The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A MF camera that produces the "medium format look".

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yet, the 50MP sensors did not have that look? Perhaps greater resolving power lowers contrast. Lower MP backs place a limit to resolving power resulting in capturing lower frequency detail, which by its nature has more contrast. There is even a thread here for fat-pixel digital backs where a common comment is about their dimensional look. King of interesting if you think about it...
I think that is correct. I saw something similar when I shot the 12MP D700 and the 36MP D810 together. The D700 always seemed to give the images more depth. With film, Portra 400 seems to render more depth than the beautiful, but rather flat looking Portra 160. There are tons of variables affecting this, but to me, the trend seems clear.

engardeknave

Not Available
:eek: Currently looking to buy some new gear, I just sold my H4D-31.

The cheapest MF digital offerings, gfx-50 and the X1d have small sensors and don't produce that Medium format look and feel like the big sensor offerings, I have had the X1d for two weeks trial and sent it back without purchasing.

The big sensor blads and PO's are £30k and out of my range. I have a mate who is offering me a used Phase One P65+ back for £5k.

It has a 40.4 X 54.9mm sensor which is imo the right size and where it gets interesting, I believe it also has CCD tech rather than CMOS, I prefer CCD colours.

I found myself in the same position not too long ago. I got an H4X/IQ180. I really enjoy the results I'm having, but found the kit to be a little impractical for what I do, so I'm selling the kit. I suspect I may be able to leverage other peripheral advantages with a different setup to have a net gain in the overall quality of my work, even if each individual photo is 5% less "magical". For example, if you can nail more good shots per shoot, are you going to be more likely to have a much better hero shot? For what I do at least, I think so.

I hear the P65+ has a really primitive interface that is hard to work with. Something to consider. The IQ180 is a really nice touch screen. I'm not sure that's a feature I'm willing to compromise on again.

RobbieAB

The cheapest MF digital offerings, gfx-50 and the X1d have small sensors and don't produce that Medium format look and feel like the big sensor offerings, I have had the X1d for two weeks trial and sent it back without purchasing.

The big sensor blads and PO's are £30k and out of my range. I have a mate who is offering me a used Phase One P65+ back for £5k.

It has a 40.4 X 54.9mm sensor which is imo the right size and where it gets interesting, I believe it also has CCD tech rather than CMOS, I prefer CCD colours.
Worth bearing in mind that, if you are planning to mount to a PO SLR body, the P65+ isn't compatible with the XF body. For that you would need the IQ160. How much of a limitation this is will depend on your plans for the system.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Just to say, I feel there is a lot of MFD hype. But, if you want "feet wet" in MFD I would think that at P65+ is a good option.

Personally, I spent 10k$US on a P45+, five years ago. I would guess I also spent a similar amount on lenses.

The experience was a bit sobering. But have not being there you don't know.

It may also depend on your needs. If you need a studio cam, it may be great. Doing travel? May be! Doing architecture? May be!

Personally, I feel that MFD did not work for me. For the amount spent I could have done a lot of travel or taken part in 5-6 workshops.

If you don't regard money as a finite asset, MFD is just great. If you do, it is a different case, you need to define your priorities.

Best regards
Erik