned the blue ring 90mm lens... it simply wasn't up to high level digital tech requirements. The blue ring 70mm however is very decent, and consequently Rodenstock have not redesigned/updated that.
I'll repeat my earlier post above, having owned all three 90mm lenses.

One update to it: Rodenstock are now re-designing the 70mm, so we can expect a 70mm HR-SW next year.

(Oh, and prices have gone up by 25% this fall courtesy of tariff's. 'Lenses' was an item randomly thrown into the Boeing-Airbus dispute. Sigh)

Pemihan

(Oh, and prices have gone up by 25% this fall courtesy of tariff's. 'Lenses' was an item randomly thrown into the Boeing-Airbus dispute. Sigh)
Thank God I'm living in the EU - at least when it comes to German lenses, Dutch cameras and Danish digital backs :D

Pemihan

Thanks for all the info guys. Very helpful.

I'm still a little lost about what to get (if any) I'm looking at the Rodie 90mm HR Digaron and the SK 90 Apo-Digitar. Price-wise the Rodie is a little more but that wont affect the decision. The new Rodie 90HRSW is out of the equation for the time being.

Besides landscapes I would be using it for copy work (paintings) and I'm looking at SK 80 Apo-Digitar for that as well, but 90mm fits more natural in my lens line up between SK60XL and SK120 Asph.

narikin

Thank God I'm living in the EU - at least when it comes to German lenses, Dutch cameras and Danish digital backs :D
'Luckily' it's just lenses and not the rest. It's so random - why a camera lens and not a camera body?

And yes that includes all Rodenstock and Schneider ones, and (eg) Japanese made but 'German designed' ones, and Alpa mounted 'Swiss' ones.

A 90mm HRSW is now 25% more to US customers than it was 3 months ago.

narikin

Thanks for all the info guys. Very helpful.

I'm still a little lost about what to get (if any) I'm looking at the Rodie 90mm HR Digaron and the SK 90 Apo-Digitar. Price-wise the Rodie is a little more but that wont affect the decision. The new Rodie 90HRSW is out of the equation for the time being.

Besides landscapes I would be using it for copy work (paintings) and I'm looking at SK 80 Apo-Digitar for that as well, but 90mm fits more natural in my lens line up between SK60XL and SK120 Asph.
The Schneider SK 90mm. It's sharper, faster and lighter. Has a slightly smaller IC, but much better res within that.

A new aperture only version came out this year, and people re-discovered how good this lens is. Search this forum for big positive comments on it.

dchew

Peter,
I have a post somewhere recently that compares the hrs with the sk90. Definitely a difference but not as dramatic as I thought it would be. I agree with Narikin. Little to quibble with the sk90 out to the low 90mm image circle.

I still have some raw files posted I think.

Dave

Last edited:

Pemihan

The Schneider SK 90mm. It's sharper, faster and lighter. Has a slightly smaller IC, but much better res within that.

A new aperture only version came out this year, and people re-discovered how good this lens is. Search this forum for big positive comments on it.
Thanks, I'm kinda leaning towards the Schneider. As far as I found out it should at least be on par with the Rodie HR so the size and weight is certainly in it's favor. Another point is that I just learned that it can be mounted in Cambo WRS T/S mount which the Rodie can't (T/S).

Pemihan

Peter,
I have a thread somewhere recently that compares the hrs with the sk90. Definitely a difference but not as dramatic as I thought it would be. I agree with Narikin. Little to quibble with the sk90 out to the low 90mm image circle.

I still have some raw files posted I think.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

Peter