The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Great Smoky Mtns. 2017 - Who is Going?

dave.gt

As time slips by so very quickly, I regret that we can not go on our annual 3-day Fall getaway this year. We have made it every year for 45 years. This year I hope to make it for a long day-trip, as tiring as that will surely be...

Is anyone planning on making it to the Smokies for the Fall Foliage?:)

dave.gt

As time slips by so very quickly, I regret that we can not go on our annual 3-day Fall getaway this year. We have made it every year for 45 years. This year I hope to make it for a long day-trip, as tiring as that will surely be...

Is anyone planning on making it to the Smokies for the Fall Foliage?:)
What has been left untouched by last year's deadly wildfire?!:banghead:

Last edited:

dave.gt

Ok, no one is going.

Scratch that, a day trip counts as "going" so, YES! I am going! But not to make amazing photographs to post online. No, I am going to rest our weary souls and bask in the magnificent colors of Autumn while enjoying a picnic in the park.

Should an opportunity occur where I see something and go with it, then I may return with a few images. Most likely, they will be personal as this is our 46th anniversary annual tour. In the past, we have done these trips in various modes of transportation, including our 51 MGTD on our 35th tour.

This time, we will be in our 20-year old SUV with no reservations. No luggage. No fly rod. No map. No schedule. Just a phone for emergencies and a single camera, maybe a film camera only... bohemian lifestyle?

The road beckons.:)

Knorp

Sorry, Dave - it sounds like a lot of fun, but it's more than a day trip for me ...
Anyway, have a great time.

Kind regards.

dave.gt

Sorry, Dave - it sounds like a lot of fun, but it's more than a day trip for me ...
Anyway, have a great time.

Kind regards.
Hey, thanks!

It is a hard day trip, for us too. :) If it were not for our tradition, I would not venture so far... but good habits are hard to break. I cannot imagine the dreary winter without some mountain time! Must be my Scottish DNA? Lol, as much as I love the beach, the highlands are where my heart lies.:cool:

Eric Reschly

Are there details somewhere for this trip? Sounds fun. My wife and I hiked through on our Appalachian thru hike many years ago.

dave.gt

Hi, Eric,

Sorry I have been chained to the computer all day.
The Appalachian Trail... always wanted to try that but life got in the way. But we have always loved The Smokies and trips have become a family heritage of sorts. This year, having finally gotten into Dante's "spa", I was hoping to meet some MF members who might have scheduled a Fall photo trip. However, life has gotten in our way once again, so I never went any further than inquiring.

But a picnic in the mountains on a long day trip sounds like all we can afford, so I will be headed up there soon...

As a side note: this time we will be looking for scenic locations that are wheelchair friendly (for my wife) as it will just be the two of us.

It has me wondering if there is an off-road wheelchair/scooter or something that would make it easier to get to waterfalls, etc., we find carrying gear is difficult but pushing a manual wheelchair on top of that makes it much harder.

I suspect I will only have time to stop at a couple of locations so we will choose our locations carefully. No idea where at the moment.:)

Eric Reschly

Thanks for the response. It would be pretty neat to meet up with other MF photographers from the forum. I think it is too late this year for us to plan a trip but maybe next year.
The AT was an awesome experience. We want to go again with my 5 kids but. . . That is a bit more work to make happen. Lol. . .

GregMO

Hi, Eric,

Sorry I have been chained to the computer all day.
The Appalachian Trail... always wanted to try that but life got in the way. But we have always loved The Smokies and trips have become a family heritage of sorts. This year, having finally gotten into Dante's "spa", I was hoping to meet some MF members who might have scheduled a Fall photo trip. However, life has gotten in our way once again, so I never went any further than inquiring.

But a picnic in the mountains on a long day trip sounds like all we can afford, so I will be headed up there soon...

As a side note: this time we will be looking for scenic locations that are wheelchair friendly (for my wife) as it will just be the two of us.

It has me wondering if there is an off-road wheelchair/scooter or something that would make it easier to get to waterfalls, etc., we find carrying gear is difficult but pushing a manual wheelchair on top of that makes it much harder.

I suspect I will only have time to stop at a couple of locations so we will choose our locations carefully. No idea where at the moment.:)
Dave,

Hello. I spent about at week in the Smokies last October. I would say, wheel chair friendly walks:

Clingmans Dome. It's a paved 1/2 mile walk to the dome. It is a pretty steep incline if pushing a wheel chair. The views are great from both the top of the dome (360 degree) & also from the parking area. (Center of park)

The Sinks is another one worth seeing. The parking area is next to the waterfall. (North end of park)

View from Clingmans Dome:
Clingmans Dome- Great Smoky Mts- Panf-617.jpg

Section of river just before the Sinks waterfall:
Little River- Great Smoky Mts- Acros-617.jpg

dave.gt

Dave,

Hello. I spent about at week in the Smokies last October. I would say, wheel chair friendly walks:

Clingmans Dome. It's a paved 1/2 mile walk to the dome. It is a pretty steep incline if pushing a wheel chair. The views are great from both the top of the dome (360 degree) & also from the parking area. (Center of park)

The Sinks is another one worth seeing. The parking area is next to the waterfall. (North end of park)

View from Clingmans Dome:
View attachment 129671

Section of river just before the Sinks waterfall:
View attachment 129672
Well, I am just now catching up... thank you for this post, great info and beautiful photos!:):):)

I really appreciate it!

Regretfully, we never made it to the mountains. For the first time in 46 years, we failed to celebrate in our favorite place in the world. Sigh...