The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rz67proiid and p65+

robdeszan

Hello All,

I am having some trouble syncing a newly purchased proiid body with my p65+. It does not seem to communicate with the digital back.

Once the DB is connected, the shutter release stops responding. The body works fine on its own (in M mode), it works ok with a film back. (again M mode) but once the digital interface comes into play and the back is "On" the camera stops responding.

You can release the shutter in the emergency mechanical mode when the back is on but no image is recorded - I doubt it would work that way anyway as the p65+ back needs the body to be powered on to recognize it anyway. Also, when I press the shutter a few times in succession - the shutter feels 'slack' as if you've forgotten to cock the shutter - it does occasionally fire (1 out of 10 times but not always) but, again, no image is recorded.

I think I've ticked all the boxes in terms of settings, batteries, checked the hx701 adapter with a multimeter (PCB is not damaged and connectors work fine i.e. the connector pins correspond to the PCB's layout) tried a different lens, downgraded to an older firmware on the DB - all to no avail.

My DB works absolutely fine on a PhaseOne DF, which uses an even more sophisticated digital interface but I've never had a chance to test it on another rzproiid. I already use the DB on a RZ pro II but it uses a sync cable so the interface is different.

The settings are Normal Latency mode with RZ67ProIID mode active. Does anything else come to mind?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

neil

I just tried a p65 on a pro2d and got it to work. It did not work first time. The body beeped a few times and I had to restart the digital back and wind the rz rewind lever and I had to change both the digital back battery to a fully charged one and the rz battery. Seems it’s quite finicky on startup but once working it works. To start with it had same symptoms as yours but after changing batteries it started working.

Firmware is newest. Normal latency mode. Set to rz mode in digital back camera setting.

Try changing the batteries

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Do you have a local Phase One dealer? Worth giving them a call. Heck, if you don't have a local dealer I'd give CI or DT who advertise here a call because I'm absolutely certain that they'll help you out even if you aren't an existing customer. It's generally how they roll ... :thumbs:

robdeszan

Appreciate the suggestions. The camera is silent. No warning sounds. The LEDs don't tend to flash up in M or emergency shutter mode on either of the cameras.

The body arrived with a depleted battery. Used a working one from my RZProII, then tested it on another fresh battery and another brand new one. All working batteries read above 6.5V so they are definitely working.

I mounted all my 6 lenses - none made any difference.

Interestingly, I tried to replicate the setup from my RZproII body this morning (Zero Latency, Normal Camera Mode and the PhaseOne 50300143 sync cable connected) on the new proIID body and it is also does not work consistently. If I turn the back first then the camera, I am able to record the image only once; on the very first shutter button press – as expected – but the camera then becomes unresponsive and behaves just like I described it initially: the shutter button is ‘slack’ and it releases the shutter very erratically and only on multiple consecutive tries with no apparent patterns.

Also, when you turn the DB first and then camera, the shutter works every time (no image recorded though). This works in RZ67proIId mode (normal latency) only and it does not work in Normal camera mode. If you turn the camera first and then the back, the shutter does not work right from the start and is unresponsive/erratic.

With just the adapter connected, I can see it draws power from the camera body. There are eight contact points on the adapter

o o o o o o o o

and counting from the left (adapter in horizontal position), the 2nd and the 7th show a 4.28V reading; the reading drops by 0.01V to 4.27V when the shutter is released (serial communication with the DB?) and goes back to 4.28V. No other contact points show any readings.

Thanks again!

neil

There is another posting here about the different adapter plates with same name. One of which works with both rz pro 2 d and rzpro 2.
The other works only with rz pro 2 d and not rz pro 2.
So maybe you cannot expect your adapter to work on both cameras.

The only other thing I can think of trying is rotate the digital back to vertical orientation so the other set of adapter pins contacts and try again.

Also try giving the pins a good clean on both camera and adapter body. On camera back press the pins in and they bounce back. This makes sure they are actually springing to contact the adapter plate.

( around shutter release button. You can turn a ring which in red position stops shutter firing. White position is normal mode. There is also an orange position. Make sure it’s not set to this orange position. My digital back will not record an image if it’s set to orange no battery 1/400 emergency mechanical shutter )

Last edited:

robdeszan

Hi Neil,

I have the Hx701 v2 with the notch for darkslide pin. I've ticked all the boxes you are suggesting already but appreciate your reply. It's easy to miss the obvious bits at times.

Tried both orientations; cleaned the pins/contacts; pins bounce back as they should and line up with the connector. Shutter ring is in white dot position. The back is physically seated properly as well. I connected an L grip to test the auxiliary electronic shutter release socket. Installed a winder... all with no luck.

I tried to take the same shot with both cameras with identical settings and the proIId (adapter, no sync cable attached, in Zero lattency & Normal camera mode) managed to record an image that looks exactly the same as the RZproII in terms of exposure; the plane of focus is the same between the cameras as well. The metadata is incorrect; it shows 1/1000s for Proiid and the 1/250s for for ProIIz, even though the histograms are almost identical.

I still had no luck recording an image in the expected RZ67proIId setup.

Bummer...

There is another posting here about the different adapter plates with same name. One of which works with both rz pro 2 d and rzpro 2.
The other works only with rz pro 2 d and not rz pro 2.
So maybe you cannot expect your adapter to work on both cameras.

The only other thing I can think of trying is rotate the digital back to vertical orientation so the other set of adapter pins contacts and try again.

Also try giving the pins a good clean on both camera and adapter body. On camera back press the pins in and they bounce back. This makes sure they are actually springing to contact the adapter plate.

( around shutter release button. You can turn a ring which in red position stops shutter firing. White position is normal mode. There is also an orange position. Make sure it’s not set to this orange position. My digital back will not record an image if it’s set to orange no battery 1/400 emergency mechanical shutter )

Last edited:

robdeszan

a quick update. I tested the equipment earlier today on another proIId, a DF and a different adapter plate.

To my relief the DB is absolutely fine; it works on the Df and the other phototgrapher's RZproIId and his adapter plate. The proIID that I recently purchased is also fine (as tested on his back and his adapter and my back and his adapter). So... (to my amazement) my HX701 adapter plate is in fact faulty. Despite all the continuity checks, despite resistance measurements and no visible damage to the PCB inside it simply refuses to work! I have already cleaned all connector points thoroughly so it might need the internal PCB replacement. It is not physically warped either.

Last edited: